Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How far is Goodricke from the different departments?

I really don't mind getting up early (6.30) on weekdays and I enjoy a bit of walk because I walk a mile and a half from my village to college in town.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by cagneyrat)

I really don't mind getting up early (6.30) on weekdays and I enjoy a bit of walk because I walk a mile and a half from my village to college in town.
    About half a mile to the near side of campus (Langwith, Derwent), another quarter to reach the far side (James, Physics, Wentworth), I'd say. Next year is when they're due to open the new buildings on Hes East though, so some of the departments will be on the move, assuming it's completed in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historywillabsolveme)
    Hi Archly
    I love cooking too - so I'm wondering what sort of cooking stuff I'll need to brng with me - I mean is there anything in the kitchens or do we have to bring absolutely everything with us?

Also I really want to do the language lessons - how hard are they?

I'm getting quite excited ... but I guess you can tell!
    :woo:
    The kitchens have the basics. Ovens, toasters, kettles, microwaves but that's about it. You have to bring all your own pots and pans, cheese grates and utensils and everything. Depending on who you end up living with you might be able to pool resources but, yeah, you basically have to buy everything.

The language lessons come in a variety of levels. I'm taking Level 3 which is designed as a post-A Level course. It's fairly challenging and we do complex grammar and scary things like that. They are pretty flexible about letting you move between levels if you find your course too hard/easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cagneyrat)

takes me like 15mins to get to Derwent/Langwith and 20-25 to get down to the physics buildings/James college and all that jazz down at the other end of campus its not too far at all, plus it prepares you for second year when you would have to walk that far to uni from your house anyways!

ReputationRep:
    Goodricke is fairly incestuous, you don't tend to meet people from outside the college (apart from some drunken banter and fondling in Gallery perhaps), plus the walk is a bit of a pain. I've really enjoyed it but if I had to chose again I'd go for somewhere on campus.

ReputationRep:
    Halifax isn't as bad as people make out either, you'll end up knowing a LOT of people 'cos a lot of the houses tend to mix and St. Lawrence is generally party central. In my year the social events were awful, but they seemed to have learnt this year (typical...) and they've done massive amouts of things so it seems much better; I'm assuming it'll continue and be just as good for 2010 freshers. It's about a ten minute walk from capmus, but there's a costcutter there and you're about 5 minutes from Heslington with the two pubs (The Derry and The Charles) so it's all good!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sun, 16 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.