Turn on thread page Beta

Hello

I'm a 17 year old female who has had (what I THINK) is Osgood-schlatters, since I was at least 9 years old. I have a significant lump on my tibia near my knee cap which is incredibly painful, particularly after excerise (and even more so when its cold!). I find it really hard to keep my leg still for a long period of time as the 'lump' begins to ache. My joint area is just generally very painful and the first time I went to my doctor about it he just shrugged my plea off! I'm wearing a tubegrip over my knee at the moment to provide some support.
    My boyfriend has osgood-schlatters in both his knees and got offered surgery and physio.

I used to do sports such as dancing and I used to be very active. However I'm in a lot of pain often because of this knee - and like I said, it's hurting more than ever now it's cold outside!

Has anyone got any advice? What could I do about it, any home remedies to ease the pain? What supports would you recommend.

ReputationRep:
    My friend has had it for years, although it has finally begun to improve. She wasn't offered anything major by her Dr but I do remember he gave her stronger pain medication so maybe going back would be a good idea. She regurally wore knee supports but found this to be of little help other than when doing rigerous excersise (running and the like). She found gentle swimming helped maintain strength in the knee without causing too much pain.
    Heat! My friend swears by her hot water bottle You could also try that Ibuleve gel?
    In summary; go to doctors, continue wearing the knee supports as needed, do gentle excersie and apply heat!
    Hope things get better for you

ReputationRep:
    had it for at least 10 years now in the first couple of years it gave me hell couldn't play any sports but few years after got better...was even able to play rugby and never have any trouble and now only affects me if it gets purposely hit.....i was given some pain killers tablet and gel form never wore a brace but in the years it was a pain i could do sports now and then.
    Trust me their is NO cure for it and anything you take will let the pain subside for that moment but it will come back I advise just being mindful of knocking into things (cause that hurts like ****) for majority of people you'll just have the bump in the future

ReputationRep:
    i had the same condition on my right knee..

the doctor said it would go away when I turn 18-19...

..and it did.

(apparently it goes away when you stop growing)

(Original post by ibs137)
    i had the same condition on my right knee..

the doctor said it would go away when I turn 18-19...

..and it did.

(apparently it goes away when you stop growing)
    Cause your skelly's matured or something. (:

My boyfriends 20 (21 in July) and his knees have apparently gotten much better then they used to be, however he's still 'aware' and obviously they can still cause him discomfort. And if they're hit he'll fall like a ton of bricks. :p:

I guess I'll just find some decent pain relief until I'm about 19, if it hasn't eased off I'm going to go and harass my doctor moreso for some physio or something. .

I think I'm more annoyed about the cold weather making it worse to be honest! Haha.

Ahem. I anon failed. So here's my previous post!

Thanks to both of you - I'll take a look at the gel and maybe pop into the walk in centre - I harass my doctor enough for medications! Yeah I can't touch my knee, I'm too nervous about it because I know how much it hurts, and my goodness don't ask me to kneel down. :p:

I've just recently bought a bike, probably not the best idea? But I enjoy swimming so I guess I'll start that back up when it's less cold! Looking into the gels and pain relief now. I know anti inflamitarys should help, but I can't use those like... 'frequently' really can I? :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.