Turn on thread page Beta

Majorly screwed up with my girl. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I might disagree with him but at least Delta Usafa used rational thinking instead of writing some of the stupidest **** I've read in the past week.
    :blushing:

I said it seems likely that they've put views of each other up that are beyond being human. Not that they definitely have.
    And if this is the case there will be a 'make or break' patch to go through.

Perhaps I should add, it's usually best not to force this but let it occur naturally.
    And parts of it can stick for a long while.
    Alright, I can work with this hypothesis.

What is the source of our disagreement exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    :blushing:

Alright, I can work with this hypothesis.

What is the source of our disagreement exactly?
    Mainly your interpretation of the other persons argument (which we stopped discussing a few posts ago), and the way you're talking about obligation and talking about theories regarding their relationship as fact.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to lack the intelligence to make a coherent reasonable argument.
    I might disagree with him but at least Delta Usafa used rational thinking instead of writing some of the stupidest **** I've read in the past week.
    And I've read quotes from Bush and Palin this week so it really is saying things.
    LOL

Your double standards are hilarious. Go back and read your original response to me. Do you think that your lack of a coherent argument, you telling me to '**** off', and calling me a 'bint' might have something to do with how I responded to you?

You said I don't know what's going on in your head, but you didn't proceed to tell me did you? You also ignored the main part of my post, the point that she clearly isn't going to dump him she's just having the worst few days of her life.

That's why I told you you had issues. You do. You responded to me emotionally, irrationally and childishly. Now this new post of yours adds another trait - 'detached from reality'. If you can read your original post and wonder why I responded in the way I did you are detached from reality.

ReputationRep:
    Mainly your interpretation of the other persons argument (which we stopped discussing a few posts ago), and the way you're talking about obligation and talking about theories regarding their relationship as fact.
    I wouldn't say my interpretation of his argument was wrong (just have to read his first post to see that), and all I really said about their relationship was that it made sense to expect him to be there for her though based on the emotional nature of relationships. Not much to object to there, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    LOL

Your double standards are hilarious. Go back and read your original response to me. Do you think that your lack of a coherent argument, you telling me to '**** off', and calling me a 'bint' might have something to do with how I responded to you?

You said I don't know what's going on in your head, but you didn't proceed to tell me did you? You also ignored the main part of my post, the point that she clearly isn't going to dump him she's just having the worst few days of her life.

That's why I told you you had issues. You do. You responded to me emotionally, irrationally and childishly. Now this new post of yours adds another trait - 'detached from reality'. If you can read your original post and wonder why I responded in the way I did you are detached from reality.
    The reason why I resorted to 'petty name calling' as I would put it is due to how you made presumptions about my emotions and relationship with my mother, that you know nothing about.
    I felt it satisfying.
    My original post?
    I believe that was about cake.

My original reply to you in this thread, I don't believe I was aiming to make an argument, or prescribe anything, I believe I was merely expressing my sincere distaste for the view you put forward.
    I did put up two accepted pieces of information, unless you would like to throw them into dispute:
    I have opinions.
    You don't have direct experience of my mind.

I had hoped you'd be able to see how these put what you said to shame.

The reason I ignored part of your post, because I didn't want to reply to it. I didn't see any point in doing so. Instead I prioritised what I took issue with.
    And I can't tell you what's in my head in a language that will fully communicate it, see the latter part of the first line in my first reply to you to see why.

If you would care to explain how I'm detached from reality?
    Or suck my balls?
    Both would be great.
    Keep up the failing, it seems to be all you're good at based on your posts in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    bake a cake.
    cakes are tasty.
    oh and a cake for her as well.
    everyone loves cake
    (it's good comfort food)
    yay cake!!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    The reason why I resorted to 'petty name calling' as I would put it is due to how you made presumptions about my emotions and relationship with my mother, that you know nothing about.
    I felt it satisfying.
    Um. You know the way to argue against that would be to explain that I was wrong, and then put forward the actual reason you had those views. Which you did not.

My original reply to you in this thread, I don't believe I was aiming to make an argument, or prescribe anything, I believe I was merely expressing my sincere distaste for the view you put forward.
    I did put up two accepted pieces of information, unless you would like to throw them into dispute:
    I have opinions.
    You don't have direct experience of my mind.
    LOL this is one of the stupidest things I've read on here ever. So you think a valid way to respond to an argument is by saying 'no that's not what I think'

You don't think perhaps, that you should offer more than that?

I had hoped you'd be able to see how these put what you said to shame.
    *face palm*

The reason I ignored part of your post, because I didn't want to reply to it.
    You mean my argument. You didn't want to reply to my argument. Could that perhaps be that you could not refute it? You do not have the brains to do so?

I didn't see any point in doing so. Instead I prioritised what I took issue with.
    And I can't tell you what's in my head in a language that will fully communicate it, see the latter part of the first line in my first reply to you to see why.

If you would care to explain how I'm detached from reality?
    You think you are winning, depsite the fact that all you are doing is saying 'you are wrong'.

Keep up the failing, it seems to be all you're good at based on your posts in this thread.
    Ah, the classic response from someone who doesn't know how to win the argument, but wants convince himself he is. Accuse the other person of failing/being stupid yet not actually say why.

The thing is, that tactic may work at convincing yourself you have the upper hand - no one else is convinced. I am laughing at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    1)Um. You know the way to argue against that would be to explain that I was wrong, and then put forward the actual reason you had those views. Which you did not.

2)LOL this is one of the stupidest things I've read on here ever. So you think a valid way to respond to an argument is by saying 'no that's not what I think'

3)You don't think perhaps, that you should offer more than that?

4)*face palm*

5) You mean my argument. You didn't want to reply to my argument. Could that perhaps be that you could not refute it? You do not have the brains to do so?

6) You think you are winning, depsite the fact that all you are doing is saying 'you are wrong'.

7) Ah, the classic response from someone who doesn't know how to win the argument, but wants convince himself he is. Accuse the other person of failing/being stupid yet not actually say why.

8) The thing is, that tactic may work at convincing yourself you have the upper hand - no one else is convinced. I am laughing at you.
    I shall once again correct you point by point, but after this is you continue to go around like a bad record I will stop replying to your repetitive and irrational rantings.

1+2) I wasn't putting up an argument, mainly because I didn't feel about it. Please stop mixing up expressing emotion and putting forward an argument. They are very different things.
    For example:
    "abortion boo!"
    "I am against abortion for the following reasons, x, y, z"
    Are not the same speech acts.
    The former is an expression of distaste, and a perluctionary speech act.
    The latter is an example of an argument put forward, and holds a prescription/imperative, it is an illicutionary act.

3) I don't have an obligation to do so, although I might by the end of this post (depending on how I feel).

Edit: see 4 and 5.

4)

I can't believe all the people saying she 'overeacted'

I can conclude you either

a) do not love your mothers

b) haven't actually had a good think about what it would be like to have a mother with a brain tumour going in for surgery she could die from
    You haven't put up a valid argument here.
    There are no premises before the conclusions.
    A valid argument is such that if the premises are all true the conclusion can not be false.
    Furthermore as you haven't had direct experiences of my thoughts you can't tell if I love my mother or not by the looks of it (see 5) or how much of a good think about it I've had (again, see 5)

5) Whilst to you it appears it could be that it is not. It is simply because I felt that anyone with an ounce of intellect could tell that you've come to your opinions in an illogical manner.
    You haven't even bothered to define love or explain how it would be that the reader may not love their mothers.
    Nor have you said in your post how it is that it's the alleged quantity/quality of thinking that has lead someone to have such a view.

6) Winning for me would be you conceding and admitting that you were wrong.
    However it seems doubtful that you will.

7) You are continuing to fail though, and any rational observer capable of basic levels of critical thinking will be able to tell this.

8) I prefer the tactic of using logic, as you've hopefully begun to realise.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't really your fault but tell her that you are really sorry. Has it happened before whilst talking to her? Maybe in a few days, if she has forgiven you a bit, let her know that it has happened before and it is not anything to do with her, it was just late and you seem to fall asleep easily when you are tired.

But at the moment all she needs is support and just try to be there for her as much as possible to make up for it, cos she is obviously making a big deal out of it due to increased emotions and things.

Hope things turn out okay for her mum and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyoujin)
    Like I said it's happened before (again, kinda out of my control - fell asleep without prompt, same situation). I can't promise her it won't happen again because it's not something I'm doing on purpose. Any ideas on what you think could make something like this up to you?
    You have nothing to "make up" to her. I can understand her being upset when she didn't know what was going on and thought you may have just been ignoring her or whatever, but seriously once she found out what happened that should have been the end of it. She is understandably sensitive at this difficult time, but thats no excuse for being clearly unreasonable.

ReputationRep:
    I shall once again correct you point by point, but after this is you continue to go around like a bad record I will stop replying to your repetitive and irrational rantings.

1+2) I wasn't putting up an argument, mainly because I didn't feel about it. Please stop mixing up expressing emotion and putting forward an argument. They are very different things.
    For example:
    "abortion boo!"
    "I am against abortion for the following reasons, x, y, z"
    Are not the same speech acts.
    The former is an expression of distaste, and a perluctionary speech act.
    The latter is an example of an argument put forward, and holds a prescription/imperative, it is an illicutionary act.
    This example is bad, because you didn't say 'I disagree' you massively insulted me. You basically said 'you're stupid!' without backing it up.

4)You haven't put up a valid argument here.
    There are no premises before the conclusions.
    A valid argument is such that if the premises are all true the conclusion can not be false.
    Oh..My..God. the premises for the argument came after. Did you not read my post?

Furthermore as you haven't had direct experiences of my thoughts you can't tell if I love my mother or not by the looks of it (see 5) or how much of a good think about it I've had (again, see 5)

*See above*

5) Whilst to you it appears it could be that it is not. It is simply because I felt that anyone with an ounce of intellect could tell that you've come to your opinions in an illogical manner.
    You haven't even bothered to define love or explain how it would be that the reader may not love their mothers.
    Nor have you said in your post how it is that it's the alleged quantity/quality of thinking that has lead someone to have such a view.

*See above*

6) Winning for me would be you conceding and admitting that you were wrong.
    However it seems doubtful that you will.
    No. I am not wrong. You are so convinced of your superiority you are not engaged in what is going on here.

7) You are continuing to fail though, and any rational observer capable of basic levels of critical thinking will be able to tell this.
    Completely the opposite is the case, as I've said before, you are detached from reality *see above for reasons*

8) I prefer the tactic of using logic, as you've hopefully begun to realise.

Yes, the problem is you are of low intelligence and your logic is flawed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myself)

byebye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Really? Obviously he didn't do it on purpose, but it's not exactly unreasonable for her to be upset about about that.
    Yes it is! If he honestly had no control over it then its not his fault.

I've only read the first page and I can tell you what I would've done. I would've rang back straight away (a quick text before calling if too late in the night) to explain why I disappeared off the face of the planet for a bit. Then, offered to be with her the next day/ASAP to comfort her. She doesn't hate you, she hates the fact that you weren't there for a bit. The only way to make up for that is to be there for her x2 in the next few days/weeks, leading up to the op. It shows you actually give a damn about her mum, since that's what she thinks you're lacking. Giving her space would make her think you care even less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    I personally feel that people overreact to certain situations. Someone has slept on the phone while talking to me before. I doesn't really warrant the person being yelled at the follow day because of that. The only time I would be angry at someone for going to sleep while talking to me would be if I was about to die or something.

Then again, this was over MSN. She/he should've called the other person.
    Yeah, people have fallen asleep whilst on the phone to me before, but a) it was very late and b) we weren't talking about anything important. I think his girlfriend is taking it too far now, but I can see why she'd be pissed off and upset in the first place.

(Original post by Kyoujin)
    Yeah I was absolutely shattered, but I was trying to stay awake for her. I didn't want to say anything because I thought she might think "He's moaning about being tired when I have all this going on?!" So yeah.
    Yeah, I can see that would be a problem. It's a difficult situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Yeah, people have fallen asleep whilst on the phone to me before, but a) it was very late and b) we weren't talking about anything important. I think his girlfriend is taking it too far now, but I can see why she'd be pissed off and upset in the first place.

Yeah, I can see that would be a problem. It's a difficult situation
    Fair do's I guess I can agree with you about that part now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.