40% pass mark? Watch

billybobbob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, quick question.

I'm in my first year and I was wondering something as regards pass mark. For example if I had a maths module with 3 exams and it says I needed 40% to pass the module.

test 1 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
test 2 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
test 3 - Counts towards 60% of the final mark

For example if I got full marks in the first 2 tests (40%) and got 0% in the final exam would It still count as a module pass? Or do I have to get 40% in each test?

Thanks
billybobbob
Rep:
?
Thank you for the el rapido response, appreciated
Toxic Tears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by billybobbob)
Hi, quick question.

I'm in my first year and I was wondering something as regards pass mark. For example if I had a maths module with 3 exams and it says I needed 40% to pass the module.

test 1 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
test 2 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
test 3 - Counts towards 60% of the final mark

For example if I got full marks in the first 2 tests (40%) and got 0% in the final exam would It still count as a module pass? Or do I have to get 40% in each test?

Thanks
No you may still have to get 40% in ALL tests to pass - that's how it is in my uni. It might be better to ask the people who actually deal with your subject exams in uni rather than strangers on the internet about something as important as your exams...
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends on your University, some (like Sheffield) require you to get at least 30% in each test and get an overall mark of 40%.
Nico_SU
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's completely university dependant. Some universities (and even more specifically, some modules) want 40% over the year, some want 40% on each module and some want 40% on each peice of work you do. My universities policy is the last one, but in the first year they don't enforce it and simply want us to get 40% on each module to progress.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had to get 40 % on each exam as well as 40 % overall.
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not even university dependent - it's often a departmental thing. I've taken courses at Edinburgh that require 40% overall and nothing else, courses that require 40% in all assessed elements, and courses that have required a higher mark still.
legendstar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
40% is a pass but its known as ''the drinkers degree'' dont think anyone should be aiming for that
leeming
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by legendstar)
40% is a pass but its known as ''the drinkers degree'' dont think anyone should be aiming for that
haha nice term...

but yea, from what i remember the overall passrate from year 1 to year 2 was to get 40%+ in every module (not sure about exams) they allowed people with 30%-40% but only with special consideration/resit in summer
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought 35% was a pass, but for you got an ordinary degree, not hons.

40% is a 3rd, not a pass.
ihaterealitytvshows
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ok so 40% is an e grade which is a pass they work out the average of the three modules (add all ur marks up and divide by three) so if you got 40+0=40/2=20 so ud have overall 20 which isnt a pass im afraid :/
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're aiming for 40% then perhaps university isn't for you.
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Like others have said, it depends?

In Coventry, you have to get 35% per component (e.g. a test or a piece of coursework) with at least 40% overall per module.

Where are you at Uni?
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends, I need at least 40% in each component of the module whereas some of my friends on other courses need 40% overall.
mf2004
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ihaterealitytvshows)
ok so 40% is an e grade which is a pass they work out the average of the three modules (add all ur marks up and divide by three) so if you got 40+0=40/2=20 so ud have overall 20 which isnt a pass im afraid :/
You really haven't understood the OP's question have you ?
billybobbob
Rep:
?
(Original post by legendstar)
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
If you're aiming for 40% then perhaps university isn't for you.
Don't be so quick to judge. I fall under special circumstances as much as I hate to be.

Also I don't drink.
quintsy
Badges: 3
Report 9 years ago
As others have said, it completely depends on the university, and within that- often the department, too. I believe that, for a number of our exams, the "pass" mark (i.e. that which won't require you to sit any additional penal exams) is 60%.
Pink Bullets
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is a silly question, because you're not going to get 100% in two exams and 0% in one. I can guarantee that.

Just aim to do your best. Anyone who puts the tiniest bit of effort into their degree will get at least 40%, surely.
amardattani
Report 9 years ago
for one unit i had two pieces of work worth 50% each
the first bit the group mark i got 54%(worth 50%)
and the oral exam(i got 36%)(worth 50%)

have i passed that unit
Luie85
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You would need to get at least 50% for tests 1 & 2 as that would be 10% each (since test 1 & 2 are both worth 20%) Therefore, for test 3 in order to get a pass of 40% overall across the 3 tests, you will need to get 34% for test 3 which would give you 20%. So this adds up to 10 + 10 + 20 = 40% overall
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (332)
15.6%
The paper was reasonable (1162)
54.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (460)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (174)
8.18%

Watched Threads