Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to try weed. I know the possible consequences and I don't have an addictive personality. I'm not looking for a debate on why drugs are bad, I just want to experience it once to say that I've tried it (like I did with cigarettes, once).

My girlfriend will not let me because she "doesn't like the idea of it". She has done it more than once in her past, before I met her.

Is my girlfriend being unfair and quite hypocritical, or does the argument lie in her favour do you think?

Advice appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what type of relationship you want to have with her.

If my GF tried to stop me doing something I really wanted to do, id tell her to Foxtrot Oscar.

But then again you may enjoy being pussy whipped in your relationship.

Up to you, dude.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm well its up 2 you really shes obvi speaking from experience but if you wanna try it then do if i was in the situation i would be on your girl friends side
    is it worth jeopardising your relationship over a bit of weed?
    but at least its nothing more extreme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaniLou17)
    is it worth jeopardising your relationship over a bit of weed?
    Is it worth being with a girl who freaks out over a bit of weed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Is it worth being with a girl who freaks out over a bit of weed?

true say she obv just cares about him just is it worth all the hassle

ReputationRep:
    you are being unreasonable, doing something you know your girl doesnt like

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on.. He is not being unreasonable. If you want to go for it, then I think you should. If you wanted to try to kill yourself, it would be different.
    I don't understand this.. when my exes wanted to do something I didn't like, I had to suck it up, just like they had to when I wanted something they didnt want me to. It's called compromise people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramanda)
    Oh come on.. He is not being unreasonable. If you want to go for it, then I think you should. If you wanted to try to kill yourself, it would be different.
    I don't understand this.. when my exes wanted to do something I didn't like, I had to suck it up, just like they had to when I wanted something they didnt want me to. It's called compromise people!

IMO he is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I want to try weed. I know the possible consequences and I don't have an addictive personality. I'm not looking for a debate on why drugs are bad, I just want to experience it once to say that I've tried it (like I did with cigarettes, once).

My girlfriend will not let me because she "doesn't like the idea of it". She has done it more than once in her past, before I met her.

Is my girlfriend being unfair and quite hypocritical, or does the argument lie in her favour do you think?

Advice appreciated.
    She is right

ReputationRep:
    i hate smoking but i tried it when i was younger and experienced it myself and came to the conclusion i hated it.
    when my boyfriend went to uni he said he wanted to try it, he knows how much i hate it but i didnt try to stop him.
    hes a big boy he can make his own decisions/mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Your gf is being quite unreasonable and hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    Does your girlfriend have any personal bad experiences with drugs that could cause her to object so strongly? If so, then her response would be completely understandable. If not, I sort of see her point - it's not the best thing to do - but if I was her I would just figure you're an adult and (hopefully) able to make your own, measured decision.

If she really, really can't come to terms with that though, do you actually want to do it that much that it's worth arguing with her about?

ReputationRep:
    do what you like just be prepared for silent treatment if shes that type

ReputationRep:
    She's being unreasonable.

ReputationRep:
    me and my bf had the same problem, only the 'one time' became kinda frequent, its not anymore but i feel like itll always come between us cos he got into legal stuff lol which i know i should probs be ok with but... well if she's dead against it, i can say from experience it wont go away, and i dont think its worth it

ReputationRep:
    She has the experience with it. Perhaps it's just her way of saying 'It's not worth it'. Not sure entirely but I don't think anyone should simply say 'You're not doing it'.

At the end of the day mate, you could do it and not tell her or, there could be a reason she doesn't want you to do it as she may have had a bad experience with it.

Not worth the hassle anyway. Never tried it myself but it's a bit of a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Advice appreciated.
    Just get straight on the crack... much better!!

On a serious note, just do it- jeez, she doesn't own you. If it was applying for a job that she 'doesn't like the idea of'- you'd do it, so crack on..(no pun intended)

In a lighter side, my mate's gf used to get funny about him doing ecstacy... so he would turn around and say don't worry, I only do pills.. and she accepted it as different! So, you could just say it's dried banana skin or something!

ReputationRep:
    I think she has a point, she's tried it and knows its not worth it. I had the same thing with my bf, i wanted to try it and he said don't because he knows what its like and its really nothing special.

tbh you only want to do it to say you have and it wont be worth doing, so yeh i'd just listen to your gf, she only cares about you/

ReputationRep:
    Shes being unreasonable. Youre grown up enough to decide what you want. But at the same time you need to ask her why she objecys to it and see if he has a proper reason

ReputationRep:
    Hypocritical and unreasonable. Her concerns are understandable, but not excusable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.