Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually know if this is the right place to post this, but I will do anyway. I am coming to the end of my 2nd year at Brum, current living in Selly Oak, and are looking for a new house for next year (a person is moving to France as she's on French/History course). We have seen a house today which has large bedrooms (the smallest room is bigger than my room is now). One of my housemates' girlfriend lives with us, she has done this year, and basically, they share the (biggest) room, and split the rent into 2 -so neither pay any more overall -we all pay £72.50, but they pay 1/2 of £72.50 each. That's fine -I don't have problem with that -they need the biggest room as all of the rooms in the house we are currently in are quite small, so it makes sense that they have the biggest.

The one we looked at today has, as I say, large bedrooms. The largest bedroom is an attic bedroom and is MASSIVE, with a KING SIZE bed. This is obviously perfect for them. But I don't see why they should automatically get that room, at the same rent (£65) as everyone else. I haven't actually said anything yet, because I don't want it to cause friction -they are really nice people and the last thing I want to do is fall out with them. But I just don't see why we can't all pick our names out of a hat (which is what was done to allocate all of the other bedrooms this year) -they could live in any of the other rooms, as they are the same size as what they have now. Alternatively, I think they should pay more (say £70) for the bigger room: I would certainly be happy to pay extra to have that room.

Do you think that I am being unreasonable? I only ask because I can't work out why I feel the way I do -all of the rooms are a good size, it's just that the one bedroom is much bigger/better than the others, and I don't really see why they should get it as a right.

I'm quite stressed about the whole situation, as I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamorgan)
    I don't actually know if this is the right place to post this, but I will do anyway. I am coming to the end of my 2nd year at Brum, current living in Selly Oak, and are looking for a new house for next year (a person is moving to France as she's on French/History course). We have seen a house today which has large bedrooms (the smallest room is bigger than my room is now). One of my housemates' girlfriend lives with us, she has done this year, and basically, they share the (biggest) room, and split the rent into 2 -so neither pay any more overall -we all pay £72.50, but they pay 1/2 of £72.50 each. That's fine -I don't have problem with that -they need the biggest room as all of the rooms in the house we are currently in are quite small, so it makes sense that they have the biggest.

The one we looked at today has, as I say, large bedrooms. The largest bedroom is an attic bedroom and is MASSIVE, with a KING SIZE bed. This is obviously perfect for them. But I don't see why they should automatically get that room, at the same rent (£65) as everyone else. I haven't actually said anything yet, because I don't want it to cause friction -they are really nice people and the last thing I want to do is fall out with them. But I just don't see why we can't all pick our names out of a hat (which is what was done to allocate all of the other bedrooms this year) -they could live in any of the other rooms, as they are the same size as what they have now. Alternatively, I think they should pay more (say £70) for the bigger room: I would certainly be happy to pay extra to have that room.

Do you think that I am being unreasonable? I only ask because I can't work out why I feel the way I do -all of the rooms are a good size, it's just that the one bedroom is much bigger/better than the others, and I don't really see why they should get it as a right.

I'm quite stressed about the whole situation, as I don't know what to do.

I think you're being perfectly reasonable-and I'm extremely suprised they are allowed to both live there splitting the rent to start with They should be paying more each than the rest of you without a doubt. Does the landlord know??

You're not being unreasonable at all, and I think perhaps if you can do it in a way that won't cause too many problems, you should raise your point. After all, it is their choice to live together-it doesn't automatically entitle them to the biggest room. I'd make a point of saying that all the rooms are the size they are in now, they manage well at the moment, so it's only fair that you draw names. If not....well, you could always enquire with the landlord....sneakily....as to whether living together like that and splitting the rent is allowed (in most places it definitely isn't)....
    but that might be my *****y side emerging a little lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. The rent isn't the issue to be honest: we all feel that the rent is per room, not per person. She splits obviously, so in that respect, this year there's been no problem. They do have the largest room this year, which we were all fine with (including me), because there was no way they would comfortably have fitted into a smaller room. My point is just that three of the rooms are the same size or bigger as they have now, so why should they have the biggest by right?

I did bring it up: he has said that he really wants the biggest room because they need the extra space, but he sees my point and would be willing to pay more. She has said that she is not willing to pay more, and I think that she was quite annoyed with me: when we all sat down to talk about houses, she ended up just walking away from the conversation. Things are fine again today, but I don't want to go into anything with any level of resentment: I am convinced that the rest of us are being totally fair, and I don't want to be labelled as a bad person. Her main point was that she gets half of the space we do, so should only pay half the rent. I think what she means is that she effectively has the space of the smallest room, because she has to share. But she is paying 1/2 of the rent.

I appreciate his offer to pay more, and maybe I should take that as a compromise solution? It means that the inequality is solved in terms of selection of room, but I still would prefer if it were totally random, because what's to stop me from saying that I am willing to pay more to guarantee the biggest room? I think I will compromise and see it as the best solution -they will have the biggest room, and we will all pay less.

So my question now is how much more should they have to pay? How do we even go about working this out? What do people think are fair criteria for working this out? Does anyone think I'm totally wrong on this issue and if so, why?

Many thanks and sorry for marathon post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.