Turn on thread page Beta

Why have class rings never taken off in the UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    So i'm spending a year out in a north american high school and they sell loads of school spirit stuff and since we came back after xmas have been seriously pushing school rings. They seem to be a really popular concept over here and i just wondered why class rings haven't taken off back home in the same way proms, leavers hoodies and even yearbooks seem to have.

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fliss_pop)
    So i'm spending a year out in a north american high school and they sell loads of school spirit stuff and since we came back after xmas have been seriously pushing school rings. They seem to be a really popular concept over here and i just wondered why class rings haven't taken off back home in the same way proms, leavers hoodies and even yearbooks seem to have.

Opinions?
    I'd buy a class hoody if it was warm and comfy, I'd probably even buy a yearbook...but no way would I want a ring. I'm not in to jewelry anyway, much less a ring, and much less a ring which everyone else in my year has. I'm a guy, by the way.

Must be a culture thing somehow - but I really couldn't see them taking off here.

ReputationRep:
    I think they sound like a nice idea! I'm not sure why they haven't taken off although I don't think it is likely they will :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.

I think another reason is that rings are used in America for other things - like American footballs teams being given them when they compete in the Super Bowl (See: Ace Ventura). This probably gives 'Class of...' and 'Team of...' rings a bit more status.

ReputationRep:
    We have no school spirit here, it's doomed to fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    We have no school spirit here, it's doomed to fail.
    This. High school and "the best years of your life" are a big deal in America.

In the UK it seems like school like the rest of childhood is something to get over and done with as quickly as possible and forgotten just as fast.

Nothing glamorous about school for us. Look at our TV and stuff that depict school life. It seems to always show bullies, getting embarrassed, lots of negative stereotypes of school.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's American and we're not, simple.

ReputationRep:
    Because there's no point.

ReputationRep:
    We don't get hoodies or yearbooks either

ReputationRep:
    Because American traditions are ******y.

It annoys me when I see departments at my uni giving out "A/B/C" grades instead of % like the proper university way.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm i dont like the idea of it im not a jewelry fan id stick with hoodies we never had a yearbook either suppose we all kinda hate school and couldnt wait for it to be over !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)

It annoys me when I see departments at my uni giving out "A/B/C" grades instead of % like the proper university way.
    You should pop a cap in their collective asses for their Americanised ways.

I heard that's popular in the States too.

ReputationRep:
    It would just get nicked wouldn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)

Write to the Chancellor to complain, TBH. That's just out of order! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind British schools actually doing proper yearbooks, it's a good idea. Certainly better than just having one picture to remind yourself of your time at school and your classmates. But class rings are just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Believe me, you guys don't want them. It's a waste of money. I didn't really want one but EVERYONE else was getting one and my mom forced me to get one. I have never worn it. it just sits on my desk. And at my stupid school we have a tradition called "ringing". Traditionally, students get their rings during their Junior year of high school. So the day after the Juniors get their rings, they go around hitting the underclassmen on the head with the stone side of their ring. It really effin hurts. They actually made this one kid's ear bleed this year because so many people "ringed" him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.