The Student Room Group

SOAS CISD vs UCL SPP

I'm currently in my final BSc Economics year and am looking forward to focus on international politics in a public policy context in my postgrad studies... Being in London, there are especially two courses I'm interested in:

MA International Studies and Diplomacy at the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy, SOAS

MSc International Public Policy at the School of Public Policy, UCL

(before this question i raised, I haven't found a course at LSE that would suit me well, except for the MPA -and I'd like to have some work experience before doing an MPA; King's War Studies department might be of interest, too, though)

Is any of you doing a course at the CISD or SPP? What's your opinion about the quality? From an internal or external point of view. I've heard good and bad about both. The reputation of the university itself isn't that important to me.

Thanks.
Reply 1
SPP without a doubt. Although SOAS is good, it does not have the rep of UCL. SPP is a good place, I graduated in MSc IPP there in 09. It has helped my career significantly. Also cheaper than SOAS.
Reply 2
system49
SPP without a doubt. Although SOAS is good, it does not have the rep of UCL. SPP is a good place, I graduated in MSc IPP there in 09. It has helped my career significantly. Also cheaper than SOAS.

Thanks! Would you mind giving me a couple of information about how close the relationship between staff and students was, where the students came from (course and nationality wise) and how intense the course was, overall? I'd appreciate it :smile:
Reply 3
The staff and student relationship was very close and the tutors on the IPP programme are very friendly, relatively young and are excellent engaging teachers, especially David Hudson (course Director). The students came from all over the world. Quite a few from the US, many Europeans, quite a few Africans especially from Nigeria. But really there was people from all corners of the globe. The course is pretty intense but certainly manageable and everyone seemed to help each other during exam time with lots of group studying (our year seemed to get along very well with each other). The research methods module and the compulsory economics course are quite tough if you aren't good with numbers but the skills you gain (especially statistics) are invaluable and make you stand out from the crowd.

Please let me know if you have any other questions
Reply 4
system49
The staff and student relationship was very close and the tutors on the IPP programme are very friendly, relatively young and are excellent engaging teachers, especially David Hudson (course Director). The students came from all over the world. Quite a few from the US, many Europeans, quite a few Africans especially from Nigeria. But really there was people from all corners of the globe. The course is pretty intense but certainly manageable and everyone seemed to help each other during exam time with lots of group studying (our year seemed to get along very well with each other). The research methods module and the compulsory economics course are quite tough if you aren't good with numbers but the skills you gain (especially statistics) are invaluable and make you stand out from the crowd.

While you're here, would you happen to know how far all this is also relevant to the Public Policy (not the international one?)
Reply 5
Thanks again - sounds like you'd have a good time there while actually learning useful things (and getting a degree that should help, too). :smile:
Reply 6
system49

I have a few questions as I'm considering an offer to this program. How are the tutors assigned and are they the ones you work with for your dissertation and optional module selection? Can you also talk a little about the dissertation process? When did you start planning for it and how much support was/is provided in the process? Thanks so much!
Reply 7
System49 is absolutely correct. We should be classmate at UCL; I read for MSc Public Policy. David Hudson supervised my thesis and later recommended it for publication in a London journal. I am a Nigerian....The non-teaching staff at SPP are very friendly and yet professional. The tutors are young and very brilliant: David, Jenifer and Alex stand out. System49 missed out one point; to graduate within the regular academic period at SPP, you must be very diligent, academically brilliant and original. No **** in SPP....

Latest