Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just curious as to which modules everyone that's sitting STEP this year was taking. Are you going for Stats/Mechnics/Pure?

I'm sitting STEP II and III this year, and the modules I have sat/am sitting are:

Core 1-4
    FP 1-3
    Mech 1-2
    D1
    Stats 1
    Numerical Methods

I'm also teaching myself Mech 3 and (If I have time) 4, and Differential equations, but not sure if i'll enter myself for the exams yet.

What's everyone else doing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting II and III and I have studied:
    C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP3, S1, S2, S3, M1.
    I will be studying:
    FP2, M2, M3.

This is all of the modules available on WJEC. I will probably look at some of the advanced mechanics that appears in STEP but not on the WJEC A level syllabus, such as moments of inertia.

I'll likely stick to pure questions though. I'm quite fine with quite alot of the tehcniques of differentiation and integration that come up in STEP, as well as curve sketching (although I don't like it :p:). Summations and proof are also things that I am okay with.

I'm eager to try some mechanics questions, because I've only recently done enough to attempt them on paper II. If I find them 'nice', I will go ahead and learn the mechanics for STEP III. Otherwise, I'll just stick to my M3 and let it be until university. :p:

Regarding statistics, I find the STEP questions really easy. I find probability quite straight forward. Unfortunately, some of the questions involve drawing tree diagrams and stuff, which I hate doing.
    I do like when there are applications of pure though. I enjoy finding the right distribution, and manipulating the probability density functions! I think if I'm stuck for getting a 5th or 6th question in either paper II or III, I will be able to do at least one of the statistics questions on offer.

This is after doing quite a few papers mind you!

By the way, I would only teach yourself those modules if you enjoy them, or are looking for an AS in further maths (additional). I don't think STEP requires any more on differential equations than what is already in the FP modules, and it's probably better to pick out topics from M3+ if you're thinking about tackling mechanics questions.

ReputationRep:
    Well, now that I've lost Cambridge :mad: , Im not sure which STEPs I should do. Warwick want a Grade 2 in a STEP but didn't specify. I might do II and III just to be hardcore.

Anyways, I've done and am doing:

M1-M4
    Fp1-Fp3
    S1
    C1-C4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I'm sitting II and III and I have studied:
    C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP3, S1, S2, S3, M1.
    I will be studying:
    FP2, M2, M3.

This is all of the modules available on WJEC. I will probably look at some of the advanced mechanics that appears in STEP but not on the WJEC A level syllabus, such as moments of inertia.

I'll likely stick to pure questions though. I'm quite fine with quite alot of the tehcniques of differentiation and integration that come up in STEP, as well as curve sketching (although I don't like it :p:). Summations and proof are also things that I am okay with.

I'm eager to try some mechanics questions, because I've only recently done enough to attempt them on paper II. If I find them 'nice', I will go ahead and learn the mechanics for STEP III. Otherwise, I'll just stick to my M3 and let it be until university. :p:

Regarding statistics, I find the STEP questions really easy. I find probability quite straight forward. Unfortunately, some of the questions involve drawing tree diagrams and stuff, which I hate doing.
    I do like when there are applications of pure though. I enjoy finding the right distribution, and manipulating the probability density functions! I think if I'm stuck for getting a 5th or 6th question in either paper II or III, I will be able to do at least one of the statistics questions on offer.

This is after doing quite a few papers mind you!

By the way, I would only teach yourself those modules if you enjoy them, or are looking for an AS in further maths (additional). I don't think STEP requires any more on differential equations than what is already in the FP modules, and it's probably better to pick out topics from M3+ if you're thinking about tackling mechanics questions.
    I was doing the extra modules more just for something extra to do, and they would open up the mechanics questions if i get stuck in pure. Differential equations looks very interesting, my FM teacher recommended doing it.

Also, how come you've done FP3 first? I know FP3 doesn't really rely on much from FP2, but seems a bit odd.

2710:
    II&III, be hardcore.

ReputationRep:
    Im sitting STEP I /II this year, and the modules I have sat/am sitting are:

C1-C4
    S1,D1
    FP1-FP3
    M1-M3

ReputationRep:
    Sitting STEP II and III this year, taking FP1-3, M3-5, S2, D1. Perhaps worth mentioning, I sat STEP I last year, having taking C1-4, M1-2 and S1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scallym)

Also, how come you've done FP3 first? I know FP3 doesn't really rely on much from FP2, but seems a bit odd.
    I taught myself FP3 while I was doing C3 in lessons last year. :p:
    It's why I did so 'badly' (77) when I sat it in the summer. I was too busy doing more interesting stuff!

For WJEC it's just hyperbolics (identities, substitutions for integration), newton-raphson method, polar co-ordinates, and Taylor and Maclaurin series.
    It requires knowledge from C4, FP1 and FP2, so I'll just fill in the blanks as I come to them. I haven't looked at integration that require trigonometric and hyperbolic substitutions, for example, but I know the theory.

I need to get out more. FML.

I learnt up to M5, S2 and D1 for STEP. The most helpful single optional module for STEP is M3.

ReputationRep:
    STEP II & III.

Will have learnt C1-4, FP1-3, M1-5 S1

(Might not sit M5 but I should have learnt it)

ReputationRep:
    When I did STEP I sat C1-4, FP1-3, S1-4, M1-3,DE &NM and D1-D2
    I used S1-S3, they were very useful, I didn't use FP3 since group theory/markov chains e.t.c have been taken off the spec. D1 and D2 were utterly useless. I used M1 in STEP 1 but didn't in STEP 2... S4 only comes up if you do step III and I would've used it had I've sat that. M3 might have been useful had I not been rubbish at mechanics. DE is useful for STEP III - not all of it, but the stuff on integrating factors is very helpful. NM is completely useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    Well, now that I've lost Cambridge :mad: , Im not sure which STEPs I should do. Warwick want a Grade 2 in a STEP but didn't specify. I might do II and III just to be hardcore.

Anyways, I've done and am doing:

M1-M4
    Fp1-Fp3
    S1
    C1-C4
    Warwick ask for a 2 in any STEP paper - so you may as well sit STEP I. A merit in AEA will also do, so you could take that as well. STEP II is harder than STEP I, but its grade boundaries are higher; I think this is because the Cantabs are taking II/III and therefore the average candidate ability is higher. It's rare for a student to take I and II and get a better grade in II than I.

ReputationRep:
    Doing I, II.

Modules: C1-4, D1 (forgotten it all now haha, useless anyway though), S1-2, M1-2, FP1-2, DE.

ReputationRep:
    Doing I,II (plus AEA, if that matters?)

Done C1-4, FP1-2, D1, M1-2, S1, NM
    Doing S2, and if I feel like I can handle an extra Additional Further Maths AS, then also FP3, DE, M3

ReputationRep:
    Doing STEP I, II
    Modules I've done or taking are C1-C4, M1-M3, FP1-FP3, D1, S1 and S2.

ReputationRep:
    doing STEP I and II

altogether will have done C1-4, S1-2, M1-3, FP1-4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    Obviously, if you're very confident about getting a grade 2 in one of those, that's fine.

But I'd say it's much easier to get a grade 2 in STEP I. It's not unusual to get the odd question that is *much* easier if you use FM knowledge, which means you've got a headstart already.

ReputationRep:
    bit of advice about teaching yourself extra modules just for STEP (coming from someone who's been through it all):

Pure modules are probably worth it if you are doing STEP III, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

For starters, you probably won't answer a question probably unless you have a decent understanding of that subject.

I at least, found that the mech questions were much harder to judge difficulty until you've commited 15 mins to trying it. however, sometimes you end up with easy questions, so it can pay off.

o yeah, general tip that virtually no-one realises, (and its very awesome).

always check to see if there's a stats question on probability density. those questions are the easiest things ever, and require no stats modules to answer. just simple integration usually. and no-one realises it because its in the stats section and thinks it'll be hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    always check to see if there's a stats question on probability density. those questions are the easiest things ever, and require no stats modules to answer. just simple integration usually. and no-one realises it because its in the stats section and thinks it'll be hard.
    Funnily enough, I decided to have a go at the stats questions on STEP II 1999 just now, and the probability density function question took me about 10 minutes total (most of the time spent forgetting that the derivative of the cumulative density function is the probability density function). :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm taking STEP II and III.

Did anyone else get an email from Warwrick giving you a personalised username for STEP and AEA resources from the MEI website/further mathematics network?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    Yeah, I'm taking STEP II and III.

Did anyone else get an email from Warwrick giving you a personalised username for STEP and AEA resources from the MEI website/further mathematics network?
    Yeah, the resources on there are pretty OK tbh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.