The Student Room Group

Contract Law

Hi, I'm in my 1st year at uni and i'm studying contract law. I know poeple say that the 1st year doesn't count but it does for law students if they want to become solicitors or barristers. Although i'm not sure whether i want to take that route, i want to have the option and therefore i could do with getting at least a 2:1 in this module.

What i want to know is whether it will inhibit my chances of getting onto a training contract and then to become a solicitor if i don't achieve a 2:1 or even a 2:2 thanks.
(Unsurprisingly) the general rule is that the better your grades the better. I think you'd struggle to get a TC without a 2:1 overall. I don't think it matters too much if you get a 2:2 in a few individual modules as long as you get a 2:1 overall. Firms are going to look at your application as a whole - if you get a 2:1 overall, have a good range of ECs and interview well they aren't going to reject you on the basis of a single module mark.

If you don't get a 2:1 in your first year, its a disadvantage but I don't think it rules you out, particularly if you only missed out on the 2:1 by a fairly small margin. If that happens, you should work really hard in subsequent years and try to build up your CV through doing a variaty of extra-curriculars. People tend to get lower marks in their first year than they do in subsequent years - law is definitely a subject which takes a bit of time to get ued to studying.

If you are worried about Contract, try "Casebook on Contract" by Burrows. I really rate it.
Reply 2
With regard to your overall degree award, 1st year doesn't matter. (In my uni, the 1st 2 years didn't count - only had to worry about 3rd and 4th in that sense!) Obviously, the better you do in the core modules, the better your chances will be. However, I wouldn't worry too much about it as you will have to do an LPC etc. before you actually start the training contract. One of the first things we were told when we started in law school is that by the time we graduate, nearly everything we learn will be of no use to us! The law changes so much in a short space of time. Also, when you start the training contract, there is a lot of legal theory etc. that you will know but will never use. The most important thing is to do your best and aim for at least a 2.1 overall when you graduate. Another book that may help is Nutshells, or if you struggle more with the cases than the principles, Nutcases - I swore by them in uni! Best of luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending