Turn on thread page Beta

do you care that Cadbury was bought out by Kraft? watch

ReputationRep:
    It was already American owned and Kraft have promised to invest in the UK, I fail to see what difference this makes apart from some people being layed off which is unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Bourneville - hence the name of their plain chocolate. :p:

I can't imagine that they'll change the branding, as much of the value of the company will be intrinsically linked to the brand rather than the physical assets of the company. While it is a shame to see 'traditional' British businesses losing their independence, I wouldn't expect there to be any immediate direct effect on us as consumers. There will, however, likely be a fairly significant centralisation of operations in the short-to-medium term, with a loss of various administrative jobs from the UK, unfortunately.
    Is it actually classed as chocolate now? I thought it has such little cocoa in it that the EU didn't classify it as such:confused:

ReputationRep:
    if jobs are lost and bournvielle's local economy is affected then yes i sympathize

ReputationRep:
    They're not gonna pay £11bn to then change the recipie of their best selling product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Is it actually classed as chocolate now? I thought it has such little cocoa in it that the EU didn't classify it as such:confused:
    That battle was about milk chocolate, not plain chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    I'll care if it damages the economy. I'll also care if they change the chocolate. US chocolate sucks big time

ReputationRep:
    I may just stock up on Cadbury's chocolate now so that I don't end up eating chocolate bars with 'a subsidiary of Kraft' on the back or something to that effect. What really annoys me is that RBS is helping to fund the takeover, which is 85% owned by the British taxpayer, so our money is being used to potentially put British people out of work :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Of course I care. Yet another one of our few remaining companies sold off. Cadburys had built up a brilliant reputation over the years, not only for its chocolate but its investment into the community and its generosity to its employees - all of this will be unravelled by Kraft - a company with a history for cutting jobs, who are massively in debt and had to loan 70% of the 11billlion they bought it for. But what do we care about community and employees and staple British products? We've got better things to care about like X-Factor and Jordan's new tosser of a boyfriend.

**** I hate this country sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    yes!! i wont buy any more cadbury. lindt ftw anyway

ReputationRep:
    No infact its a good thing.

Kraft is going to be able to streamline the distribution process and cut out wasteful jobs that arn't needed.

When the industrial revolution was taking place and huge numbers of workers were getting replaced with a machine, people were upset; but that machine is what now gives us such a good quality of life and allows the desendants of those people to enjoy a higher education.

Furthermore it was already a listed company, people whining about this company now being in foreign hands strengthens the case for mandatory economics lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Cadbury were my last shot at gluten free chocolate and now they'll probably change the recipe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I don't.

The UK has lots of other world-class companies in other industries. Is Vodafone a minnow in the global mobile telecommunications industry? What about HSBC in financial services? Glaxo SmithKline in pharmaceuticals?

I think it's just ****-swinging, and how people use Cadbury as an example of how big and bad the UK is. :rolleyes:
    You do realise it hasn't been bought out right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    Yes Cadbury were my last shot at gluten free chocolate and now they'll probably change the recipe.
    Why would they do that and lose customers like you?

ReputationRep:
    As long as it is chocolate, and it tastes the same, I don't care who or what bought it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dyrt18ft)
    Of course I care. Yet another one of our few remaining companies sold off. Cadburys had built up a brilliant reputation over the years, not only for its chocolate but its investment into the community and its generosity to its employees - all of this will be unravelled by Kraft - a company with a history for cutting jobs, who are massively in debt and had to loan 70% of the 11billlion they bought it for. But what do we care about community and employees and staple British products? We've got better things to care about like X-Factor and Jordan's new tosser of a boyfriend.

**** I hate this country sometimes.
    Lolz I like that you don't know the difference between loaning and borrowing :P

Sorry? Kraft don't invest in the community/its employees? I'm guessing you don't live in Banbury or Cheltenham then...?

I'm guessing you think Terrys Chocolate Oranges and Maxwell House are not British staples then?

You appear to know Jordan has a new bf and enough about him to call him a tosser, listen to Radio 4 more...

ReputationRep:
    sure i care... its like when my favourite friendly pimp who use to supply me with my hookers was KIA, and he got replaced by a cold, harsh.. mean pimp who took over his hookers

the merchandise is still the same i guess.. but things will never be the way they use to be.

ReputationRep:
    As long as the current workers don't lose their jobs, I couldn't care less. I hate this idea that we should care for British pride, it's a ******* chocolate bar.

ReputationRep:
    I do think the money could have been better put to use, but then from a business perspective, probably not so ignore that.

They've been trying to buy it for a while and I knew it'd happen eventually... it is sad in terms of the history of Cadbury, but if it'll be beneficial for it I don't see the problem. I just hope the bars stay the same and they don't change the name, cos I'll still be calling it Cadbury.

ReputationRep:
    I love how everyone moaning about Cadbury's being a British company neglected to mention that the previous director before getting bought out by Kraft was an American. Cadbury's being owned by an American company isn't going to make a jot of difference.

Cadbury's were already shipping jobs of to Poland before Kraft stepped in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    No, Roses have already become **** and I couldn't find a Cadbury advent calender anywhere this year which suggests they have or are phasing them out.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.