If someone was obese or overweight Watch

This discussion is closed.
cherrydrops1985
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
if u knew someone who was obese or overweight and u saw them chucking down loadz of alcohol, fatty foods etc. wud u advise them to stop?

now if u knew someone who suffered from lung cancer and was smoking, wud u advise them to stop?

let me know, and ur reason for each answer?

x
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SparklLZz)
if u knew someone who was obese or overweight and u saw them chucking down loadz of alcohol, fatty foods etc. wud u advise them to stop?

now if u knew someone who suffered from lung cancer and was smoking, wud u advise them to stop?

x
if it was someone you cared for yes......obeseity and smoking is dangerous to their health....
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think I better stay the hell away from this one - my previous views on this subject lost me my good rep.

I decided to renege on my last thread where I promised not to return.
cherrydrops1985
cool. but its just that ive noticed that obesity isnt classed as dangerous to health as cancer/heart diesease etc, but people fail to recognise that alot of disease come from obesity and overweightness.

ive noticed that with alot of my overweight friends, no one will stop them from eating donner kebabs everyday, drinking alot etc. even i cant do it, becoz i feel like they'll see me as being cruel just becoz theyre overweight.

but i know that if one of ym friends was ill becoz of smoking, becoz of cancer or asthma or whatever it is, i wud stop them sr8 away or try to anyway.

i duno why that is
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Michael Beaver)
I think I better stay the hell away from this one - my previous views on this subject lost me my good rep.

I decided to renege on my last thread where I promised not to return.
oh yeh they deleted that interesting thread about you being rude to that girl with all your laws of physics.
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh I am sooo tempted.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah I would advise them them to stop in both situations.. but you cant force someone to- Blair should know better.. (or maybe not)
MC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

x
I would probably try and stop both people, if they were willing to listen.

I would try and stop the obese person as I would present to them the reasons why obesity is unhealthy and can usually lead to a reduction in quality of life and a shorter life expectancy. I would also present the diseases which they would most probably have to live with if they continued to be overweight such as hypertension and coronary heart disease. I would also show them how to enjoy food without "chucking" down loads of unhealthy food.

The person suffering from lung cancer would probably have the idea that the damage is done and so they cannot be cured. If they are a terminally ill sufferer i would not advise them as having to deal with things like withdrawal symptoms and cravings in the months before they die would be unnessasary pain.
If they were not terminal i would advise them that they could be fully cured and that one of the ways to do that is to stop smoking.

Why do you ask?
cherrydrops1985
i just thought of it after watching jonathon ross last nite and the jonny vegas or whatever he;s called was on it.

ive been take away with mates enough times and sometimes im just SO TEMPTED to stop them, but i realise that most of the timeobese or overweight people dont like to think of themselves as fat so when u tell them to stop eating fatty food becoz of their weight, they look shocked and totally shattered

and then someone will call me a tight b**ch and then everybody will hate me and think im cold hearted and cruel
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
oh yeh they deleted that interesting thread about you being rude to that girl with all your laws of physics.

I'm male JSM :P , and i was typing a witty reply to Micheal but then Adshur deleted it

oh and to the thread

yes in both cases I would if they were friends.
Aylia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I don't think you can tell someone to stop eating fatty foods, as in they may be comfortable with their weight, or may take offence. Also, I think someone has to decide for themselves that they are crossing the line, as telling them what to do may just set them in their ways. With the cancer one, any smoker knows they are putting their health at risk, and doctors tell cancer patients to quit smoking. My uncle smoked + this led to his having a heart attack, but although advised to stop he continued smoking. Again i think it is a personal decision, i dont think in my uncle's case family/friend pressure would have made any difference - he knew the risks he was taking.
cherrydrops1985
but i see that as suicide! ur jus lettin someone kill themselves, does that mean u wud let ur family or friends commit suicide too? i wudnt even let someone i hardly know commit suicide ifi had the chance to stop them
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If it wa family or friends who you care about, then I'd definitely tell them. I mean, it would make you yourself feel better that you are trying to help them and their health. I remember that once I gave my grandad (he didn't have lung cancer, but I wantedhim to be healthy) a small talk on the effects of smoking after doing a project on that. It didn't work; he didn't stop smoking, butit made me feel a lot better that I was trying to help. Mind you I'm not sure about telling someone who you don't know that well, because they mighttake it badly!
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you believe they don't understand the consequences of their actions, then I consider it acceptable to better inform them. Otherwise, it's preaching and will probably primarily serve to annoy.
janon
Report 14 years ago
If they are fat, and persist to eat, then it is their own problem, and they are the only ones that could or should do anything about it. I mean, they could survive a lot longer without eating than more normal people, as they have inbuilt food stores. Hence the reason they are fat I suppose. But I would say that like 80% of the population are overweight these days, or at least verging on being labelled as such.
janon
Report 14 years ago
Heres a reason to stop being fat, psycopaths might kill you and cut off your skin to make a women suit.
just watched silence of the lambs, pretty good film. Not as gruesome as I had expected, but it is like 12 years old.
But, if you are fat, you might be cut up to be made into a women suit.
Think about it, is that extra twix worth it?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by janon)
Heres a reason to stop being fat, psycopaths might kill you and cut off your skin to make a women suit.
just watched silence of the lambs, pretty good film. Not as gruesome as I had expected, but it is like 12 years old.
But, if you are fat, you might be cut up to be made into a women suit.
Think about it, is that extra twix worth it?
erm ok, strange very strange
snow_white
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i don't believe you can tell people how to live they are in charge of themeselves, but if it's someone you care about and they are indeed causing harm to them selves that in turn can be fatal then i would definatly advise them kindly that it would be wise to cut down.
Babygal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

x

No i wouldn't not if it was some random person, cos it seems very rude to go up to someone and give them advice which surely they already know
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

x
no id just go eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
28.01%
No (568)
71.99%

Watched Threads