Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MSc Development Economics Manchester anyone? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose anyone has done or is doing Development Economics at Manchester or any other Uni for that matter.

*I'd just like some info on career prospects, what people have gone on to do afterwards etc.,
    *Also how many days you're in each week?
    *How good is Manchester in this field compared to others in the country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevnea)
    I don't suppose anyone has done or is doing Development Economics at Manchester or any other Uni for that matter.

*I'd just like some info on career prospects, what people have gone on to do afterwards etc.,
    *Also how many days you're in each week?
    *How good is Manchester in this field compared to others in the country?
    You might want to post in the postgraduate forum: there are a number of threads about msc economics there already. This include a sticky on msc economics.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Man!, I´ve been accepted dor the MSc Development Economics and Policy at UManchester!, just wanted to tell you that taking into account the amount of people applying for that specific programme (280 in 2008) (only 30 accepted) I suppose it must be a very good one, another thing is that worldwide Manchester is one of the best known universities, in comparison to Nottingham, Sussex, Bath for example (I got offers for those ones too), so Manchester is a good and widely known reference when building up your CV, specially if you´re planning to work in a NGO, Intl Dev Org or for a Government of a Developing country. Another factor is that this programme relies on a the IDPM which seems to be very strong department in the development field, and the programme name which allows you to work not only as a development economist but also as a policy maker, at the end of the day, having the title is just the first step the second one is to get into an NGO to gain work experience and to build your CV and make connections that will help you during your career dont you think?. I can say these were the reasons why I decided to take this offer. I found it hard to find further reference but if you get to know more please let me know.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.