Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Equally perverse, if I were to get a set in the old quad, I'd be living in a building older than any that I've properly lived in here.
    Oh don't. I still have reservations about staying here for another year knowing full well I could probably have walked into a spot at Wills (minus the part where Charlie would probably call Tom and say if you take one of my tutors I will HURT you... :rolleyes: ) It's so PRETTY

ReputationRep:
    Haha... an empty threat, surely?

Next year is certainly looking up... as far as I can tell, I'll have a less crazy supervisor with more time to actually devote to his students, shorter working hours, and a very pretty new home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Haha... an empty threat, surely?

Next year is certainly looking up... as far as I can tell, I'll have a less crazy supervisor with more time to actually devote to his students, shorter working hours, and a very pretty new home
    An empty threat to hurt Tom? Oh I dunno, they're both massive softies, but Charlie is a bit over-protective of his tutor team. I assume he was joking when he said he'd break my legs if I went to Wills, but I wouldn't put it past him to break Tom's :p: Sounds like Brizzle is gonna be the shizzle for you

ReputationRep:
    After reading this, http://www.bristol.ac.uk/durdham/handbook/

It seemed a really quiet hall, (no noise after 11pm?!?!)

Is Durdham really that boring? I want to be self-catered in Stoke Bishop, so obviously Durdham is the way forward - but I've heard it has a rep. of being a bit boring. Is it like this every year or was it just that year was particular bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Progashman)

I think most halls will say that... It is reasonable because people will be trying to sleep after 11pm. Not that everyone follows that rule of courtesy >_>.

ReputationRep:

Is Durdham really that boring? I want to be self-catered in Stoke Bishop, so obviously Durdham is the way forward - but I've heard it has a rep. of being a bit boring. Is it like this every year or was it just that year was particular bad?
    aye, in UH, you shouldnt hear noise outside of your room after 11pm

ReputationRep:

If it's anything like mine, it's never ever been enforced in the history of the world. The last time I had to break up a slightly mental birthday party, and pointed out to them when they started whining that technically speaking there was meant to be no music full stop after eleven, and that I was being nice in saying they could carry on hanging out in people's rooms if they just kept it down a bit, half of them said I was lying :rolleyes:

Having said that, yes Durdham has a reputation for being a bit dull :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's important to remember that almost the entire student body of a hall changes every year.. so there is no real way to predict the character of a hall next year. The allocation of accommodation has changed recently to become much less selective.

The majority of students end up loving whichever halls they are put into. This is great as it means you can't fall too far wrong but it does mean you can get a very one sided opinion... I've noticed a lot of UH posters on here!

If you're looking for the "party hall" then Badock has the biggest reputation for that. I would say they had by far the best freshers week this year. However, being at Badock doesn't result in a startlingly more wild first year. The bar is good and cheap but there is constant debate over which stoke bishop bar is the best value... they are all dirt cheap when it comes down to it.

I'm at Wills Hall (which isn't actually the most expensive). It has a reputation as a rah hall but the reality is that the whole of bristol uni is posh and the random allocation means no hall is all that much more so than any other. This year the atmosphere is great and down to earth but apparently last year was a lot more snobbish so like I said, you can never tell. Friday formals are riotous and even though I wasn't convinced when I read about them on the prospectus they became a highlight of my week... christmas formal in particular was one to remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWN5f06Emoo

Wills grounds are lovely as well and in this weather you really appreciate that. I certainly would advise that you don't decide against a hall like Wills because of its reputation of being posh because really that's a very small issue! The same applies to any hall with a particular reputation.

For me being catered was great because you're guaranteed to see a real mix of people every day which means you end up with close friends from all different blocks and especially now in exam time meals are a real break to look forwards to. When it comes down to it though, every hall has rahs, geeks, quiet and loud people, and hall life is really what you make of it!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any photos/first-hand information about Clifton Hill House?

ReputationRep:
    I find it ironic that people always talk about Wills being full of rahs all the time. Sure it does, but most places in Bristol Uni do. I guess there IS something to it though, more people apply there from public school backgrounds, the same definitely goes to Churchill- it's full of Wills rejects.

It was funny actually, I went to Hiatt Baker once, where most of my friends happen to be and we were in their bar playing table football and I was introduced to some people I hadn't met before. It was mentioned that I was at Wills and somebody said, something on the lines of 'Oh WILLS eh? Very posh! How's the butler service up there?' Having attended 2 comprehensive schools (very good ones I might add) before university and coming from a relatively modest background, I couldn't help the sardonic smile that crept across my face- looking at the Jack Wills clad moron who had clearly put most of the year's expenditure on Daddy's card. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had started talking to me about his gap yah! Rahs are everywhere, some are nice, some are ********s, the same goes for people of any financial status. (This one happened to be a ******** though)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've met a stereotypical rah yet. Everyone should stop worrying about who will be in their halls and just apply for one that they would like to live at; as people have said, the population of a hall won't be the same as it was this year. If you're concerned about which halls put on the best events, that is up to the JCR committee and I'm sure they all work hard to make sure there are enjoyable nights out that cater to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robertkid)
    I'm probabily alone in that I want a boring hall!

Me too - so there are at least two of us (not enough to fill up an entire hall though )

ReputationRep:

Hell no it's not boring! The bar just got refinished so it looks great, the people are all loads of fun and it's a great mix from all sectors of the cultural and economic worlds, for stoke bishop it's one of the closest to uni, and BELIEVE ME people go out. ooooh do they lol. i know because 1) i sometimes partake and 2) i hear them coming home at 3am. every. freaking. night. which sucks, especially when i have an exam, but i'm only bothered because my room is literally right above the block door, so every time someone comes home, i hear their conversation (whispered or shouted) as if it's happening in my ear, and the block door opening sounds like my room door it's so loud. but like i said, i'm the only one that has that big a problem, 99% of the rooms are fine for noise.

And the no noise after 11--BULLS***. people cause a scene pretty much every night of the week and only like ONCE have i ever seen a tutor "stop" it, and that was just "um, guys, quiet down?" the tutors are way cool though. but yeah. they've got these "rules" but they are literally never enforced--you basically live how you want. if anything, my complaint is that it's TOO loud here most nights.

ReputationRep:
    The thing with it being too loud is going to be a problem in most halls.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed from TSR that Britains are very wary of class. The whole 'Rah' label is ridiculous. In North America people aren't put down or treated like sh-t because of their parents' success.

Anyways i'm applying to Wills :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harris)
    I've noticed from TSR that Britains are very wary of class. The whole 'Rah' label is ridiculous. In North America people aren't put down or treated like sh-t because of their parents' success.

i don't think that the vast majority of people have any problem with the success of people, i certainly do not. it's more to do with the fact that with particular people (regardless of their class), they have a habit of refusing to achknowledge or speak to people who they do not deem 'worthy' of their time. it's mainly fueled by the division of state/grammar/private schools. personally i don't care what school nayone has gone to, and i would never judge someone based on where they were educated, but sadly, some people do here.

and wills is gorgeous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harris)

Google 'Gap Yah'. People who choose to act like that (and yes there are real people like that, and I've never known so many in any other place than in Bristol) are unpleasant to be around, and it's got nothing to do with their parents' success (other than that a certain amount of success is probably a prerequisite to become one). It's like saying having a go at chavs is discriminating against poor people. No it's not. It's discriminating against a small subset of poor people who like to be rude, antisocial and lazy.

ReputationRep:
    wills :puke:

HB 4 LYF

ReputationRep:
    big up the UH ghetto

Honestly I think having £800 or whatever more to spend going out/living is much more worthwhile than a nicee room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grodecki)
    big up the UH ghetto

Honestly I think having £800 or whatever more to spend going out/living is much more worthwhile than a nicee room.
    The rooms in UH are still lovely!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.