Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I don't go out much, need advice on what to wear! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in my first year of uni, i don't go out all that much and i'm not really much of a girly girl so i'm not used to getting dressed up too often! I am pretty clueless in knowing what to wear on nights out -_-'

I've been invited to stay with my friend for the weekend and their Student union is having a masquerade ball type night and she'd like me to go.
    She said going in jeans and a nice top and getting a mask would do. Is this true or are most other girls likely to girly it up and be wearing dresses? (Even if it is only a SU night)

I have some money to spend on some new clothes, so was just wondering, is buying a dress the way to go?

Thanks for any advice
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    if every1 is gunna be in jeans and a nice top deffo go for the nice jeans and top you dont wanna look really overdressed

ReputationRep:
    Wear exactly what Bridget Jones wears when she thinks she's going to a tarts and vicars party... guaranteed success!

Does this make me a dork too?

:ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    Wear exactly what Bridget Jones wears when she thinks she's going to a tarts and vicars party... guaranteed success!
    I said i don't go out much, i didn't say i was completely stupid
    Thanks for the tip but think i'll skip on that one!

(Original post by DaniLou17)
    if every1 is gunna be in jeans and a nice top deffo go for the nice jeans and top you dont wanna look really overdressed
    Good point definatly don't want to look overdressed lol!

ReputationRep:
    Get a hand held mask first and then try and match your outfit to it or stick to something neutral like black/gold/silver for a mask.

If that is the dress code then wear jeans, most female students do wear dresses or make an effort on a night out at the SU. There probably will be girls in jeans and 'nice' tops but there will also be girls in dresses and heels or jeans and heels etc.

Go for what you will feel comfortable in, or ask your friend what she will be wearing so at least you won't feel left out if her dress code matches yours.

Have a good time....

ReputationRep:

This.

(Original post by dmae)

This.
    FOOOOR GRAAAAYSKUUUUUUUUULL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    FOOOOR GRAAAAYSKUUUUUUUUULL!
    Oh and OP don't forget to oil your body so you can be shiny and sexy :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayjayjay)
    Get a hand held mask first and then try and match your outfit to it or stick to something neutral like black/gold/silver for a mask.

If that is the dress code then wear jeans, most female students do wear dresses or make an effort on a night out at the SU. There probably will be girls in jeans and 'nice' tops but there will also be girls in dresses and heels or jeans and heels etc.

Go for what you will feel comfortable in, or ask your friend what she will be wearing so at least you won't feel left out if her dress code matches yours.

Have a good time....
    Thanks! Your post has been really helpful : ) I think my friend and some of hers are going to be wearing dresses so i'll probably try and go down the dress route!

(Original post by dmae)

This.
    Think i'd get a bit cold in that, it's still January after all. Ten points for effort though.

(Original post by ~D0rkG!rl~)
    Think i'd get a bit cold in that, it's still January after all. Ten points for effort though.
    It's a risk worth taking, and the oil will help.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome.
    Something like this may be nice http://www.newlook.co.uk/1822821/182...ctDetails.aspx

Better still, if you are going to stay for the whole weekend then plan a shopping trip before the ball with your friend. Maybe have buy your mask now so you have a rough idea of what colour you are looking for and have her advice on hand when you do buy something. If you are the same size you may even be able to borrow something from her.

ReputationRep:
    Well there are some options depending on your personality

There's the obvious stealth:

Then there's your come-hither setup:

and your ****-off look is now a hit:

oh and Merry Christmas:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply jayjayja : )
    And err thanks to the guys that have replied you didn't help much but made me laugh at least.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in my first year of uni, i don't go out all that much and i'm not really much of a girly girl so i'm not used to getting dressed up too often! I am pretty clueless in knowing what to wear on nights out -_-'

I've been invited to stay with my friend for the weekend and their Student union is having a masquerade ball type night and she'd like me to go.
    She said going in jeans and a nice top and getting a mask would do. Is this true or are most other girls likely to girly it up and be wearing dresses? (Even if it is only a SU night)

I have some money to spend on some new clothes, so was just wondering, is buying a dress the way to go?

Thanks for any advice
    xxx
    Kappa tracksuit looks hot on ANY girl...

Wait, what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    okay looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooll

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply jayjayja : )
    And err thanks to the guys that have replied you didn't help much but made me laugh at least.
    You could wear a fairly casual dress like
    http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp...9519&langId=-1 with black tights

or

http://www.oasis-stores.com/Butterfl...uct/3170064919
    with a chunky black waist belt and thick black tights

or

http://www.oasis-stores.com/Silk-Mix...uct/3170066240 with a black waist belt and thick black tights/leggings

you could wear them all with a black cardigan (if it's cold),
    black handbag (big enough that you can put your cardigan in if you get too hot),
    high black shoes http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Paris-...t=-1&clr=Black
    and some chunky black bangles
    Then just buy a small, handheld, black or silver sequinned mask (they sell them in most fancy dress shops)

I'd make it look a bit more dressed up by having smoky eyes and nude lips

ReputationRep:
    I'd go the dress route, OP, definitely. Or just match the sort of thing your friend will be wearing, so at least if you're over/under dressed, you won't be alone!

I'd put some smoky makeup on, some heels (can be kitten heels or very low ones if you're unsure), or smart, dressy flat shoes. Tights, and then a dress - you can 'dress up' something casual, if that's all you have or would like to buy. For example, it can be quite casual, but to you dressy: say this either over tight jeans, thick tights or leggings - some girls may go a lot further, but that's not to say you have to.

Or, something like this outfit - simple, dressy top, with tight jeans and heels. The heels little.miss.vicki posted were nice, so it can be something simple you feel you may get wear out of again.

If you dress simply, get a really lovely over-the-top mask!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.