Turn on thread page Beta

If I didn't get 5 a*-c gcse's(mock), would I still be able to do A-levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    If I got one C, and the rest below that including being absent for some exams in my MOCKS would I still be able maybe not this year but in the futre take A-levels in college?

I've woken up now, and I've know I MUST do 1000x better, but you have to put your mock results on application forms right?

Or can I take my final GCSE's and apply then?

What are my options?
    I don't want to do a B-Tech or NVQ..

(I'm in year 11)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liisaaa)
    If I got one C, and the rest below that including being absent for some exams in my MOCKS would I still be able maybe not this year but in the futre take A-levels in college?

I've woken up now, and I've know I MUST do 1000x better, but you have to put your mock results on application forms right?

Or can I take my final GCSE's and apply then?

What are my options?
    I don't want to do a B-Tech or NVQ..

(I'm in year 11)
    You can do A-levels! Just try for the actual GCSEs!
    Mock results are internal; colleges aren't interested in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematician!)
    You can do A-levels! Just try for the actual GCSEs!
    Mock results are internal; colleges aren't interested in them.
    Colleges sometimes ask for them, and the predicted grade is based on mock results which goes on the app!

ReputationRep:
    depends on your school, grl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    Colleges sometimes ask for them, and the predicted grade is based on mock results which goes on the app!
    Yes, but not to choose who they will select... They look at the actual GCSEs for this!
    Predicted grades are not necessarily based SOLELY on mocks. A person may have had a lot of problems, and dropped from being a potential A grade student to a C grade student in the mocks. Teacher's assessment would show that person has the potential for an A, and give them an A/B as a target, as opposed to a C.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the college.. mine doesn't let you in if you have less than 3A*s.

But a lot will allow you entrance, and have to resit you core subjects in the AS year.. so it is do-able.

I'd look at the other options in your area too, just incase a levels are not avaliable to you at your local colleges.

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 gcses and did A levels. and got AAAaa. School GCSE's are stupid and in boring subjects hence the failures. However if your struggling at school due to finding it academically difficult then have a serious think about spending 2 years to fail A levels.

(Maths + english are essential to be at least a C though, for anything in life) but they may let you in as long as you retake these.

ReputationRep:
    Sixth form or college application will focus more on your real grade than your mock result
    But make sure you get to do the higher paper, if you can.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think it really matters to be fair i only had to put predicted grades on my application just work hard im sure it will be fine but my college did insist on having 5 a*'s-c's

ReputationRep:
    This isn't even your actual GCSEs...it doesn't matter at all. Trust me when I say that poor mock GCSEs will NOT adversely affect future applications.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just do it? What's wrong with you?

ReputationRep:
    I completely flunked my mocks then got straight A/A*s in the real thing. Just work hard and stay motivated for your actual GCSEs. If you're a good student I'm sure your teachers will make sure you get in wherever you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    For my mocks I got mostly Ds and Es, and I'm doing alright for A levels. I thought most places asked for your predicted grades rather than your mock results on your applications?

I'd only be worried if you weren't to get 5a*-cs for the real things but you should be able to get in

ReputationRep:
    Think of your results as a motive to grab those A*'s or whatever is your up most limit.

Let me give you some friendly/helpful advice

Gte off the internet and don't go on sites like yahoo answers,TSR etc unless you need help on a topic or need to go through some revision notes!!

I can't emphasise enough how many students say they will try 100x better in their real exams but they keep posting on the internet and before they know it, it's the night before the exam.

:yep: Gte off the internet for those A's and read your notes from school. Then you're guaranteed C's(good pass) to get into college.

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

When you get your results in the summer, you'll be glad you revised

ReputationRep:
    Think of your results as a motive to grab those A*'s or whatever is your up most limit.

Let me give you some friendly/helpful advice

Get off the internet and don't go on sites like yahoo answers,TSR etc unless you need help on a topic or need to go through some revision notes!!

I can't emphasise enough how many students say they will try 100x better in their real exams but they keep posting on the internet and before they know it, it's the night before the exam.

:yep: Get off the internet for those A's and read your notes from school. Then you're guaranteed C's(good pass) to get into college.

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

When you get your results in the summer, you'll be glad you revised

:rolleyes: You can go on TSR, just not as much lol

maybe half an hour a night if you've revised.

Whatever you do, don't jeprodise your social life.

Sorry for posting twice

ReputationRep:
    i didnt know colleges asked for mock results....

doing badly in mocks doesnt mean youll do badly in the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    what they say above. I completely flunked all the important subjects (maths, science)... and i got asked to leave my Biology GCSE lessons because i would have failed. For thoes too subjects i got a E for maths and a D for agricultural science (and i still got 3 offers from uni's - did do well in the more hands on subjects)

If unfortunately you do flunk the actual gcses you could go down the Diploma route. I did a first diploma which is equivalent to GCSE's [this is something to take if you don't quite make the grades] and im now on my final year of a National Diploma equivalent to 3 A Levels. In my expereance, this route suites some people better than the A Levels. I couldn't go back into a classroom for too long anymore.

[funny thing is, I've completed a GCSE equivalent in Biology, A Level Equiv in Biology and now I'm doing A Level Equiv in Microbiology and Biochemistry -- Which i would have never of done if i did A Levels.]
    :rolleyes:

my advice would be to revise, revise and revise... ban facebook, msn & the like.. any websites you don't need to be on don't go on them, and good luck. (what i have done for my little brother who is just coming up to GCSE's too)

good luck on you're exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    For my mocks I got mostly Ds and Es, and I'm doing alright for A levels. I thought most places asked for your predicted grades rather than your mock results on your applications?

I'd only be worried if you weren't to get 5a*-cs for the real things but you should be able to get in
    Yes, predicted results go on your application but some ask you to bring your mock results along with you when you go for an interview... :rolleyes:

They wouldn't be impressed with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    Why don't you just do it? What's wrong with you?
    if you get 5A*s-Cs, likelihood is you'll get to do a-levels somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    the mocks only tell you where you are at the moment, but when you start to work really hard and revise, then you will do far better in your actual gcse's. Just put your mock results behind and focus on what you can change in the future, not what you can't.

A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.