Turn on thread page Beta

do you care that Cadbury was bought out by Kraft? watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Nope, don't really care.

Let's look at some British multinationals that we frequently gloss over.

GSK - owns so many small foreign pharma firms it's insane
    BAe - bought out United Defence in the US several years ago, contracted out by the US government to do tons of work
    Arriva - owns substantial sectors of the European transport market
    First Group - bought out Greyhound buses in the US, substantial European operations
    Barclay's - owns Lehman Brothers, many other banks
    Shell - Anglo-Dutch, has taken over many smaller oil companies and energy firms since it's inception
    bp - same as Shell
    HSBC - largest bank in the world
    Rio Tinto - fourth largest mining conglomerate in the world, substantial operations in Australia, South Africa, South America

If you wanted proof that globalisation is bilateral - there you go. TBH, Cadbury's chocolate isn't that amazing, and Kraft would have wasted a £11bn investment if they changed the recipes and imploded their British subsidiary.
    Don't forget Aviva, Britain's largest insurance company and the world's fifth.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So long as Galaxy tastes better than any Cadbury's chocolate - I don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    if my tasters taste any different...they will feel my wrath.... of chocoholic!

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't care less, to be honest.

The taste isn't going to change, so what's the big deal?

The only people who will care will be Nationalists, who are afraid that the chocolate will become less British, and therefore less good.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody Americans don't leave anything alone *rrraaaggggeee*

ReputationRep:
    Who cares about those companies? This is chocolate! :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I will if they change the recipe!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaspberryJelly)
    I care, because Cadbury tried to resist the takeover - not cool, Kraft.
    This.

Plus, I'm worried for the future of my beloved chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    I dont even know why people moan about jobs. Unless its the Government moving jobs to another country, no one can complain.
    A company has no loyalties and sole focus is to make profit for his shareholders, nothing more.
    People in the UK seem to think they should have a given right to having a job. NO! It doesnt work like that!
    You give a job to those who are most capable and cost effective. If you dont want to do that, you shut off all borders from outside influence. Cant have your cake and eat it.

Reality is that UK wages are relatively too high, compared to most parts of the world, so companies will move to reduce their massive wage bills in many cases to a fraction of that, hence making bigger profits. If you want to keep a job, you cut wages to be competitive.

Tbh a prolonged period of high unemployment and shortage of jobs will force wages down and prices of goods/services will fall generally (as they compete to get customers) and eventually you move back to an equilibrium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    I dont even know why people moan about jobs. Unless its the Government moving jobs to another country, no one can complain.
    A company has no loyalties and sole focus is to make profit for his shareholders, nothing more.
    People in the UK seem to think they should have a given right to having a job. NO! It doesnt work like that!
    You give a job to those who are most capable and cost effective. If you dont want to do that, you shut off all borders from outside influence. Cant have your cake and eat it.

Reality is that UK wages are relatively too high, compared to most parts of the world, so companies will move to reduce their massive wage bills in many cases to a fraction of that, hence making bigger profits. If you want to keep a job, you cut wages to be competitive.

Tbh a prolonged period of high unemployment and shortage of jobs will force wages down and prices of goods/services will fall generally (as they compete to get customers) and eventually you move back to an equilibrium.
    Thats true, but wages are high for a reason, the country's infrastructure allows the level of wages. You can't make Chocolate in the Sudan because of the climate and there is a premium paid to get workers in a temerate part of the world. Companies don't want to try and have operations in Pakistan because of the political unrest, a premium is paid to get workers where the government is stable. etc...

Wages aren't too high, they are the market rate to get the most efficient outcome for the company. They aren't even high compared to Krafts main chocolate division in Berlin. I wouldn't be suprised if jobs some moved to the UK tbh

I don't think anyone on the thread was saying Kraft was doing the wrong thing or that it would be the wrong thing for Kraft to move jobs out the UK. They were saying it would be bad for the UK if they did and it would be bad for Kraft if they did anything that messed up the product quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kätzchen)
    This.
    No, they resisted the first offer which didn't give good shareholder value.

They recommened the revised offer.

If you were buying a house and made an offer that was rejected because it was too low, then one that was accepted would that mean the deal wasn't good for all parties and shouldn't be allowed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Thats true, but wages are high for a reason, the country's infrastructure allows the level of wages. You can't make Chocolate in the Sudan because of the climate and there is a premium paid to get workers in a temerate part of the world. Companies don't want to try and have operations in Pakistan because of the political unrest, a premium is paid to get workers where the government is stable. etc...

Wages aren't too high, they are the market rate to get the most efficient outcome for the company. They aren't even high compared to Krafts main chocolate division in Berlin. I wouldn't be suprised if jobs some moved to the UK tbh

I don't think anyone on the thread was saying Kraft was doing the wrong thing or that it would be the wrong thing for Kraft to move jobs out the UK. They were saying it would be bad for the UK if they did and it would be bad for Kraft if they did anything that messed up the product quality.
    Plenty of other places to move such as India or other parts of South East Asian, perhaps even South America in the future. Reality is that many companies are shifting operations in a bid to cut cost and that primarily comes from lower wages.

For example many call centres, the automobile industry has moved away from the UK etc

You get plenty of people who mix bad/wrong together and brand any company which wants to cut jobs or more elsewhere as evil :woo:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Quady)
    This is very unlikely. Germany has a much higher level of employment law restriction making it far more hassle to pull out of a country or move jobs abroad, even within the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    Plenty of other places to move such as India or other parts of South East Asian, perhaps even South America in the future. Reality is that many companies are shifting operations in a bid to cut cost and that primarily comes from lower wages.

For example many call centres, the automobile industry has moved away from the UK etc

You get plenty of people who mix bad/wrong together and brand any company which wants to cut jobs or more elsewhere as evil :woo:
    I don't disagree it'll happen where appropriate over time. Just pointing out that wages are not 'too high', otherwise they would have been lowered already. The recession has shown how quickly this adustment can be made.

btw car production peaked in 1972 at 1.9m cars/year
    the low was in 1982 with 900k/year
    in march 2009 (the low for car production during the recession) an annualised rate of 700k/year, but that was 51% down year-on-year.
    In '08 1.5 cars were made. Its not great but the car industry certainly hasn't moved from the UK in the last 30 years.

I've heard some anacdotal stuff suggesting call centres are relocating back to the UK to improve customer service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Vodafone has only been around for 30 years but is already six times more sucessful. HSBC is run by the Chinese, Cadbury by Americans - whats the difference? Which US Pharma companies have a bigger global market share? Pfizer, and....? who?
    So? its in a far more lucrative industry. What I meant is HSBC is a chinese company. GSK has a small global market share, its less than 10% ffs. Greedy, selfish ****.

ReputationRep:
    does everyone agree that the chocolates in the uk taste like pig swill?

ReputationRep:
    Well Cadbury bought out Green & Blacks but they run it as a separate division, if Kraft interfere with Green & Blacks then I will care, as I don't eat any Cadburys branded crap

ReputationRep:
    As long as the taste, branding etc doesn't change, I'm not too bothered.

ReputationRep:
    As long as they stil make chocolate...

ReputationRep:
    I'm most concerned about the Bournville Estates that Cadbury have been looking after. It's a gorgeous area of Birmingham, and I'm hoping they're not now going to sell out to recoup funds.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.