Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this is a serious question, and I'm just innocently curious, don't mean any offence to anyone. And before someone says it, no, I'm not being facetious.

Would you have any sort of problem living with all people of one colour, while you were another? This is aimed more at white people; for housing for 2nd year at uni, would you be a little apprehensive or whatever about getting a house with people who were all, say, Asian?
    I'm Indian, and I don't have a problem at all living with all white people, but obviously, I live in England so not really any culture problem. But would it be the same the other way round?

Again, I'm honestly curious, and no offence intended to anyone!

ReputationRep:
    Personally? No, I doubt it would bother me as long as the people I were living with were decent - but that applies to all people.

ReputationRep:
    It would honestly depend on what they were like, and whether they were the type of people to inflict their religion and culture on other people when it's not wanted.

ReputationRep:
    it wouldnt bother me. Im indian too, none of my flat mates are, its cool

ReputationRep:
    Not really, i'e hung out in friendship circles where i'm the only white guy a fair few times.

I guess i would feel kinda cut out though if everyone was speaking a language that i couldn't. But as long as they wen't trying to seperate themselves from me, i don't think i'd have a problem

ReputationRep:
    If I was with them through choice and liked them, don't see any problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really like it to be honest. I'm not racist, but it would be just annoying, since sometimes it's harder to mix.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly... Being white, and living in a place where there are a very small minority of races other than white.. I would probably feel a bit odd if I had turned up at uni to move into my halls and found I was living with 10 people who were asian or 10 people who were black etc.
    Just because I'm not used to being in that environment. I'm in a flat of 11, and 9 of us are white, we have one black girl and one asian girl but both have lived in the UK all their lives and have strong northern accents and all the people in their friendship groups are white.
    I think if I was in a flat with all people like this, their would be no difference and no problem.
    But however, if all of them were international students, didn't speak very good english or had strong accents, totally different views and cultures to me and hung out with all people from their own races.. that would intimidate me as much as the next person.

Basically, for me it's nothing to do with race, it's just about cultures and how opposing they are. How welcoming different groups are towards each other and comfortable you are made to feel in the environment.

ReputationRep:
    The only time it would bother me is if they were particularly religious and preachy - but anyone of any colour can be preachy, so their skin colour is of no consequence to me.

I lived in halls with 1 English girl and 2 Vietnamese guys and the only thing I knew about them was that they ate a lot of rice. They kept themselves to themselves for the entire time I was there, maybe they were just shy I don't know. Didn't bother me at all other than the fact that they didn't speak to me once!

ReputationRep:
    i would want to live with all white people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmgrem)
    Honestly... Being white, and living in a place where there are a very small minority of races other than white.. I would probably feel a bit odd if I had turned up at uni to move into my halls and found I was living with 10 people who were asian or 10 people who were black etc.
    Just because I'm not used to being in that environment. I'm in a flat of 11, and 9 of us are white, we have one black girl and one asian girl but both have lived in the UK all their lives and have strong northern accents and all the people in their friendship groups are white.
    I think if I was in a flat with all people like this, their would be no difference and no problem.
    But however, if all of them were international students, didn't speak very good english or had strong accents, totally different views and cultures to me and hung out with all people from their own races.. that would intimidate me as much as the next person.

Basically, for me it's nothing to do with race, it's just about cultures and how opposing they are. How welcoming different groups are towards each other and comfortable you are made to feel in the environment.

Yeah, in this case, I mean Indians that are British, not international. So cultures the same, I just thought, because you see all those threads about Indians tending to hang out with other Indians, that if it was just one white person, they'd feel a bit uncomfortable or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I want all European. And not more than 2 of the same (foreign) nationality. The more English people, the better.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.