Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever wanted to change your name? If so, why? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Double barrel it to: Hall-Oates and change your middle name to 'out of touch'
    Hahaa!

How have I never thought of that before? :rolleyes: :cool:

(Original post by Sequin)
    Hahaa!

How have I never thought of that before? :rolleyes: :cool:

Maybe it's because you were out of time?

Couldn't resist.

(l).

ReputationRep:
    nooo, ashley sounds sexy :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotheregostar)
    Really? How easy is it? I've been considering changing mine for a long time ( nothing drastic)
    The actual name change only requires a page or so of paperwork, search "deed poll" to find the website. The whole thing then goes through the postal system in a few weeks, and presto! Name changed. After that, you just need to make any changes next time you use your passport, etc. so that they are all under your new name.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to have it changed to Ben Dover, and once I get knighted, well you know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Id like to change my surname. Its double barreled which makes it unique... there is only one "my name" in the country, which makes it really hard for me to maintain any sort of anonymity. Id also like to change my first name to something androgynous...

Sam Smith would be perfect.
    I hear you about androgynous. It appeals to me for some reason. Perhaps it's so people don't immediately know I'm a female. Not that I don't want to be female - I do - it's just that I don't want to be defined by it. I like the thought of people seeing my CV or whatever and not thinking certain things about me just because I'm female. Although perhaps you have to put your gender on there, so maybe I'm talking rubbish actually.

I also have a rare last name but I like it

I think you should be glad you have a totally unique name, sort of makes you special?

ReputationRep:
    My name is pretty and all but I feel like it is a bloody mouthful, reason why everyone I know apart from my parents call me by my nickname and some people I've only met recently know me by my nickname and are unaware of my real name :rolleyes:. When I was much younger I wanted to change my name to Kirsty and kept writing it on the walls of my house (I was 4 or something lol).

If I could I'd like to be called by middle name OR to have my name said in a spanish accent

ReputationRep:
    I would change my name to Marcus Hannibal. Just felt it's such a cool name!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    God no, I absolutely love my name! All said together, has a lovely ring to it.

Only thing I'd change is people's ability to spell my last name... It's a pretty unusual one, although apparently dime-a-dozen when you go to Latvia. I think my full name is probably unique, at least in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Yes:P I usually get that or a reference to trafalgar square XD

But yeah Usually i'm John from either Vegas or Texas (Austin if anyone asks)

Sometimes I'm an air force cadet, other times I'm just plain johnny havin some fun:p:

Like I said, I like a certain level of anonymity for reasons best known to myself and a few close mates.

(The cadet thing comes from the fact that I think I would have enjoyed attending West Point :teehee:)
    Awh
    I'm inspired :teehee: i might actually do that as well sometimes :p:

(Original post by HDS)
    Oh, I forgot to mention, my close friends call me 'Hor'

pronounced

Whore.:rolleyes:
    :rofl: sorry couldn't help it :laugh: they should at least put 'man' before that when you're out :teehee: not being mean :teehee:

:ta: for the rep. It shall be returned :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would change my last name to somethign beginning with an I so my initials wouldn't spell EMO but would spell my nickname

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3zdkmw2E4

:yes: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Not really, although it's unbelievably common (it doesn't even have a meaning!). Everybody in the world can pronounce it, so that's a plus.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought it would be nice to change my surname to my mother's maiden name, it's far shorter and less easy for people to write down wrong () and it is also in the middle of the alphabet, not at the end. I hate always being the last to do anything.

It would also, coincidentally, give me the same name as a famous singer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna swap them round soon now that I'm 18. Why on earth my parents decided that it'd be a good idea to give me three names (apart from surname) put them in a specific order and then call me by the middle one baffles me, especially as the first one isn't even that odd! It's caused me nothing but trouble anyway, so that's why I'm doing it- but I won't actually be changing the names.

ReputationRep:
    I do like it and wouldn't want to change it, but I've often wished I had a more common name so people wouldn't be able to identify me too readily... not because I'm excessively secretive, just for example when I'm using forums and the like. But I only use TSR, so meh.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Sometimes. Because sometimes I think my parents must have been smoking pot when they named me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of adding my mums maiden name onto mine, fox-clarke.

ReputationRep:
    nope cuz i love it

ReputationRep:
    I did when I was going through a phase of wanting to be ~different~, but I'm glad I didn't. Firstly I couldn't decide on a new name I really, really liked, and secondly, even though Becky is a stupidly common name I've had it for 22 years now and indentify with it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.