Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever wanted to change your name? If so, why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like my name. I think it's old fashioned and ugly, it's also obviously biblical and screams Irish Catholic. Urgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    Well I have wanted to change the spelling from Lalita to Lolita, which is how my name is supposed to be, yeah.
    But not change it completely, I can't imagine being called anything else!
    same! from Corrinne to Corinne (which is how it should be spelt)......curse my parents!

ReputationRep:
    I like my own name now, but when I was younger I hated it and wanted to change it.

ReputationRep:
    i got as far as receiving the deed poll in the post..filled it in but never sent it..i just hate my name..

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't change mine - I have 5 names and love the way my name sounds as a whole. I love the individuality of it, knowing that anyone in the world with the same surname as me is one of my close relatives is brilliant.

However, it is a bit of a mouthful and so I am having to think of a way to make it work for publishing my first book. Some of the suggestions have been hysterical.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

I'm legally changing my name to Sex Mckinley. It has a certain ring to it.

Suprisingly enough, there is a man that lives down the road from me named Horse McGeough. I don't know if he has ever considered changing his name.

ReputationRep:
    I had to change mine by deed poll just to match the one on my chilien birth certificate after my immigration papers shortened my surname. It was the easiest way to do it. Thinking of changing my middle name too.

ReputationRep:
    I like my first and middle name but despise my surname, it's embarrassing and I hate always spelling it out to people. Things would be so much better for me if my name was different and I would change it but my dad has issues :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    What's your name? :hmmm:
    Lackner it's german/austrian, and it seems impossible to pronounce it in english? Why the :hmmm: smiley?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murray29)
    Lackner it's german/austrian, and it seems impossible to pronounce it in english? Why the :hmmm: smiley?
    Idk xD Your post was a little bit weird :giggle:

Nooo, I think it's pretty easy to pronounce

ReputationRep:
    Princess Consuela Bananahammock!!

ReputationRep:
    I changed my surname by deed poll after my mum got remarried but that was only cause i like to feel included : ) in the end its only a name and you could call yourself anything... just introduce yourself as mambo poppadopolis or whatever floats your boat... might get a bit confusling though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because I dont like 'Carly'.

No cos a lot of ppl I meet say that the ppl they meet with the same name are usually idiots so i kind of stand out as being the good guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    No cos a lot of ppl I meet say that the ppl they meet with the same name are usually idiots so i kind of stand out as being the good guy
    Is your name Darren or something? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahnaf.c)
    My last name is so common in my subcontinent. As a matter of fact, because of this very reason my previous last name was Amer.But then when I went to Australia it created so much confusion because my last name was not same as my dad's, he ended up making it the same as his. Now a few million people share my last name.

I know you people are talking about firstnames but I feel the surname is more important since when im all grown up people will refer to me as Mr. [Surname]
    I despise my last name. I want nothing to do with the people who share the same last name as me. Is it possible to have just one name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Gris)
    I despise my last name. I want nothing to do with the people who share the same last name as me. Is it possible to have just one name?
    I'm not sure about the UK's laws. In Australia, back in 2006 it was possible to have just one name (don't know if there's been an amendment recently) and it was also possible for people to change their names once every year

ReputationRep:
    As soon as I'm back living in the UK, I will be changing it.

I love my first name (Josephine), but my second middle name is Gertrude, after my dad's grandmother. I hate it. When I (hopefully) get married in the future, I do not want my future husband up there saying 'Josephine Ivy Gertrude', and hearing his family snigger.

Thus as soon as I'm back, I shall be changing it to drop the Gertrude, and replacing it with another name. Haven't decided what to replace it with yet, but it will be a family name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    As soon as I'm back living in the UK, I will be changing it.

I love my first name (Josephine), but my second middle name is Gertrude, after my dad's grandmother. I hate it. When I (hopefully) get married in the future, I do not want my future husband up there saying 'Josephine Ivy Gertrude', and hearing his family snigger.

Thus as soon as I'm back, I shall be changing it to drop the Gertrude, and replacing it with another name. Haven't decided what to replace it with yet, but it will be a family name.
    Ahh at least Gertrude isn't your first name! My aunt is called Gertrude, but she's always called Trudy, which is much nicer. For some reason the name Gertrude reminds me of a goat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redpanda91)
    Ahh at least Gertrude isn't your first name! My aunt is called Gertrude, but she's always called Trudy, which is much nicer. For some reason the name Gertrude reminds me of a goat
    That is very true. I still can't wait to get shot of it though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.