Turn on thread page Beta

im thinking of cutting off everything non uni for a week when I go to uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im reallly shy and am likely to lock myself in my room so I though I could cut everything off for a week, I mean not talk to family or friends and leave my telly or anything that will entertain me. How can I force myself to be more social? and is this a a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    yeh its a good idea, just don't take it too extreme. but cutting contact with old friends is definately a good idea. i'd personally recommend moving in as early as possible, then you can say hi to people as they arrive, offer to help them move stuff from their cars to their rooms etc etc, and just talk to as many people as possible

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this is an excellent idea! Go for it, son!

PS) not really.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be so bsy and you'll have so much to do that you'll end up ignoring non-uni stuff anyway. what I find is good is to have your door open most of the time when you're in your room and if a load of people come into one room, go with them, even if you don't feel like talking to them much.

ReputationRep:
    not to your family? robably a bit extreme.

If you lock yourself out and swallow the key you wont be able to go in your room for a good three days until you get it back. And even then you might not want to touch it.

But yeah - as I was saying not talking to family is too extreme.

I don't see how cutting yourself off from civilisation will help, tbh. :lolwut:

You can be more sociable by getting out of your comfort zone and talking to people! :ahee: When you move in, I mean.

The rest of didgeridoo's advice is good. :top: I wish I'd taken this advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    im reallly shy and am likely to lock myself in my room so I though I could cut everything off for a week, I mean not talk to family or friends and leave my telly or anything that will entertain me. How can I force myself to be more social? and is this a a good idea?
    If you feel lonely and depressed because you're denying yourself your usual pastimes it might make you seem a bit miserable maybe just cutting back might help. When i decided to make more friends and stop being unsociable i joined sports club (for beginners), volunteered in a charity shop (i picked one with generally young staff).
    If you want to be social with people at uni i'd recommend honing your conversation skills now. If you're an a- level student you may not have needed to make new friends in a while. Talk to people whenever an oppurtunity presents itself. Try talking to strangers occasionally (random people at school, shop assistants etc.). Expose yourself to new social situations and eventually it will get much easier. Also remember that people only rarely say very stupid things so the chances are that whatever you end up saying is ok.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.