Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    Just tell her what happened. Not your fault you fell asleep.

And if she's still angry get her a teddy bear or some flowers
    I don't think that would particularly make it better.. she could easily blow up another excuse not to talk to him by accusing him for 'falling asleep' when she really needed him.
    OP: give her more time and space.. though do send her a text/ voicemail that you're there for her, and will be when she needs you. And apologise that you were v tired that day etcetc(no need to get into details.. her mind is occupied with other matters for sure) and apologise profusely.
    Good luck with it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    If you're in a normal relationship, how are you not obligated to support your girlfriend when her mother could be dying? What is it that boyfriends are supposed to do in a situation like that, just not care?

And if we're not allowed to assume, we're not allowed to say anything about the subject. But obviously that's the kind of relationship they have, judging by the fact that she got angry at him over this. If they had some sort of unusual relationship lacking an emotional component, then she wouldn't have cared whether he was there for her or not.

Straw manning again I see
    I said assume like that, the reason I said that was because you talk about your assumptions as if they're factual.

Now, the obligation seems to be to the relationship, at the moment, which we've already dealt with, unless you'd like to go round round like a record baby.
    Unless you can provide moral reasoning to say the obligation should be towards here, or another piece of reasoning as to why.
    Furthermore we don't know what emotional attachments are to what in what way so on so forth.
    Whether they (any hypothetical components) exist or not etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Straw manning again I see
    I said assume like that, the reason I said that was because you talk about your assumptions as if they're factual.

Now, the obligation seems to be to the relationship, at the moment, which we've already dealt with, unless you'd like to go round round like a record baby.
    Unless you can provide moral reasoning to say the obligation should be towards here, or another piece of reasoning as to why.
    Furthermore we don't know what emotional attachments are to what in what way so on so forth.
    Whether they (any hypothetical components) exist or not etc.
    I'm not seeing where the strawman is here.

And I already said why. If you're in a relationship there's an emotional component. That's what makes it a relationship. If there's no emotion, it's just a bang buddy.

Unless I'm just misunderstanding you completely, I don't get why you're arguing that there's not any obligation to emotionally support your partner.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not seeing where the strawman is here.

And I already said why. If you're in a relationship there's an emotional component. That's what makes it a relationship. If there's no emotion, it's just a bang buddy.

Unless I'm just misunderstanding you completely, I don't get why you're arguing that there's not any obligation to emotionally support your partner.
    Simply put:
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Simply put:
    :facepalm2:
    Or you could just offer a rebuttal... or explain something more clearly if I'm missing something (the wording of your post was a bit difficult to decypher)

ReputationRep:
    Or you could just offer a rebuttal... or explain something more clearly if I'm missing something (the wording of your post was a bit difficult to decypher)
    I just don't see the point, we're now going around in circles.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

Communication, as always, will be key.

ReputationRep:
    What? you fell asleep and she's whining? Tell her to stop crying a make you a sammich... Hell, tell her to make me a sammich aswell...

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*
    *context fail*

ReputationRep:
    *context fail*
    Missing the point fail?

ReputationRep:
    Missing the point fail?
    I know this probably doesn't exist but I can only hope it does:

:facepalm3:
    If it hasn't been made two star trek moments can go in.

A conference where Riker and Picard both facepalm with each other (both one handers).
    Or when data is in Picards office in the episode where he has made an android. Picard ends up using both hands.
    Unless you bring up something new, I shall not reply to you on this matter any more.

ReputationRep:
    How about this - just explain to me what exactly your position is on this, because you jumped in mid-conversation, making it difficult for me to fully understand your thoughts. That would make things much easier.

ReputationRep:
    How about this - just explain to me what exactly your position is on this, because you jumped in mid-conversation, making it difficult for me to fully understand your thoughts. That would make things much easier.
    If you reply to me quote me.
    Answer to your post:
    see my posts on the first two or three pages.
    I start with post 9 about cake, but that's more jokey, so probably best to start with my posts after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyoujin)
    I'm on the phone with her now and she's talking comfortably about other stuff, almost like she's forgiven me but I know she hasn't.
    It'll take her a while to forgive you for that, but if you've explained that you simply fell asleep by accident, she shouldn't be angry. Just be grateful she's talking to you nicely and don't try to push for her to say she's forgiven you, because that will most likely make things worse.
    Just be there for her as much as possible now and it'll show her that you are there
    Hope everything's ok soon

ReputationRep:
    If you reply to me quote me.
    Answer to your post:
    see my posts on the first two or three pages.
    I start with post 9 about cake, but that's more jokey, so probably best to start with my posts after that.
    So basically, you're saying that they've had each other on pedestals and now it's getting to a point where they're both realizing they're not perfect and will have to make a decision whether or not they want to see past the flaws and stay together. And because of that pedestal she put him on, she was shocked by his mistake, causing her to overreact.

Did I get it right? Makes sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    So basically, you're saying that they've had each other on pedestals and now it's getting to a point where they're both realizing they're not perfect and will have to make a decision whether or not they want to see past the flaws and stay together. And because of that pedestal she put him on, she was shocked by his mistake, causing her to overreact.

Did I get it right? Makes sense to me.
    I said it seems likely that they've put views of each other up that are beyond being human. Not that they definitely have.
    And if this is the case there will be a 'make or break' patch to go through.

Perhaps I should add, it's usually best not to force this but let it occur naturally.
    And parts of it can stick for a long while.

ReputationRep:
    NOT YOUR FAULT.

I've been in similar situations before. All you can do is apologise, and stay strong for her at this point.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like she has an extremely thoughtful and lovely boyfriend. She shouldn't be cross, she's just going to a REALLY tough time at the moment which makes everything seem bad. It was gone midnight and you fell asleep, it's not like you meant to and you were clearly very upset about it I think give her space, don't feel so guilty because in my opinion you've done nothing wrong, be gentle with her and let her know you've upset her and why you've upset her and it'll all blow over. If she's a sensible girl she'll apologise too come the time

ReputationRep:
    Simply put, I have my opinion, you don't have any direct experiences of my mind.
    If that really is your attitude **** off you daft bint.
    You have issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    You have issues
    You seem to lack the intelligence to make a coherent reasonable argument.
    I might disagree with him but at least Delta Usafa used rational thinking instead of writing some of the stupidest **** I've read in the past week.
    And I've read quotes from Bush and Palin this week so it really is saying things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.