Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I Was Just Wondering?

Could I Do A BA In Accounting And Finance And Then Go Onto Study Medicine?

My GCSE Grades Were:
    Maths: A
    Science: A
    English : C

Rest Were C's.

A Level ( Predicted ): CCC. Bio,Maths And Business

Ive Sent Off My UCAS And All The Courses I Am Applying For Are Accounting Related.

Is There Anyway I Could Get Into Medicine After Doing A BA or BSc?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yea postgraduate medicine is offered at quite a few places, notts is one and there are plenty of others. Its usually a 4/5 year course. Although im not sure why you wouldn't just do a year or so to retake your A-levels and do subjects relevant to medicine. Just my 2 cents...

ReputationRep:
    Well Im In My Second Year Of Sixth Form?

And Do Universities Require A Reason For Why You Resat A Year?

ReputationRep:
    That's no problem, you've plenty of time to do the A-levels for it. If thats what you really want to do then i'd say just do the relevant subjects. Otherwise your spending 3 years on a subject you may not enjoy and its costing you a hell of a lot to do it. I wouldn't imagine they would need a reason, but if they do you could state your desire to study medicine meant you felt you couldn't study anything else. It shows commitment.

ReputationRep:
    Ok Ill Probably Speak To The Head Of Sixth Form About It Tomorrow.

Thanks For The Help

ReputationRep:
    You Don't Have To Capitalise Each Word.

ReputationRep:
    you can a apply to GEM. if you research properly there are medical schoold that do not even look at GCSEs and Alevels if you have a degree of 2;1 or above.

so yea you can.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you can't resit, surely you would be better off doing something a bit more related to medicine i.e. biomed?

ReputationRep:
    where are you applying for accounting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vaqaar)
    Well I Was Just Wondering?

Could I Do A BA In Accounting And Finance And Then Go Onto Study Medicine?

My GCSE Grades Were:
    Maths: A
    Science: A
    English : C

Rest Were C's.

A Level ( Predicted ): CCC. Bio,Maths And Business

Ive Sent Off My UCAS And All The Courses I Am Applying For Are Accounting Related.

Is There Anyway I Could Get Into Medicine After Doing A BA or BSc?

Thanks.
    Lol this is exactly what I'm doing. I'm a 2nd year Finance, Accounting and Management (fancy way of saying Accs + Finance) student at the Uni of Nottingham.

And basically I came across the GEM tent during freshers week of my 2nd year and ever since then becoming a Doctor is all I want to do, I devote 7 hours a week to GAMSAT prep but I'll crank that up to around 35 during the summer (GAMSAT is the aptitude test you need to take to get into Notts and around 4/5 other Unis in the UK).

In direct answer to your question though, yes you can apply to the GEM programme with any degree background, as long as the Univeristy states thats ok on their GEM programme profile. At Nottingham for example they have the 2nd largest intake of GEM students per year (91 I think, give or take a few) and require you have a minimum of a 2:2 in any degree background. GCSE's and A lvls are ignored, you just need to obtain a mark in the GAMSAT above their cut off score that usually averages around 58-60 (which is easy as long as you work for it). Nottingham is going to be my first choice obviously as I consider it a second home now, plus I get a discount of £500 as I'll be applying as an Undergrad student from Notts :cool:

I attended the Notts open day for the GEM 2010 intake (I'll hopefully be in the 2011 intake, just wanted to get a look around though) and the GEM school here has its own modern building and private accommodation its very fancy. I asked some current students how they went about preppin for the GAMSAT and the majority just followed Griffiths strategy (which is what I'm doing).

Anyway though if you do pursue it, Good Luck!

Heres some useful sites I've found useful in my decision and revision regime:

Griffiths Books - http://www.gamsatreview.com/Book_Reviews.html

Useful sites - http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

GAMSAT revision site - http://pagingdr.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gamsat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    That's no problem, you've plenty of time to do the A-levels for it. If thats what you really want to do then i'd say just do the relevant subjects. Otherwise your spending 3 years on a subject you may not enjoy and its costing you a hell of a lot to do it. I wouldn't imagine they would need a reason, but if they do you could state your desire to study medicine meant you felt you couldn't study anything else. It shows commitment.
    Yes it is a problem. A lot of medical schools will be vary wary about your application if it takes you 3 years to complete your A Levels.

All of your posts in this thread seem very uninformed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Yes it is a problem. A lot of medical schools will be vary wary about your application if it takes you 3 years to complete your A Levels.

All of your posts in this thread seem very uninformed.
    Perhaps you could offer some advice to OP then?

ReputationRep:
    I think I did; namely, advising them to ignore yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbyrne1989)
    AGAMSAT is the aptitude test you need to take to get into Notts and around 4/5 other Unis in the UK
    Wrong. 4 med schools that offer GEM have GAMSAT as an entry exam. One has BMAT, 4 have none and 7 use UKCAT.

You do the maths.

ReputationRep:
    The pointis that without having extenuating circumstances, being unable to get the grades in two years will mean that you might not be well prepared for the medic workload.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfy^)
    Wrong. 4 med schools that offer GEM have GAMSAT as an entry exam. One has BMAT, 4 have none and 7 use UKCAT.

You do the maths.
    I said that 4/5 Unis required the GAMSAT as entry to their GEM programmes, which is as you have yourself pointed out correct.

5/7 of those Unis that require the UKCAT ask that your degree is relevant to a science degree. And the remaining 2 of those Universities are KCL and Oxford who only offer 24 and 30 places respectively.

As the OP is doing a non science related degree (Accs + Finance) it makes a lot more sense that he sits the GAMSAT because A) They tend to offer a lot more places and B) They aren't discriminant of your academic background.

P.S. before you troll someone, actually do some research beforehand. It will stop making yourself look like such an ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbyrne1989)
    I said that 4/5 Unis required the GAMSAT as entry to their GEM programmes, which is as you have yourself pointed out correct.

5/7 of those Unis that require the UKCAT ask that your degree is relevant to a science degree. And the remaining 2 of those Universities are KCL and Oxford who only offer 24 and 30 places respectively.

As the OP is doing a non science related degree (Accs + Finance) it makes a lot more sense that he sits the GAMSAT because A) They tend to offer a lot more places and B) They aren't discriminant of your academic background.

P.S. before you troll someone, actually do some research beforehand. It will stop making yourself look like such an ass.
    I apologize. I actually I misread your first post and thought you said 80% of uni's in the UK that offer a GEM course require you to sit the GAMSAT.So instead of 4 out of 5, I understood 4 divided by 5. Maths is starting to make me crazy.

And I was not trolling, I was pointing something out, so when someone stumbles onto this thread, they get the correct information. Don't take it personally.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.