The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Reputation of halls!!

Scroll to see replies

oaktrees
Ah right, so actually the whole 'rah' image of some halls will probably disappear all together then, if they have to relate the people in each hall proportional to the entire 1st year intake. I am not sure of the exact figures of state/public schooled people Bristol admits, but I thought it was fairly even, so theoretically there should be an even mix of people in each hall/ As well as an even mix of subjects etc etc. Maybe I am completely wrong, I'm not sure! I think I'm going for Wills as first choice anyway, and then deciding on a second choice at some point in the future!

Also, if I put down two catered halls, would they ever give me self-catered??

:no: It's 2/3 private school. That's not to say they'll all be rahs though :dontknow:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 81
xmarilynx
:no: It's 2/3 private school. That's not to say they'll all be rahs though :dontknow:

I'm gonna call bullsh*t on this one. Oxbridge get enough stick for being around 50:50 and there's no way Bristol is worse than them for private school kids.
At least I seriously hope not.
Reply 82
xmarilynx

It's 42% privately educated (at least in 06/07)- not sure why people feel the need to spread fabricated numbers when the true total is this high anyway.
sufcmax
I'm gonna call bullsh*t on this one. Oxbridge get enough stick for being around 50:50 and there's no way Bristol is worse than them for private school kids.

Well the government has warned Bristol a couple of times about taking so many private school kids, so yeah. But y'know, not all of them are that bad - the rahs tend to stick with each other, apart from rahs you won't even be able to tell who is state and who is private.
Reply 84
oaktrees

Also, if I put down two catered halls, would they ever give me self-catered??

I don't think so. If I remember right, the form we filled in last year asked for preference to catered/self-catered and room type. You're more likely to get a different room type than catered as opposed to self catered and vice versa.

Also Wills has pretty much lost it's clichéd rah persona this year. I'm told Churchill is the Hall that Wills was supposed to be in relation to rahs. Saying that though, the people I've met from Churchill aren't blonde airheads.
sufcmax

You're right, my bad - I re-read the source (TimesOnline) and it said one third not two :facepalm:

majikthise
It's 42% privately educated (at least in 06/07)- not sure why people feel the need to spread fabricated numbers when the true total is this high anyway.

It was a genuine mistake, I wasn't trying to spread a fabricated rumour :hmmm: Thanks for putting me straight, anyway :smile:
Reply 86
xmarilynx
You're right, my bad - I re-read the source (TimesOnline) and it said one third not two :facepalm:

It was a genuine mistake, I wasn't trying to spread a fabricated rumour :hmmm: Thanks for putting me straight, anyway :smile:

Yeah don't worry about it. :smile:
Lots of Rah's isn't really my thing. Infact it put me off Oxford, but like you said, they aren't all bad.
I want to go to a nice hall, but with a good mix of people (mainly state school. Ha) Am I right in thinking it's just random the types of people that get allocated to each hall?
sufcmax
Lots of Rah's isn't really my thing. Infact it put me off Oxford, but like you said, they aren't all bad.
I want to go to a nice hall, but with a good mix of people (mainly state school. Ha) Am I right in thinking it's just random the types of people that get allocated to each hall?

UH is a good hall in terms of that, there is no one that is rah at all, and the issue of state/public school never really come up, tbh I don't know what school most of the people I know from halls came from. Everyone at UH is just very down to earth and laid back :smile:
Reply 88
Halls are gradually improving as the quasi-random allocation system for accommodation gets better as well. At least in terms of raw stats (which admittedly can be misleading) the demographic mix is a good deal better in some than it was a few years ago.
Reply 89
andy5788
Halls are gradually improving as the quasi-random allocation system for accommodation gets better as well. At least in terms of raw stats (which admittedly can be misleading) the demographic mix is a good deal better in some than it was a few years ago.

Any idea as to why they go to the effort of doing anything other than purely random allocation?
I don't see any reason why the oft heard argument of "putting people with similar interests together means you get on better" can't equally be countered with "meeting a wider range of people gives you a more diverse and satisfying university experience".
Reply 90
majikthise
Any idea as to why they go to the effort of doing anything other than purely random allocation?
I don't see any reason why the oft heard argument of "putting people with similar interests together means you get on better" can't equally be countered with "meeting a wider range of people gives you a more diverse and satisfying university experience".

Sorry, slight confusion here. There's a difference between who is allocated to which hall, and then within a hall how people are allocated to flats etc.

Hall allocation is done first and is now centrally controlled by accomodation office. They have a very clever computer system which number crunches along about 8-10 different 'demographic' lines to produce a kind of block system for each hall (basically, it comes out with a result like "need 2 international arts students, 3 former private school students in science etc " ) .

It then tries to produce a best match to this ideal, taking into account peoples listed preferences where possible and ensuring no-one ends up in a hall more expensive than either of their listed preferences. The idea being in the end you get an 'as good as you can get' mix across halls. This is necessarily imperfect, however it does seem to have produced a better demographic mix (statistically and based on some anecdotal evidence).

Once people are allocated to halls it is then entirely up to the warden how the allocate them to flats, corridors etc.
Reply 91
andy5788
Sorry, slight confusion here. There's a difference between who is allocated to which hall, and then within a hall how people are allocated to flats etc.

Hall allocation is done first and is now centrally controlled by accomodation office. They have a very clever computer system which number crunches along about 8-10 different 'demographic' lines to produce a kind of block system for each hall (basically, it comes out with a result like "need 2 international arts students, 3 former private school students in science etc").

It then tries to produce a best match to this ideal, taking into account peoples listed preferences where possible and ensuring no-one ends up in a hall more expensive than either of their listed preferences. The idea being in the end you get an 'as good as you can get' mix across halls. This is necessarily imperfect, however it does seem to have produced a better demographic mix (statistically and based on some anecdotal evidence).

Once people are allocated to halls it is then entirely up to the warden how the allocate them to flats, corridors etc.

Cool, I was never quite sure exactly how it worked. That seems fairly sensible.
Reply 92
Yeah, took a big fight to get it implemented though.

Previously the wardens just got a big pile of 'application forms' as it were with personal information, personal statements and in a few years ago now photos! They then basically just stuck them in yes/no piles and the no's were forwarded onto second choices and only centrally allocated after that...
Its about that time of year so im gonna wheel old that old bit of advice:

Go for Hiatt Baker 1st choice Baddock 2nd!!!

(I was in neither of these halls, so im not biased in favour of them)

Failing that avoid self catered unless you MUST cook for yourself.
sufcmax

I've never actually met one, but they don't really sound like people I'd get on with either :dontknow:
I'm not sure, in the accomodation prospectus (last year's) it says that they use the "about me" section to match you with the people sharing your flat/corridoor, but isn't used to decide which residence people are offered. So it sounds like people get randomly allocated to each hall, but you should have stuff in common with the people living nearest to you.
Reply 95
xmarilynx
I've never actually met one, but they don't really sound like people I'd get on with either :dontknow:
I'm not sure, in the accomodation prospectus (last year's) it says that they use the "about me" section to match you with the people sharing your flat/corridoor, but isn't used to decide which residence people are offered. So it sounds like people get randomly allocated to each hall, but you should have stuff in common with the people living nearest to you.

I wrote quite a lot in my "about me" section for Goldney, and after a while of living there, we (me and my flatmates) noticed that we all have surnames starting with M, N and O! Same thing with the flat above. Coincidence??? :woo:
Reply 96
danfl2004
Dont think that would work well. This year if you didn't put Badock as first choice you didnt get in. I heard it was nearly as popular as Wills.

I believe it was more :wink:
I'm putting this down to the credit crunch... or possibly that people realised how good the bar was :p:
Reply 97
Bekaboo
I believe it was more :wink:
I'm putting this down to the credit crunch... or possibly that people realised how good the bar was :p:

I have, on a vaguely related note, come to the conclusion that in one year at Wills I'll wear a gown on more occasions than I have in four years at Balliol...

This doesn't seem to make any sense, but it's true. It might actually be worth my while buying a BA gown...
Reply 98
cpchem
I have, on a vaguely related note, come to the conclusion that in one year at Wills I'll wear a gown on more occasions than I have in four years at Balliol...

This doesn't seem to make any sense, but it's true. It might actually be worth my while buying a BA gown...

They wear gowns?? :eek: That's amazing!!
I struggled to keep a straight face at my first formal here.
"Okay so - I know this is going to sound soooo weird - but we go in and they all STAND UP and then someone says GRACE :eek: :eek: :eek:"
Me: Uh yeah... and then? (Not that I did that every single week after evensong for 3 years... :o: )
Reply 99
Bekaboo
They wear gowns?? :eek: That's amazing!!
I struggled to keep a straight face at my first formal here.
"Okay so - I know this is going to sound soooo weird - but we go in and they all STAND UP and then someone says GRACE :eek: :eek: :eek:"
Me: Uh yeah... and then? (Not that I did that every single week after evensong for 3 years... :o: )

Equally perverse, if I were to get a set in the old quad, I'd be living in a building older than any that I've properly lived in here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending