Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie-var)
    Probably the cup if i'm honest.
    No one remembers who finishes 4th do they?
    Liar

Maybe nobody remembers who comes 4th, but people do remember a great season in the Champions League if you can get 4th.

Getting 4th gets you more money and attracts bigger players. League Cup? Yeah I wouldn't mind it but it's just not as good. I doubt people can remember who won the league cup 4 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    Hahaha oh my God.

How is your CL campaign better than ours? You've never played CL football lmao
    Their current CL campaign is better than yours because neither of you are currently in it, and as of RIGHT NOW Manchester City are more likely to get it than you.

That's fact, so i have no idea how you can argue that. Typical Scousers thinking you deserve to be in the top 4 and it's a crime if you're not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_1892)
    Complete ********. Champions league or the carling cup? Hmm...
    Erm, the money would be welcome, but a (first, for nearly a whole generation now) trip to Wembley Cup final and probably some european games in the Europa league anyway is what I would honestly prefer at the moment.

Granted, it is a bit of a shortsighted view or whatever, but currently we'd get absolutely dicked in Champions League anyway, we just aren't at that level yet but in a one-off cup final we'd have a genuine chance of winning something.

It'd be nice to break the top 4, but even if we don't then Tottenham or Man City are likely to this season and I wouldn't begrudge them doing that ahead of us.

For maximum dissipation of power away from the top 4 we'd want other teams to break into it AND win the cups.

Winning the carling cup or competing in the champions league against the worlds best teams which you have no chance against and not even guaranteed to win?

I know which I'm choosing.
    No one remembers the runners up.
    Middlesborough won the League cup a few years back and look where they are now.

Champions League football is a far bigger deal because you get recognised on a worldwide basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Go and do your abcs. The thread is about Premier League fans, it's not unreasonable to expect opinions to be based on attendance/s at PL games.

I'm not saying that. Your opinion is biased, totally biased. You'd make up the Hillsborough comment to be sensationalist, and garner some sort of support..... I'm sure the Utd fans sang too, but the occasion will be coloured by various factors.

I don't comment on rival fans because I know my opinion is biased.
    I can speak English fairly well thank you.

I wouldn't make a comment about Hillsborough up, but if you think I did then believe that I honestly don't care.

United fans are ok, but nowhere near as good as Liverpool. Yes I'm biased but neutrals will say the same. You seem to sing about scousers all the time, obsessed much?

ReputationRep:
    Liar

Maybe nobody remembers who comes 4th, but people do remember a great season in the Champions League if you can get 4th.

Getting 4th gets you more money and attracts bigger players. League Cup? Yeah I wouldn't mind it but it's just not as good. I doubt people can remember who won the league cup 4 years ago.

haha calling me a liar when it's my own opinion? wow.

As I wrote earlier I can't really comment that much on it because I've never known what it is like to qualify for the champions league and attract "big players". Even if villa got 4th I find it highly unlikely O'neill would sign big players, sadly.

(Original post by MC REN)
    Erm, the money would be welcome, but a (first, for nearly a whole generation now) trip to Wembley Cup final and probably some european games in the Europa league anyway is what I would honestly prefer at the moment.

Granted, it is a bit of a shortsighted view or whatever, but currently we'd get absolutely dicked in Champions League anyway, we just aren't at that level yet.
    That's a fair point, but the way the club is heading right now we need all the money we can get - got to think about longterm stability rather than a day trip down to Wembley.

ReputationRep:
    haha calling me a liar when it's my own opinion? wow.

As I wrote earlier I can't really comment that much on it because I've never known what it is like to qualify for the champions league and attract "big players". Even if villa got 4th I find it highly unlikely O'neill would sign big players, sadly.
    Ok well it's your opinion, it's an absurd one like but fair enough. And the OP said If you were a Liverpool fan, no Liverpool fan would take Carling Cup over CL football.

And Villa have money to spend, so it would be fairly easy to sign big players.

ReputationRep:
    And Villa have money to spend, so it would be fairly easy to sign big players.
    You don't know O'neill.

And by the looks of things at the moment, we have to sell to buy.

ReputationRep:
    No response to everyone stating this though, haha.

Hahaha oh my God.

Their current CL campaign is better than yours because neither of you are currently in it, and as of RIGHT NOW Manchester City are more likely to get it than you.

That's fact, so i have no idea how you can argue that. Typical Scousers thinking you deserve to be in the top 4 and it's a crime if you're not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)

Right ok, I'm going to break this argument down.

1) I was actually referring to the actual Champions league campaign, yes we did **** but we were in it (City weren't)

2) Yes they at currently having a better PL campaign

3) Its January, we've had our best players out and we are a point off 4th. We just beat Spurs 2-0 and City lost to Everton.

4) I'm not saying we SHOULD be playing CL football. I just think We will make the top 4.

Is that better?

ReputationRep:
    I can speak English fairly well thank you.

I wouldn't make a comment about Hillsborough up, but if you think I did then believe that I honestly don't care.

United fans are ok, but nowhere near as good as Liverpool. Yes I'm biased but neutrals will say the same. You seem to sing about scousers all the time, obsessed much?
    If you say so.

If you didn't care you wouldn't comment.

It's reasonable to assume that there are no neutrals when it comes to Utd, we are universally hated, and loved. Like I said earlier, the atmosphere at most PL changes from game to game, inc. games at Anfield, check the LFC thread if you don't believe me wrt Anfield, or ask Meskell. I've never sang about scousers at OT, others do, personally I sing about Cantona/Solskjaer/Cole and 99. I couldn't give a toss about scousers, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    You don't know O'neill.

And by the looks of things at the moment, we have to sell to buy.
    I suppose MON isn't the kind of manager who signs big stars.

Sell to buy? Join the club, so you're not in a great financial situation? What would be better financially, winning Carling Cup or Getting CL football?

ReputationRep:
    Right ok, I'm going to break this argument down.

1) I was actually referring to the actual Champions league campaign, yes we did **** but we were in it (City weren't)

2) Yes they at currently having a better PL campaign

3) Its January, we've had our best players out and we are a point off 4th. We just beat Spurs 2-0 and City lost to Everton.

4) I'm not saying we SHOULD be playing CL football. I just think We will make the top 4.

Is that better?
    All valid points, but you make them all irrelevant with your little outburst.

At the end of the day, Manchester City have more of a right to a Champions League spot at the end of this season than you right now.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha oh my God.

Oh, I meant getting into the CL, which is still more likely for us or Spurs than you. Not that the distinction matters that much. No point having CL football if you're only gonna throw it away in such ignominous fashion :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    If you say so.

If you didn't care you wouldn't comment.

It's reasonable to assume that there are no neutrals when it comes to Utd, we are universally hated, and loved. Like I said earlier, the atmosphere at most PL changes from game to game, inc. games at Anfield, check the LFC thread if you don't believe me wrt Anfield, or ask Meskell. I've never sang about scousers at OT, others do, personally I sing about Cantona/Solskjaer/Cole and 99. I couldn't give a toss about scousers, tbh.
    I actually don't care, I comment because I want you to know this. I know it happened. Going by that theory you must care about scousers, if not then why comment?

You may not sing about scousers, that's irrelevant. The majority do.

ReputationRep:

Sell to buy? Join the club, so you're not in a great financial situation? What would be better financially, winning Carling Cup or Getting CL football?

we're not that desperate for money yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    All valid points, but you make them all irrelevant with your little outburst.

At the end of the day, Manchester City have more of a right to a Champions League spot at the end of this season than you right now.
    What outburst?

Yes RIGHT NOW City are more entitled. However the season doesn't end in January and they haven't had a lot of players injured.

This time last season we were entitled to win the league, it never happened though did it?

ReputationRep:

We're currently stable financially, and if we got into champs league for just one season but still spent big on players and their wages (which isn't a MON/Lener policy so we probably wouldn't, but still for argument's sake) we'd be in a more precarious situation

Similarly if Liverpool don't finish top 4 then they could be in a dangerous situation, which might be alleviated by capitalising on Torres/Gerrard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Oh, I meant getting into the CL, which is still more likely for us or Spurs than you. Not that the distinction matters that much. No point having CL football if you're only gonna throw it away in such ignominous fashion :console:
    Even having CL football is a good thing. Whether you get knocked out in the group stages or not. It gives you more money and attracts bigger players. United came bottom of their CL group 5 years ago, they're still going strong though.

If City got into the top 4 imagine what players you could sign. This is why it's vital that we get it. And it's only January, season ends in May.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.