Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennihi)
    Yeah but you do computer science, or something sciency anyway, if I remember right? Don't arts people usually have less contact hours, like I heard this guy who does english say he has only 8 hours a week. And on the geography thread somebody said 1st year geographers don't have any 9 o'clock starts:eek:
    Haha self catered begins to seem better and better all the time.. Hmm and I was so sure I'd go catered as I can't cook, but I guess I would learn soon enough.
    yus geography dont have seem to have early starts

ReputationRep:
    Stereotypes of Bristol Hall --- that me and my friend cooked up XD it is completely stereotypical..remember children, not everyone belong to this stereotype. Please don't shoot me for this, this is a disclaimer based of what i've heard, from various sources (residents, friends of residents, enemies..etc)

University Hall - ghetto...Throws eggs at Wills
    Durdham - meh
    Badock - where the quiet folk live
    Hyatt Baker - Prison block, party ppl (all the troublemakers gets threatened to be sent there)...throws eggs at Wills
    Wills - Posh folk....can expect rare occasion of unprecedented food fight
    Churchill - Lesser posh folk
    Manor - 'down to earth' ppl...who throw eggs at each other...and snowball at Goldney...very welcoming to international students
    Goldney - posh folk who can live without a butler
    CHH - Christian Hill House...with quite a bit of international students and under 18 students as well...and throws snowball at Goldney
    Richmond Terrace - international and posh folk galore
    Unite - can't say much
    Hawthorns - a labyrinth (you spend equal time trying to get out of halls and into the lecture theatre as you do walking from Clifton jk)

That's pretty much it i think...
    Disclaimer: please don't shoot me..tis just for laughs...I heard this again from other ppl. It's not the hall you have to worry about but the people on your corridor i think. *-*

ReputationRep:
    Id roll with that... all apart from durdham meh!!! durdham is cooool

Badock has the best bar, £1 snakebites, £1.50 beers and guitar hero! (and sky sports)

I honestly wouldn't worry about location too much in your first year, Im not, and theres always people to walk in with.

Also, the thought (as I had) that stoke bishop would be more fun and sociable because of all the halls just translates into getting your booked taxis nicked and the occasional cheap bar crawl!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about hijacking this thread, but I have a few questions and the Bristol accomm. website is a little confusing! Basically I am going to go for catered halls, after seven years of school food it can't be any worse, and with a five/six year course I want a break for the first year! Are all the catered halls in SB? I don't have a problem with walking, and I quite like the look of SB, so I'm pretty keen on going there. But, is Wills really as rah as everyone says it is? I have read the rest of this thread and you are all pretty undecided! I am sort of used to that, but I'm not entirely sure I want to be in Wills/Churchill if they are just going to be an extension of school! So does anyone have any reccommendations of nice halls which are sociable obvs, but with decent rooms? Don't really care whether they are ensuite or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    Sorry about hijacking this thread, but I have a few questions and the Bristol accomm. website is a little confusing! Basically I am going to go for catered halls, after seven years of school food it can't be any worse, and with a five/six year course I want a break for the first year! Are all the catered halls in SB? I don't have a problem with walking, and I quite like the look of SB, so I'm pretty keen on going there. But, is Wills really as rah as everyone says it is? I have read the rest of this thread and you are all pretty undecided! I am sort of used to that, but I'm not entirely sure I want to be in Wills/Churchill if they are just going to be an extension of school! So does anyone have any reccommendations of nice halls which are sociable obvs, but with decent rooms? Don't really care whether they are ensuite or not.
    catered halls in stoke bishop:
    hiatt baker
    wills
    badock
    churchhill

ReputationRep:
    Noooooo not UH.

Badock!

Genuinely, Badock IS the most sociable. 2nd largest amount of students (440), best bar, awesome formals, brill freshers week etc etc. AND there's tennis and squash courts!

Durdham is apparently Dullham. Churchill is very cliquey/public schooley. Wills is nice, not very rah this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattbrandon91)
    Unite House is mainly international students, but I'm not sure about en suite etc.
    Unite does have ensuites but these are not as nice as the ensuites elsewhere, e.g. in Durdham.

Because Unite is the only uni accomodation ERASMUS students are allowed to apply for, there are a lot of ERASMUS people.

To be honest, as a first year, I would not even consider Unite. Halls and the other Orbital accommodation (e.g. Hawthorns, Woodland Court) have a better atmosphere. The one advantage Unite has is being close to uni, but the Clifton halls are just as far away.

If you have any questions about Unite please ask, I'd be happy to answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura26)
    Noooooo not UH.

Badock!

Genuinely, Badock IS the most sociable. 2nd largest amount of students (440), best bar, awesome formals, brill freshers week etc etc. AND there's tennis and squash courts!

Durdham is apparently Dullham. Churchill is very cliquey/public schooley. Wills is nice, not very rah this year.
    This person may be biased :p:

BTW Wills has squash courts located just behind it's bike sheds, not sure if these are the ones your on about but they're for use by all members of the Stokey B halls. Same goes for tennis courts. 4 squash courts behind Wills and roughly 8-10 tennis courts so you're rarely ever waiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    This person may be biased :p:

BTW Wills has squash courts located just behind it's bike sheds, not sure if these are the ones your on about but they're for use by all members of the Stokey B halls. Same goes for tennis courts. 4 squash courts behind Wills and roughly 8-10 tennis courts so you're rarely ever waiting.
    Admittedly, yes. :yes: We never wait for tennis courts either...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an opinion on richmond terrace (regrets/joy over choosing it?) Is good for socialbitity? Thx

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    i wanted some information about the accomodation for International Postgraduate students.I searched the website and the options avaliable are :
    1.)Chantry Court
    2.)Deans Court
    3.)Woodland court
    4.)Unite House
    5.)iNTERNATIONAL HOSTELS
    can someone please tell me how these accomodations are...i wanted cheap one arnd 90 pounds wud do ...wanted to know specially about the hostels..are they good?
    I found Chantry court affordable...Deans is costly..
    can someone please help me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pazman4)
    Anyone got an opinion on richmond terrace (regrets/joy over choosing it?) Is good for socialbitity? Thx
    Hey

i'm ion richmond terrace and LOVE it!

it was newly refuribished a few years ago, so everything is in fantastic condition and is just generally lovely. all the rooms are good sizes, and the large and premium are just wow :woo: . there's plenty of storage as well, which is great for me as i have quite a lot ofclothes :rolleyes: . i love having my own bathroom as well :yep: . the kitchens are all in general very good sizes, with good appliances. cleaners clean them about once a week. your rooms and bathrooms you have to clean yourself, but that's fine.

they are organised in flats of 4-7 people. there were some single sex flats, but that was only ebcause a lot of girls applied this year! our senior residents have organised a few events during the year for us, such as a formal, some bar crawls and an event for halloween and freshers. our events during freshers week were great . we're part of orbital and they organised loads of things for us, both during the day and the night. and there have been events during the year. they've also arranged for orbital members to get off money off at certain clubs abd bars, which is rtaher handy!!

i don't regret choosing richmond terrace at all. i've found it socialable and i';ve really enjoyed my time here! i'm going to miss it next year! it's also fab being so close to the uni and clubs and bars . i'd definitely recommend it. though if you want something insanely socialable, a hall like goldney or wills are perhaps better choices.

ReputationRep:
    in terms of actually getting a place in a hall, is it inadvisable to put goldney as your 1st choice and manor as your 2nd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrcarrot)
    in terms of actually getting a place in a hall, is it inadvisable to put goldney as your 1st choice and manor as your 2nd?
    I did this... and got Goldney! I was quite lucky in that respect...

Manor tends to be under subscribed, but only just. It's an obvious choice for people wanting self catered in Clifton. I wouldn't be surprised if it went over subscribed one year. Check the 2010 prospectus when it comes out to give you an idea of how under/over subscribed Manor is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonPi)
    I did this... and got Goldney! I was quite lucky in that respect...

Manor tends to be under subscribed, but only just. It's an obvious choice for people wanting self catered in Clifton. I wouldn't be surprised if it went over subscribed one year. Check the 2010 prospectus when it comes out to give you an idea of how under/over subscribed Manor is.
    That is lucky is it as good as it's made out to be?

haha, good advice! and yeah, self catered in clifton kind of describes what i want.. what happens if both are over subscribed? do i just get stuck in uni hall or is there still a chance of getting in? as i'd quite like clifton..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrcarrot)
    They try and give as many people as possible either their first or second choice, so you'd probably be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missionverdana)
    They try and give as many people as possible either their first or second choice, so you'd probably be fine.
    Not if their second choice has been filled with people who have it down as their first choice.

E.g.

You put down Wills as first choice and Goldney as second. You don't get into Wills, bad luck, and you don't get into Goldney, because it's full due to being oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Not if their second choice has been filled with people who have it down as their first choice.

E.g.

You put down Wills as first choice and Goldney as second. You don't get into Wills, bad luck, and you don't get into Goldney, because it's full due to being oversubscribed.
    True, but I have heard people complain they put Goldney first but others who put it second got it because whatever their first choice was more oversubscribed than Goldney. I don't think they do it by filling up as many first choice places as possible, even for oversubscribed halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missionverdana)
    True, but I have heard people complain they put Goldney first but others who put it second got it because whatever their first choice was more oversubscribed than Goldney. I don't think they do it by filling up as many first choice places as possible, even for oversubscribed halls.
    It changed last cycle so that the Wardens no longer choose who gets into the hall. The Wills Warden explained to me that they take students according to subject proportional to the whole uni intake. So if there are lots of Lawyers in Bristol Uni there'll be a proportionate amount in the Hall. They randomly pick those who have it down as their first choice then move on to second choice if they run out of first choice applicants and still have room. So unless you're doing something really niche you'd be best put to choose a less subscribed hall for your second choice, unless you don't mind where you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    It changed last cycle so that the Wardens no longer choose who gets into the hall. The Wills Warden explained to me that they take students according to subject proportional to the whole uni intake. So if there are lots of Lawyers in Bristol Uni there'll be a proportionate amount in the Hall. They randomly pick those who have it down as their first choice then move on to second choice if they run out of first choice applicants and still have room. So unless you're doing something really niche you'd be best put to choose a less subscribed hall for your second choice, unless you don't mind where you go.
    Ah right, so actually the whole 'rah' image of some halls will probably disappear all together then, if they have to relate the people in each hall proportional to the entire 1st year intake. I am not sure of the exact figures of state/public schooled people Bristol admits, but I thought it was fairly even, so theoretically there should be an even mix of people in each hall/ As well as an even mix of subjects etc etc. Maybe I am completely wrong, I'm not sure! I think I'm going for Wills as first choice anyway, and then deciding on a second choice at some point in the future!

Also, if I put down two catered halls, would they ever give me self-catered??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2016
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.