Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Need help with improving speed does my routine sound alright? watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to get faster at sprinting and at the same time improve my 400m time, neither times are good but all I can do is try to improve. Every week on tuesday I do 5 laps/intervals. This involves a slow jog to the 200m mark and then fast striding the remaining 200m to the finish, I try to get in 5 of these and then a circuit on the weight machines in the gym to try and build a bit of power (I don't want to do free weights).

On wednesday I will do plyometric exersises and an abdominal circuit, then some 60m sprints followed with 30 mins of jogging. On thursday I'l try and work the anaerobic system but striding 200m, 3 minute rest, 300m, 3 minute rest, 400m, 300m, rest then finish with 200. I'l then do a 30 minute jog. I think I need to get more accelerations/sprinting in but do you guys think the above is an ok routine? What do I need to do more/less of again my aim is to improve my sprinting speed and 400m? Would too much jogging hinder this do you think I was planning to go for more runs but Ive heard it can hinder speed..

ReputationRep:
    HIIT?

Also, to build speed, you need to build strength. Your speed is determined by the force with which you propel yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Ws4sb

ReputationRep:
    Bit off-topic but i'm just curious to why you want to avoid free-weights!

Regarding the speed shuttle-runs might help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    I want to get faster at sprinting and at the same time improve my 400m time, neither times are good but all I can do is try to improve. Every week on tuesday I do 5 laps/intervals. This involves a slow jog to the 200m mark and then fast striding the remaining 200m to the finish, I try to get in 5 of these and then a circuit on the weight machines in the gym to try and build a bit of power
    So you want to run fast 400s? This might sound a little crazy but here we go...how about you run some fast 400s striving to improve your time every time rather than jogging half of it.

(Original post by Riddy)
    (I don't want to do free weights).
    Why? They're going to be far more effective than bumming around with weights machines.

(Original post by Riddy)
    On wednesday I will do plyometric exersises and an abdominal circuit
    What happened to your lower back?

(Original post by Riddy)
    then some 60m sprints followed with 30 mins of jogging.
    Jogging for 30+ mins is going to do little (if anything) for your sprint and 400m times.

If you want to sprint faster and/or run 400m faster you have to sprint and/or run 400m properly.

(Original post by Riddy)
    On thursday I'l try and work the anaerobic system but striding 200m, 3 minute rest, 300m, 3 minute rest, 400m, 300m, rest then finish with 200.
    I'm not a track coach so I could be pissing in the wind but where are these crazy training ideas coming from?

Get yourself down to a track coach and/or join an athletics club - you will make far greater progress, far quicker, than your haphazard approach.

ReputationRep:
    1. WS4SB part III
    2. 2 x weighted 20's 4 x 20's 3 x 40's 2 x 60's all with full rest. = general speed
    3. 6-8 x flying 100m (full rests) 4 x 200 (3-5min rests) 3 x 300 (5-10mins rest) = 400m speed
    4, Get to a track and speak to a coach. = sensible

ReputationRep:
    Spriting = ballistic stregnth

Machines = gayer than a gay mans gay parts

Free-weights, especially Olyimpic syle rotines = Ballistic strength

Sprinters do not need to be doing any cardio! Thier training is all free weights and HIIT.

Sprints dragging weights, sprinting up stairs, explosive squats and power cleans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    So you want to run fast 400s? This might sound a little crazy but here we go...how about you run some fast 400s striving to improve your time every time rather than jogging half of it.

Why? They're going to be far more effective than bumming around with weights machines.

What happened to your lower back?

Jogging for 30+ mins is going to do little (if anything) for your sprint and 400m times.

If you want to sprint faster and/or run 400m faster you have to sprint and/or run 400m properly.

I'm not a track coach so I could be pissing in the wind but where are these crazy training ideas coming from?

Get yourself down to a track coach and/or join an athletics club - you will make far greater progress, far quicker, than your haphazard approach.
    Why are they crazy? These are what Ive been told to do over the past few years im in an athletic club. Stength (weight machines), explosive power (plyometrics) and sprints are what need to be worked on right? The interval stuff (jogging, striding 200m) is for anaerobic endurance which I thought would help with 400m. Lower back exersises are included in the ab workout and the jogging is just for general fitness and warming up/down but I don't know if Im doing too much or if jogging everyday for say 20 mins would hinder speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    Why are they crazy? These crazy ideas are what Ive been told to do over the past few years im in an athletic club.
    Well in some ways I don't have much faith in them then.

(Original post by Riddy)
    Stength (weight machines)
    On the whole machines are inferior to free weights.

(Original post by Riddy)
    Lower back exersises are included in the ab workout
    Good - a more apt name would be a 'core workout' as your lower back muscles are different to your abdominals and/or the muscles usually worked in an 'ab workout'.

(Original post by Riddy)
    the jogging is just for general fitness and warming up/down but I don't know if Im doing too much or if jogging everyday for say 20 mins would hinder speed.
    All a slow jog really prepares you for is slow jog. If you're running plenty of 400s and getting your sprints in you will get faster and fitter without the need to spend hours jogging after a workout.

sprints are what need to be worked on right?
    For speed yes.

The interval stuff (jogging, striding 200m) if for anaerobic endurance which I thought would help with 400m.
    I'd think more along the lines of running a proper 400 but gradually reducing the rest period between repeats.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.