Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can airmen in the RAF have a bash at P-Coy or the Commando Course? Even if its not really related to their job (weapons tech), as this is what im applying for, but having a go at one of the above is something im interested in doing. (but dont want to be a Para or Marine)

Is it just the sort of thing anyone can apply for? Or do you have to be in certain roles, such as likely to do something involving that sort of thing?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Technically almost anyone can apply, but it's obviously a course for specific people. If there's space, other people can take part, but I wouldn't count on a). getting a space on a course and b). actually getting permission to be off work to do it!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    As Wzz says, there is a theoretical possibility, but in practice it is very rare. I believe the current Stn Cdr at RAF Lyneham can wear a dagger on his arm. He used to wear it on his flying suit when he was a baby co-pilot! However, he did the course when he was holding before flying training and he had contacts! I'm afraid it has probably gone the way of getting your parachute wings - overwhelmed by lack of courses and spare capacity, costs and paperwork.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand that. Its just I like having targets for my fitness, so knowing I have P-Coy in X amount of months would be pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    Ollie,

I would think that it is now practically impossible. In previous times it was not unusual to be allowed to apply for P-Coy or the All-arms if you had the motivation and enough time available. However, there has since been a rethink and policy change on what was referred to as "military tourism" or "badge collecting". Unless you have a need to do the course related to your primary duty, there's unlikely to be a chance.

Andy

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough! To be honest, I would probably class in that category, but I would have liked to have a dig at something that was a complete challenge!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you honestly think the armed forces of any nation will pay for you to do whatever course you please just because you want to? I mean really?? If you want to collect badges, join the boy scouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ub2008)
    Do you honestly think the armed forces of any nation will pay for you to do whatever course you please just because you want to? I mean really?? If you want to collect badges, join the boy scouts.
    I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, but the military encourages it's members to get on AT courses via means such as JSAT. This means you can apply for courses varying from parachuting to winter climbing, and they pay for it.

So yes, I do think the armed forces of this nation will pay for people to do certain courses if they want to and it doesn't make me, or anyone else a boy scout.

ReputationRep:
    You are a tool. I can assure you that one does not do p coy all arms commando or any other MILITARY course unless there is actually a reason for it.You do have the wrong end of the stick, AT courses are entirely different from p coy and the AACC.

ReputationRep:
    As has been said above there is a possiblity of doing the course, albeit a pretty small one relating to a lot of different factors. In actual fact a guy I work with - techie trade - has started P Company once already but binned through injury, and is due to restart in 2 months time.

Like most things in the military, if you want it and are prepared to push yourself forward for it there is a chance you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    You are a tool. I can assure you that one does not do p coy all arms commando or any other MILITARY course unless there is actually a reason for it.You do have the wrong end of the stick, AT courses are entirely different from p coy and the AACC.
    Make a point, but try not to be such a moron.

Yes AT courses are different, well done, but in your first post you said 'courses' not 'MILITARY courses' as you so nicely put the second time.

Try to be a little clearer, tool.

ReputationRep:
    Lets say for example your a member of Int Corps, could you not apply to do AACC or P Coy? I mean, is there any kind of aspect of that job which "requires" you to have such a course under your belt? If not, then perhaps a list of trades might be useful for anyone interested? Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. I had my wings and dagger and I was Armoured Corps.

ReputationRep:
    The armoured corps is a completely different kettle of fish to an airman trade in the RAF, there is/was a para roled RAC squadron and its a teeth arm so doing a course like p coy or AACC is less pointless than a RAF REMF doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Generally you wont get on the all Arms Commando Course or P Coy/ Jumps course if there is not a military need for you to do so.

There is a big back log of people who need to get there parachute jumps in to qualify who actually are in jobs where they need to do this.

There are a couple of RAF officer slots on 3 Cdo Brigade and the officers posted there could go on the Commando course if they wanted to. I know one of the Flt Lts there has done so and has his green beret.

Likewise there are a couple of RAF posts in 16 AA Bde HQ and anyone in the brigade can apply to go on the parachute course.

The jobs are working in the air liaison team - so we are talking about officer aircrew, Flt Ops etc.

Other than that it is going to be really diffcult to see how you could do these courses.

There are a couple of non RAF Regt trades in 2 Sqn RAF Regt and the people there could do the RAF Regt P Coy and jumps course if they could handle it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    less pointless than a RAF REMF doing it.
    You don't let up do you? There are REMF para qualified airmen out there - TACATC and TSW are but two I can mention. Obviously they are blunt - hence why they do it :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The armoured corps is a completely different kettle of fish to an airman trade in the RAF, there is/was a para roled RAC squadron and its a teeth arm so doing a course like p coy or AACC is less pointless than a RAF REMF doing it.
    You're clutching at straws there. A para-roled RAC sqn that possibly no longer exists is a good reason for one person doing P-coy, but it's irrelevant to someone in the RAF?

I've worked with plenty of people who've done one course or the other when it was absolutely nothing to do with their primary role. The last OC 6 Sqn was all over the news when his sqn was getting rid of the Jaguar, standing there in a flying suit with a green beret and RAF badge, for example.

The courses are very busy, but you can certainly look at applying, and you don't need to have some tenuous link to do it.

ReputationRep:
    It is not realistic to tell someone who is joining the RAF as a weapons tech that he/she will be able to do p coy and/or AACC just because they want the badge and pretty beret. The only sure fire way of doing wither course is to join the paras or marines or a unit such as 7 RHA (para roled) or 59 independent commando squadron RE. Hell, even 2 sqn RAF regt get para wings. This forum has a lot of lurkers, and they may get the idea that doing one of these courses as a RAF airman is a sure thing if they get fit enough. This is not really the case, and, although Im sure there are RAF REMF types who are para/commando badged, im betting that you can count them on one hand.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    No, it's not realistic to join as an AMM and assume you'll be able to to the AACC at some point. But it's also not accurate to say that you can never do it when plenty of people have.

Should HERRICK draw to a close, there'll be more capacity on the courses, and neither of us have any idea who'll be able to get onto them.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have started off a little debate haha

This may also sound dumb, but what trade is AMM? I see the term thrown around loads, is it Aircraft Tech?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.