Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For my coursework I had to give participants the Religious Life Inventory and the Big 5 Personality Questionnaire, the true nature therefore being whether there is a relationship between religion and personality. From the data I then had to come up with a hypothesis or hypotheses to test.

My variables are:
    Religiosity
    Five personality traits (Extraversion, Agreeableness, Conscientiousness, Emotional stability and Intellect)
    Religious behaviours/beliefs
    Demographics i.e. age and gender

I am unsure of what to look at, e.g. how the big five is related to religion, i.e. are Extrovert people more religious or not? What test(s) would I run to find that out? e.g. ANOVA, in SPSS if I went to Analyze and then what? I don't know which variables I would use and where to put them in SPSS to get results which could tell me whether religious people were more Extrovert or Agreeable or more emotionally stable etc.

ReputationRep:
    If your H1 is: Religious people are significantly more extrovert than non-religious people, then..

Split your P's into Religious/Nonreligious. You could introduce multiple levels of the IV if you like, eg, Christian, Islamic, etc etc. Your other variables will be your personality trait scores.

Then you can either take the Extro scores from the personality test and whack it into a one-way ANOVA (Analyze > Compare Means > One-way Anova), asking for the correct post hocs, tests of variance, descriptives etc..

OR

You can take all of your personality traits and compare them using a MANCOVA (Analyze > General Linear Models > Multivariate) putting religion as a fixed factor. Again, don't forget your post-hocs. A plot might be useful too

Hope that helps. Sorry I didnt reply to your PM. I cba last night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    If your H1 is: Religious people are significantly more extrovert than non-religious people, then..

Split your P's into Religious/Nonreligious. You could introduce multiple levels of the IV if you like, eg, Christian, Islamic, etc etc. Your other variables will be your personality trait scores.

Then you can either take the Extro scores from the personality test and whack it into a one-way ANOVA (Analyze > Compare Means > One-way Anova), asking for the correct post hocs, tests of variance, descriptives etc..

OR

You can take all of your personality traits and compare them using a MANCOVA (Analyze > General Linear Models > Multivariate) putting religion as a fixed factor. Again, don't forget your post-hocs. A plot might be useful too

Hope that helps. Sorry I didnt reply to your PM. I cba last night.
    Thanks a lot for that, my tutor said that from the data there isn't that strong a relationship between the personality traits and religion though there is a strong relationship between spirituality and finance (one of the questions was 'do you contribute financially to a religion?').

So in my results I've got tables which are: a correlation with the religious life inventory (intrisic, extrinsic, quest) and the Big 5 questionnaire and descriptive stats however he mentioned something about doing a regression with that data but lost me..

And to look at the relationship between spirituality and finance I did a MANOVA and had 'finance (do you contribute financially 'yes' or 'no')' and 'spirituality (do you consider yourself to be a spiritual person 'yes' or 'no')' as the fixed factors and the religious life inventory (intrinsic, extrinsic, quest) as the DVs. If you looked at my output could you see what this 'relationship' between spirituality and finance is from the output?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Vito Corleone)
    If you looked at my output could you see what this 'relationship' between spirituality and finance is from the output?
    Nah sorry. I'm getting hounded with these requests now!

Best of luck though.

ReputationRep:
    A multiple regression would be ideal here (and pretty simple).

Take religiosity as the outcome variable and the five personality factors as the predictors. You could also enter gender as a dichotomous variable (coded 0/1).

Cheers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 23, 2010

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.