Turn on thread page Beta

Depressed about my A level grade.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am in year 13 at 6th form now, I had to do yr 12 twice because I wanted to totally change some subjects I was doing.. I was happy that whilst re-doing my year 12 though, the timetable allowed me to continue to A2 with the Biology A level I had started and had wanted to carry on. So last year, I was doing 3 AS's and my A2 Biology..

When I got my results though, I hadn't done that well and I only got an overall D in my Biology A level...Its too late to retake as it was the old spec

Ive been left with the feeling that a D at A level can't really mean you have an A level as it's a pretty sh*t grade.. It is only just a pass so I cannot really claim that I am that educated in this subject can I? This was my fav subject once too!

I aim to finish this yr and go on to uni..but will I really be able to tell ppl I have an A level in Biology when all I got in it was a lousy D?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappySadHappy)

Ive been left with the feeling that a D at A level can't really mean you have an A level as it's a pretty sh*t grade.. It is only just a pass so I cannot really claim that I am that educated in this subject can I? This was my fav subject once too!

I aim to finish this yr and go on to uni..but will I really be able to tell ppl I have an A level in Biology when all I got in it was a lousy D?
    Yes. I remember when I was doing A-Levels I used to think the same, but what we all got told was that any grade unless its a U is a pass at that stage. It's just that you get it into your head that you need C and above to look good. I wouldn't be too disheartened cos I don't always think that grades prove what you know.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks..n yeah..a C would have been much better
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You'll get over it soon enough. Get a good degree and be proud of that, no one will really care about what grade you got in A level biology after that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah don't worry you'll soon get over it and in a couple of years time your degree will be worth more and would be more of significance than your A level biology grade don't worry maan
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Unless you wanted to do biology at degree level it shouldn't really matter that much, so long as you do well enough in your other three to get onto the uni course you want you should be fine :yep: as Zottula said you'll forget about that grade once you've got a degree..

ReputationRep:
    once you get a degree your a-levels wont matter. n because you cant do much about your bio grade, at this point, it would be better to divert your attention to getting better grades in your other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing wrong with a D.

ReputationRep:
    just work hard in your other subjects will probz make you feel better if you get better grades in your other A-levels then at leats you have 3 others to worry about

ReputationRep:
    After you have done your degree you are allowed to just retake it - like do it in a year if it really bothers you. Which it would me to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    What exam board did you do Biology on?

ReputationRep:
    or you could man up, people are going through worse things. sorry to be harsh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Motivation!)
    or you could man up, people are going through worse things. sorry to be harsh
    Your not being harsh. You are right, there are people going through a lot worse things than recieving a D in an A level exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    Your not being harsh. You are right, there are people going through a lot worse things than recieving a D in an A level exam.
    Yes, but the OP is justified in being upset by it - problems are relative to the person. If everyone who was ever upset just thought, "oh, well, someone else is worse off" then nothing would really be all that balanced, would it? I see what you're saying, but I think that if something upsets you, you're perfectly justified in saying so, no matter how trivial or petty it may seem.

OP, don't worry. A D grade is still worth UCAS points. If you're personally ashamed of it, you never have to bring it up again, but still put it down on your UCAS. My sister acheived a D-grade at A level maths, and was too ashamed to put it on her UCAS, whereas she could have acheived a better university offer if she had. A D is still a pass, OP, still a qualification. As you get more and more qualifications, the previous ones mean less - I've forgotten my GCSE grades, and sometimes I have to think twice about my A level ones, and I'm only in my second year of a degree.

:hugs: cheer up!

ReputationRep:
    Yes there are worse things going on in the world but this is the OP's life, ambitions and wants we are talking about. Obviously they are going to care deeply aboutd grades, no? :/

well some people more than others...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    Yes, but the OP is justified in being upset by it - problems are relative to the person. If everyone who was ever upset just thought, "oh, well, someone else is worse off" then nothing would really be all that balanced, would it? I see what you're saying, but I think that if something upsets you, you're perfectly justified in saying so, no matter how trivial or petty it may seem.

OP, don't worry. A D grade is still worth UCAS points. If you're personally ashamed of it, you never have to bring it up again, but still put it down on your UCAS. My sister acheived a D-grade at A level maths, and was too ashamed to put it on her UCAS, whereas she could have acheived a better university offer if she had. A D is still a pass, OP, still a qualification. As you get more and more qualifications, the previous ones mean less - I've forgotten my GCSE grades, and sometimes I have to think twice about my A level ones, and I'm only in my second year of a degree.

:hugs: cheer up!
    Relative to her situation she has so many options to " solve " or " remove " the problem it isn't really even a problem.
    i) Resit.
    ii) Barely anyone even cares once you are university any how
    iii) Do another A level.

Goes on and on.
    Your sister could have got her offer taken away if they had found out, she isn't technically speaking allowed to do what you stated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZOMG!)
    Yes there are worse things going on in the world but this is the OP's life, ambitions and wants we are talking about. Obviously they are going to care deeply aboutd grades, no? :/

well some people more than others...
    She has many solutions to this problem, does she not?

ReputationRep:
    Relative to her situation she has so many options to " solve " or " remove " the problem it isn't really even a problem.
    i) Resit.
    ii) Barely anyone even cares once you are university any how
    iii) Do another A level.

Goes on and on.
    Your sister could have got her offer taken away if they had found out, she isn't technically speaking allowed to do what you stated.
    I know she could have done - I'm not condoning it or even suggesting it to OP, just saying my sister was idiotic when in the same situation.

ReputationRep:
    So I am supposed to not be upset by it because there are people suffering worse? Remember that the next time you complain about something!...

i cannot resit it as i said above, and I was just asking for advice really, not for you to feel sorry for me..

ReputationRep:
    McDonalds will hire you, at least you have that as a positive.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.