Turn on thread page Beta

do you care that Cadbury was bought out by Kraft? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    While it is a shame to see 'traditional' British businesses losing their independence
    Cadbury is not a privately owned company. How do they currently have independence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Why would they do that and lose customers like you?
    I don't know. But Mars did it a while back because it pissed off the veggies that there was animal fat in the bars, so they switched to vegetable oil (from wheat) Therefore all Mars, Galaxy etc was out for me

There's very little chocolate out there you GF, mostly because of factory conditions and not the actual recipe. If I lose Cadbury, it's Aero Bubbles forever!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)
    I just hope the bars stay the same and they don't change the name, cos I'll still be calling it Cadbury.
    Its called Cadbury globally so that wont arise, Dime and other things change because they were called different names in different countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CjT)
    No infact its a good thing.
    Kraft is going to be able to streamline the distribution process and cut out wasteful jobs that arn't needed.
    I'm afraid that this only benefits Kraft shareholders and only in the medium-long term. This does not mean that Cadbury was operating an inefficient business model before, just that it's business model was centred around Cadbury as an independent business not as a functional/market unit of a larger organisation. So, for the local and UK economy I fail to see how this is a good thing as it removes an independent, profitable business that provides jobs in all areas of its operations in the UK and replace it with a market unit of a larger, foreign organisation that will only provide certain jobs that are neccesary to ensure the operation of the market unit as part of the larger organisation. Of course, that's business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    I don't know. But Mars did it a while back because it pissed off the veggies that there was animal fat in the bars, so they switched to vegetable oil (from wheat) Therefore all Mars, Galaxy etc was out for me

There's very little chocolate out there you GF, mostly because of factory conditions and not the actual recipe. If I lose Cadbury, it's Aero Bubbles forever!!
    Aero Bubbles. :love:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, it still tastes the same... I personally prefer Galaxy anyways ^^.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    On the one hand I'm not bothered as the only Cadbury's product I ate was Double Decker, and the recipe won't change, so it won't really affect me. (All other Cadbury's chocolate was just awful.)

On the other hand, I'm saddened by the loss of yet another British company... but at the same time, I'm sure Kraft will make the right economic decisions to streamline the company, make it more efficient and more profitable, and we'll still get the products we know. I'd have preferred Hershey's to take them over, but they're unlikely to outbid Kraft.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's one less thing to be proud about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    I'm afraid that this only benefits Kraft shareholders and only in the medium-long term. This does not mean that Cadbury was operating an inefficient business model before, just that it's business model was centred around Cadbury as an independent business not as a functional/market unit of a larger organisation. So, for the local and UK economy I fail to see how this is a good thing as it removes an independent, profitable business that provides jobs in all areas of its operations in the UK and replace it with a market unit of a larger, foreign organisation that will only provide certain jobs that are neccesary to ensure the operation of the market unit as part of the larger organisation. Of course, that's business.
    The accounting side will obviously move to the US, but the supply chain management would be much harder to move, especially since a large chunk of production is based in the UK, and I'd be very suprised if that changed. But its not like those people won't become employed elsewhere.

On the other side there is a strong chance Kraft's chocolate R&D centre will move from Berlin to Bournville and be strengthened.

You're right though, its hard to see how its a benefit to the UK for a US firm to reduce its overhead margin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    I may just stock up on Cadbury's chocolate now so that I don't end up eating chocolate bars with 'a subsidiary of Kraft' on the back or something to that effect. What really annoys me is that RBS is helping to fund the takeover, which is 85% owned by the British taxpayer, so our money is being used to potentially put British people out of work :rolleyes:
    Indeed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautiful Nightmare)
    Well, it's one less thing to be proud about.
    Why would you be proud of a company you haven't worked for which is owned by millions of different enterties, of which your not one?

Are you proud of Diagio? Which is 2 and a half times bigger and in the same sector?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    On the one hand I'm not bothered as the only Cadbury's product I ate was Double Decker, and the recipe won't change, so it won't really affect me. (All other Cadbury's chocolate was just awful.)

On the other hand, I'm saddened by the loss of yet another British company... but at the same time, I'm sure Kraft will make the right economic decisions to streamline the company, make it more efficient and more profitable, and we'll still get the products we know. I'd have preferred Hershey's to take them over, but they're unlikely to outbid Kraft.
    Why would you prefer Hershey's which makes terrible chocolate to one who makes Tolberone and Terrys Chocolate Oranges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)

That "chocolate" must be the nastiest **** I've ever tasted :vomit:

It just leaves an oily film in your mouth :nah: not for me.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Nope, don't really care.

Let's look at some British multinationals that we frequently gloss over.

GSK - owns so many small foreign pharma firms it's insane
    BAe - bought out United Defence in the US several years ago, contracted out by the US government to do tons of work
    Arriva - owns substantial sectors of the European transport market
    First Group - bought out Greyhound buses in the US, substantial European operations
    Barclay's - owns Lehman Brothers, many other banks
    Shell - Anglo-Dutch, has taken over many smaller oil companies and energy firms since it's inception
    bp - same as Shell
    HSBC - largest bank in the world
    Rio Tinto - fourth largest mining conglomerate in the world, substantial operations in Australia, South Africa, South America

If you wanted proof that globalisation is bilateral - there you go. TBH, Cadbury's chocolate isn't that amazing, and Kraft would have wasted a £11bn investment if they changed the recipes and imploded their British subsidiary.

ReputationRep:
    Their logo is ugly. So yes

ReputationRep:
    Considering everything else that's going on in the world at the moment, I couldn't give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    First Group - bought out Greyhound buses in the US, substantial European operations
    TBH no-one would shed any tears if First Group was bought out by a foreign firm. Its a fine example of everything that is wrong with British business practice outside of London City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    first of all they haven't been bought out yet, the board of directors has just recommended that shareholders accept the bid
    secondly vodaphone has only been around for about 30 years, nothing compared to cadbury. HSBC is run mainly by the chinese, and GSK has hardly got a giant market share compared to US pharmaceuticals.

Cadbury's is the only major british chocolatier, that has been around for nearly 200 years and has been loved by the nation since it began. I don't know where you have got the idea that people think cadbury's is an example of how big and bad the UK is?
    Vodafone has only been around for 30 years but is already six times more sucessful. HSBC is run by the Chinese, Cadbury by Americans - whats the difference? Which US Pharma companies have a bigger global market share? Pfizer, and....? who?

ReputationRep:
    If the taste stays identical then I am not bothered!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Quady)
    Why would you prefer Hershey's which makes terrible chocolate to one who makes Tolberone and Terrys Chocolate Oranges
    It's all about Reese's. That's where it's at. :p:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.