Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Not a careers question but unfortunately this is the only teaching/education forum in TSR so there isn't really anywhere else to post this.

Basically I'm doing a project on how much of the current maths curriculum should be compulsory. As part of this I'm looking at all the changes coming out of the 14-19 review thing and functional skills stuff.

My question, for anyone who understands these reforms, is simply whether Maths & English GCSE are going to remain compulsory? There's stuff on the DCSF website about functional skills being studied by everyone, and incorporated into GCSE's and Diplomas as well as being offered as stand alone qualifications. But nowhere I can see gives a definitive answer as to whether GCSE Maths will remain compulsory, or whether Diplomas/Apprenticeships alongside function skills would be enough?

If anyone does understand all this and could shed some light on it I'd be very appreciative, the DCSF website seems to be a lot of propaganda and not a great deal of substance.

Cheers,
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by andy5788)
    Hello!

Not a careers question but unfortunately this is the only teaching/education forum in TSR so there isn't really anywhere else to post this.

Basically I'm doing a project on how much of the current maths curriculum should be compulsory. As part of this I'm looking at all the changes coming out of the 14-19 review thing and functional skills stuff.

My question, for anyone who understands these reforms, is simply whether Maths & English GCSE are going to remain compulsory? There's stuff on the DCSF website about functional skills being studied by everyone, and incorporated into GCSE's and Diplomas as well as being offered as stand alone qualifications. But nowhere I can see gives a definitive answer as to whether GCSE Maths will remain compulsory, or whether Diplomas/Apprenticeships alongside function skills would be enough?

If anyone does understand all this and could shed some light on it I'd be very appreciative, the DCSF website seems to be a lot of propaganda and not a great deal of substance.

Cheers,
    Hello. GCSE english and mathematics are not and never have been compulsory. Plenty of children do not take GCSEs as they are too weak academically and the IGCSE is a very popular alternative in the independent sector. Children do have to study english and mathematics but they do not need to be examined in these subjects.

Mathematics functional skills are embedded within GCSE mathematics with effect from September 2010. This means that each GCSE will include some functional skills questions. Unfortunately, it is possible to get every single FS question wrong and still pass so a GCSE Grade C or above in mathematics will NOT satisfy the Diploma FS requirements. Anyone taking a Diploma will still need to pass standalone FS tests at the appropriate levels.

Are you aware that, with effect from September 2010, 10% of schools will be teaching two GCSEs in mathematics, "Methods" and "Applications"? These are pilot qualifications which are highly likely to be rolled out to everyone in 2013.

The Conservatives are determined to scrap the Diploma if they form the next Government and FS might be chopped too as the pass rate is both appalling and embarrassing.

Another thing on the horizon (yet to be announced, remember where you heard it first) is that there is to be an expectation that 16-18 year olds all study some form of mathematics after the compulsory education leaving age rises. "Use of mathematics" or "Use of statistics" anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Hello. GCSE english and mathematics are not and never have been compulsory. Plenty of children do not take GCSEs as they are too weak academically and the IGCSE is a very popular alternative in the independent sector. Children do have to study english and mathematics but they do not need to be examined in these subjects.

Mathematics functional skills are embedded within GCSE mathematics with effect from September 2010. This means that each GCSE will include some functional skills questions. Unfortunately, it is possible to get every single FS question wrong and still pass so a GCSE Grade C or above in mathematics will NOT satisfy the Diploma FS requirements. Anyone taking a Diploma will still need to pass standalone FS tests at the appropriate levels.

Are you aware that, with effect from September 2010, 10% of schools will be teaching two GCSEs in mathematics, "Methods" and "Applications"? These are pilot qualifications which are highly likely to be rolled out to everyone in 2013.

The Conservatives are determined to scrap the Diploma if they form the next Government and FS might be chopped too as the pass rate is both appalling and embarrassing.

Another thing on the horizon (yet to be announced, remember where you heard it first) is that there is to be an expectation that 16-18 year olds all study some form of mathematics after the compulsory education leaving age rises. "Use of mathematics" or "Use of statistics" anyone?
    Hi, sorry for quoting you again but just a few more questions and I didn't want you to miss it.

Firstly I had heard about the two GCSE's but from what I read I kind of figured they'd been scrapped so that's interesting. Do you know where there is any information on this?

Secondly, I suppose what I meant by 'compulsory' wasn't really compulsory... What I'm looking to work out is whether it will still be expected that the majority of pupils (whether doing Dipoma's, modern Apprenticeships or GCSE's) would be entered for GCSE Maths.

Thanks very much for your help though, the DCSF website is all propaganda and no content so that's helped a lot!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Firstly I had heard about the two GCSE's but from what I read I kind of figured they'd been scrapped so that's interesting. Do you know where there is any information on this?
    http://www.qcda.gov.uk/24956.aspx

What I'm looking to work out is whether it will still be expected that the majority of pupils (whether doing Dipoma's, modern Apprenticeships or GCSE's) would be entered for GCSE Maths.
    There are no proposals to change the current position. Every student who is capable of taking GCSE mathematics in a state school will continue to be entered for this qualification. Apart from anything else, the key indicator by which schools are judged in league tables is the percentage of their cohort attaining five A* to C grades at GCSE including mathematics and english language.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok fair enough. That clears a lot up. I think the diplomas keep getting mixed up in my mind with the proper Tomlinson full blown replacement to GCSE's. Thanks fior your help!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.