Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of the universities I have chosen? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Maths, and these are the uni's I have chosen:

Glasgow - ABB
    Liverpool - ABB
    Queen Mary, London - ABB
    Aberdeen - CCC (If I get BBB I get to skip a year)
    Reading - 320 points.

I was thinking of having Glasgow / Liverpool as my firm and Aberdeen as my insurance, but if I go to Scotland (I live in England) will I be able to get student finance?

A problem I had was that these uni's don't have much of a name for themselves (do they?) and I heard that it isn't what you study, it's where you study that is important.

What are your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    none of those unis are considered as "bad"... and a good maths degree from any of those will stand you in good stead for a good job.

ReputationRep:
    Much bigger question is what do you think of those unis. It's much better to be somewhere you actually want to be.

I'm not entirely sure just how much is in a name anymore. As long as people have heard of it, it tends to be accepted. Depends who you ask though really

ReputationRep:
    All of those unis have good reputations - I really wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

Out of those I'd say go for Glasgow, it has the best reputation out of your choices.

ReputationRep:
    One thing that REALLY annoyed me was I have this one friend who got into uni's like Kings, Southampton and Manchester and he is doing politics. Now I'm not taking anything away from a politics degree, but it isn't has hard or has "recognised" as a Maths degree, yet he SEEMS cleverer because he got into the better uni's.

ReputationRep:
    It won't make a difference in terms of student finance which university you go to (although you'd get a lower loan to cover your tuition fees if you studied in Scotland as Scottish universities charge less).

Edit: And there's nothing wrong with a Politics degree: if he's your friend you should be happy that he got into such good universities rather than being jealous and resorting to subject snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is an amazing place to be, so thumbs up for that choice!

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering why you picked those places in particular.

You could go to Leicester University, ranked 5th in the UK for Mathematics, for lower grades than Glasgow or Liverpool- and about the same grades as Aberdeen. Isn't that a nice shiny building with the famous Engineering building behind it- I think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    I want to study Maths, and these are the uni's I have chosen:

Glasgow - ABB
    Liverpool - ABB
    Queen Mary, London - ABB
    Aberdeen - CCC (If I get BBB I get to skip a year)
    Reading - 320 points.
    All are fine. Glasgow is by far the best, followed by Aberdeen. Based purely on reputation of university, I'd have Glasgow as firm, and Aberdeen as insurance. The grades also match up and make that logical, luckily! That is, if you're neutral about where you'd like to go location-wise.

Why did you choose those universities in particular, OP? Some other higher-ranked universities have lower entrance grades than some of the universities you've picked. Did you just particularly like the feel/geography/social side?

One thing that REALLY annoyed me was I have this one friend who got into uni's like Kings, Southampton and Manchester and he is doing politics. Now I'm not taking anything away from a politics degree, but it isn't has hard or has "recognised" as a Maths degree, yet he SEEMS cleverer because he got into the better uni's.
    Don't be silly, there's a hell of a lot of reputation based on your course. Say someone had a media studies degree from Oxford (for the sake of argument), as opposed to a Mathematics degree from Durham or Glasgow. Would you not place more importance on your actual degree, as opposed to being blind and only looking at the university? A politics degree is well recognised and I respect it highly, but don't compare yourself to others so much. If you're happy with where you've applied and what you've applied for, then just be happy with that and stop the comparisons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)

You could go to Leicester University, ranked 5th in the country for Mathematics, for lower grades than Glasgow or Liverpool- and about the same grades as Aberdeen.

Well I like Maths, but my teacher has predicted me a B in it so I looked for the "best" uni's I could with a B prediction. I found out one mistake I made, and that was for looking for the course code 'G100', when not all the uni's had G100 has the Maths degree I wanted to do (e.g. Brunell had it as G103)

ReputationRep:
    Nice, well done on the choices.
    Id go for glasgow, because it looks amazing and has a fantastic tradition. Adam Smith went there ( The Mac Daddy of economics).

And to the other poster, Politics is a respected degree that requires a high level of intelligence, just as maths does. Politics requires logical and analytical skills, and to some extent, knowledge in areas such as history, economics and geography in order to truely master the discipline. (also, for the top unis who have a long standing tradition, bar oxbridge and LSE, usually have successful graduates with high degree classifications and get good jobs. The institution you go to plays a relatively small part in relation to this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)

You could go to Leicester University, ranked 5th in the UK for Mathematics, for lower grades than Glasgow or Liverpool- and about the same grades as Aberdeen.
    http://www.le.ac.uk/ugprospectus/cou...tics/main.html
    Erm, no... :p:
    From someone who got BBC last year and got told to go swivel by Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    lol, I would sooo do media studies at oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    Why did you choose those universities in particular, OP? Some other higher-ranked universities have lower entrance grades than some of the universities you've picked. Did you just particularly like the feel/geography/social side?
    Like I said really, my teacher predicted me a B in it so I looked for the "best" uni's I could with a B prediction - So it was mainly high-ranked uni based but I found out one mistake I made, and that was for looking for the course code 'G100', when not all the uni's had G100 has the Maths degree I wanted to do (e.g. Brunell had it as G103)

(Original post by punkyrocker)
    Don't be silly, there's a hell of a lot of reputation based on your course. Say someone had a media studies degree from Oxford (for the sake of argument), as opposed to a Mathematics degree from Durham or Glasgow. Would you not place more importance on your actual degree, as opposed to being blind and only looking at the university? A politics degree is well recognised and I respect it highly, but don't compare yourself to others so much. If you're happy with where you've applied and what you've applied for, then just be happy with that and stop the comparisons!
    I understand what you are saying, but surely you would much rather have the Oxford candidate, purely because Oxford has such a good reputation and it is much harder to get into, than say University of Hertfordshire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Whats wrong, wrong ,wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be harsh, but... bitter much?

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you are saying, but surely you would much rather have the Oxford candidate, purely because Oxford has such a good reputation and it is much harder to get into, than say University of Hertfordshire.
    Well, that's an unfair comparison as there's such a discrepancy between the universities. Yes, Oxford is obviously going to have a better reputation than most other universities, but your degree course is also incredibly important. I was comparing your friend's course and chosen unis against your course and chosen unis, and their reputations in each subject, and thinking you're comparing well or at the same level as him. If you were asking whether I'd prefer a Maths degree at a top 15 uni or a lower-respected degree at Oxford, I think I'd probably take the Maths degree (from the perspective of the employer - I would rather do a Politics degree than a straight Maths degree).

ReputationRep:
    Do you get student finance help if you go to Glasgow? Check that!
    Liverpool is an excellent choice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.