Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Post first date etiquette watch

Announcements

Please keep anon - usual reasons.

So you go on a first date. Arrange a second date for the next weekend.

What do you do in the time in-between? Is it normal to not really speak, as in text/call at all during that week-long gap?

ReputationRep:
    Well, at least text them to see if the next date is still on the day/night before. If it was me, I'd wanna text them a couple of times before the next time I saw them just to show I was keen... but obviously not too much so that you come across as clingy/obsessive.

ReputationRep:
    I'd continue chatting to them as normal?

All this 'post date etiquette' stuff is BS. Frankly; I'd be a little concerned if a girl I went on a date with and hand arranged a second refused to contact me in the week between.

ReputationRep:
    You should position yourself outside their house. Every hour, on the hour, you should spend 4 minutes exactly building a paper plane, then placing a particular variety of rice on it, and throwing it at their door. If they answer the door, shout a complement at them in a German accent. Do this with a different variety of rice each time.

(Original post by Reue)
    I'd continue chatting to them as normal?

All this 'post date etiquette' stuff is BS. Frankly; I'd be a little concerned if a girl I went on a date with and hand arranged a second refused to contact me in the week between.
    Would you expect the girl to contact you? Or when you say refuse to contact, do you mean refuse to reply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you expect the girl to contact you? Or when you say refuse to contact, do you mean refuse to reply?
    I'd expect the girl to initiate all contact, because I am that arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    **** the etiquette, contact the girl if you want to contact her. If she gets upset at breaking the etiquette then at least you find out immediately that she wasn't a keeper anyway.

I'm the girl. It sounds bad, but I'm not keen enough just yet, to be contacting him. But he seemed keen enough to arrange the second date, before the first even ended. And then confirmed after. But since then, no contact, which seems a bit odd. Maybe he's waiting for me to contact him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm the girl. It sounds bad, but I'm not keen enough just yet, to be contacting him. But he seemed keen enough to arrange the second date, before the first even ended. And then confirmed after. But since then, no contact, which seems a bit odd. Maybe he's waiting for me to contact him?
    Maybe he's wondering about this etiquette too?

Seriously though I don't think it's worth worrying about, just wait until the next date then unless you want to contact him yourself...

ReputationRep:
    OP, just text her whenever you feel like you'd like to talk to her. There are no set rules, every pairing is different. It's good to let her know you're thinking of her, if you try to abide by 'rules', then you may well risk coming off too cold.

ReputationRep:
    I just usually text the next day with something on the lines of "yesterday was great fun, see you on [the day of the second date]"

After that I don't really bother until the day before I'm seeing her again. If she contacts me I prefer not to answer the phone/text back because I hate long bullcrap phone conversations and it's hard to pretend I'm interested. I mean, she can talk all she likes on dates...I have her body to stare at and plan out just exactly I'll be doing to it in the later hours :rolleyes: but not over the phone :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    I just usually text the next day with something on the lines of "yesterday was great fun, see you on [the day of the second date]"

After that I don't really bother until the day before I'm seeing her again. If she contacts me I prefer not to answer the phone/text back because I hate long bullcrap phone conversations and it's hard to pretend I'm interested. I mean, she can talk all she likes on dates...I have her body to stare at and plan out just exactly I'll be doing to it in the later hours :rolleyes: but not over the phone :sigh:
    :shifty: how niiice are you :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.