Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of the universities I have chosen? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Who cares what we think? As long as you like them it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdHock)
    I don't mean to be harsh, but... bitter much?
    No, but think about it. I work hard in school, I will have 4 A levels at ABBC (hopefully) in English Lit, Maths, Geography and French, plus an A at Further Maths A/S.

He will have TWO A levels, and 2 A/S's, in which the highest grade he will be aiming for is a B, if he is lucky. And he managed to get into better uni's than me.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to anyone on the student room. Sorry, but unless they went to the universities you are asking about, they are clueless lemmings following league table rankings. University reputation amongst employers can be a mixture of age-old reputation, institution type (redbrick, etc) and affiliation (russell group, etc), course reputation and then, if the employer is even aware of it, league table ranking. This is one of the reasons why higher ranked unis often give lower offers.

PS from the people I know at Liverpool who are doing /did maths, they enjoy it but find it very difficult (one failed second year). Take from that what you will.

I looked around Glasgow uni (sister used to live there) and loved the look of the uni area, but not the city overall. Having said that, my offer was significantly lower from there than anywhere else, which made it an attractive insurance.

You won't go wrong with any of the choices. From my personal experience, Liverpool is an excellent uni and an equally good city with loads to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Who cares what we think? As long as you like them it doesn't matter.

I want to know what you think because after I finish my degree, it will depend on what the employer thinks, and so I want to get everyone's opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    Whats wrong, wrong ,wrong?
    What you were saying in the post he quoted... :confused:

--

Anyway, just do what you want where you want, and you'll have no reason to compare if you're secure in your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    Don't listen to anyone on the student room. Sorry, but unless they went to the universities you are asking about, they are clueless lemmings following league table rankings. University reputation amongst employers can be a mixture of age-old reputation, institution type (redbrick, etc) and affiliation (russell group, etc), course reputation and then, if the employer is even aware of it, league table ranking.

PS from the people I know at Liverpool who are doing /did maths, they enjoy it but find it very difficult (one failed second year). Take from that what you will.

I looked around Glasgow uni (sister used to live there) and loved the look of the uni area, but not the city overall.

You won't go wrong with any of the choices. From my personal experience, Liverpool is an excellent uni and an equally good city with loads to do.
    Thanks for that. I just wanted to get a "second" opinion, because I know EXACTLY what my family will say and so it doesn't count (and they did say that - "hmm, why don't you apply to Oxford?" "hmm, Liverpool, it's not as good as Cambridge is it?" "Instead of Maths, why don't you do something like Medicine?" )

ReputationRep:
    No, but think about it. I work hard in school, I will have 4 A levels at ABBC (hopefully) in English Lit, Maths, Geography and French, plus an A at Further Maths A/S.

He will have TWO A levels, and 2 A/S's, in which the highest grade he will be aiming for is a B, if he is lucky. And he managed to get into better uni's than me.
    "better", again. And so what? You should be grateful in such a competitive climate to get into somewhere good for a subject like Maths! Especially so if you end up with less than an A as you predicted.

ReputationRep:
    I want to know what you think because after I finish my degree, it will depend on what the employer thinks, and so I want to get everyone's opinions.
    Oh okay that makes sense then. I thought you're seeking the approval for your choices from other random students.

If you'd like to know your employment prospects, then a maths graduate is obviously a very employable. The great thing is that it's very versatile and you can enter an array of fields.

As for the universities, they're good but not amazing. Depends what type of career you're aiming for, if it's in top global corporations (investment banks, law firms, FTSE 100 companies) then it may be an uphill struggle because they do generally target the 'top tier' universities. As long as you do well in your degree I'm sure with a solid maths degree you'll have no problem establishing a good career. :yy:

ReputationRep:

To be fair that is kind of weird. Still, good for him. Sorry if I was overly harsh in my last post.

And Glasgow's a class uni, probably as good as any of the ones he's going to, so I wouldn't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Maths, and these are the uni's I have chosen:

Glasgow - ABB
    Liverpool - ABB
    Queen Mary, London - ABB
    Aberdeen - CCC (If I get BBB I get to skip a year)
    Reading - 320 points.

I was thinking of having Glasgow / Liverpool as my firm and Aberdeen as my insurance, but if I go to Scotland (I live in England) will I be able to get student finance?

A problem I had was that these uni's don't have much of a name for themselves (do they?) and I heard that it isn't what you study, it's where you study that is important.

What are your opinions?
    I have to say I think your downgrading your universities when you say they 'don't have much of a name for themselves'. Liverpool is a well known university as well as Reading! They both have a good reputation, but obviously no comparison to Loughborough, Bath etc...

I think both factors are equally as important, personally looking at the universities you have applied to reputation won't be a problem apart from aberdeen no offense.
    So i'd say go for your course!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that. I just wanted to get a "second" opinion, because I know EXACTLY what my family will say and so it doesn't count (and they did say that - "hmm, why don't you apply to Oxford?" "hmm, Liverpool, it's not as good as Cambridge is it?" "Instead of Maths, why don't you do something like Medicine?" )
    Well, your family always try and push you and it's a good thing. I applied to Cambridge for History (after being pushed by various people), got rejected, paid attention to why I was rejected and realised I didn't want to do History after all. Point: DO the course you want, at a place you have visited and love, and for the right reasons - not because you're being pushed. If you get a good degree classification from any of those unis, you have done well. Degree class is very important.

The reputation of Medicine / Sciences at Liverpool is plenty enough to warrant going there for Maths. As is the reputation of Glasgow / any of your choices.

The Russell Group is a good indicator of reputation for research and sciences. RAE results are okay indicators, but they have a seriously screwed up review system and are plagued by controversy, for example by placing multiple members of a particular uni on the board for one subject review team.........

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/our-universities/

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Maths, and these are the uni's I have chosen:

Glasgow - ABB
    Liverpool - ABB
    Queen Mary, London - ABB
    Aberdeen - CCC (If I get BBB I get to skip a year)
    Reading - 320 points.

I was thinking of having Glasgow / Liverpool as my firm and Aberdeen as my insurance, but if I go to Scotland (I live in England) will I be able to get student finance?

A problem I had was that these uni's don't have much of a name for themselves (do they?) and I heard that it isn't what you study, it's where you study that is important.

What are your opinions?
    Apart from Reading all considered pretty good unis, Id say glasgow or aberdeen as top choice if u want the uni kudos. and yes u can get student finance.

ReputationRep:
    One thing that REALLY annoyed me was I have this one friend who got into uni's like Kings, Southampton and Manchester and he is doing politics. Now I'm not taking anything away from a politics degree, but it isn't has hard or has "recognised" as a Maths degree, yet he SEEMS cleverer because he got into the better uni's.
    No offence but this makes you sound like a prick. And you're also wrong...

ReputationRep:
    All this snobbery about university p***es me off. We had a lecturer from a qualified solicitor who was sat on some sort of board who interviewed applicants to get a job at the Crown Prosecution Service. He told us that one year he had an applicant who had achieved a first from oxford and all she went on about in the interview was about how she went to 'Oxford' and got a first class degree. He said that he also had an applicant who got a 3rd from a less prestigious university who talked about how she had acquired all these skills from various life experiences and he gave her the job. Dont worry about the reputation. They are all good unis actually the ones that u have chosen. I would say that say that Glasgow, Aberdeen and Lierpool have the best reputation and in that order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farrboy)
    All this snobbery about university p***es me off. We had a lecturer from a qualified solicitor who was sat on some sort of board who interviewed applicants to get a job at the Crown Prosecution Service. He told us that one year he had an applicant who had achieved a first from oxford and all she went on about in the interview was about how she went to 'Oxford' and got a first class degree. He said that he also had an applicant who got a 3rd from a less prestigious university who talked about how she had acquired all these skills from various life experiences and he gave her the job. Dont worry about the reputation. They are all good unis actually the ones that u have chosen. I would say that say that Glasgow, Aberdeen and Lierpool have the best reputation and in that order.
    But surely a big reason for that was because the Oxford graduate was a complete ****?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyh10)
    But surely a big reason for that was because the Oxford graduate was a complete ****?
    Yeah, a reputation obsessed prat. It's a good and important lesson for anyone to learn, you can't rely on a perceived reputation. You have to have real achivements, experience (work and life) and drive. Hence why a few of my oxbridge friends get turned down for quite a few jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdHock)
    All of those unis have good reputations - I really wouldn't worry about it to be honest.
    If you don't mind me asking...what happened to you in yr 13 regarding your grades?
    you had offers from oxford AND lse! thats so awesome!

ReputationRep:
    OP Politics degrees aren't as easy as you think. Whilst i can't compare to a maths degree (as i'm not doing one) but politics can be very difficult. Maths degrees are no better than politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    Yeah, a reputation obsessed prat. It's a good and important lesson for anyone to learn, you can't rely on a perceived reputation. You have to have real achivements, experience (work and life) and drive. Hence why a few of my oxbridge friends get turned down for quite a few jobs.
    Indeed. Just because someone has got in to Oxbridge does not mean that they have 'made it' it life. There is still a very very long way to go...

ReputationRep:
    Out of what you've chosen, go to Glasgow. It doesn't have a 'bad' reputation at all, it may only seem like that because there are so many universities in England and much less in Scotland, so it may be ranked lower in the league timetables but if you look at the Scottish league timetable then its true that Glasgow excels in its teaching and location above many English univesities (not offending English universities). And yes you can get student finance, but ain't going to be free...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.