Turn on thread page Beta

do you care that Cadbury was bought out by Kraft? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    So? its in a far more lucrative industry. What I meant is HSBC is a chinese company. GSK has a small global market share, its less than 10% ffs. Greedy, selfish ****.
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...lips-away.html

Cadbury has a 10.2% market share in confectionary as opposed to 9% for GSK in Pharma, not earth shatteringly different...

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I don't like Cadbury's that much anyway. The Dairy Milk hurts my teeth :mad:

ReputationRep:
    as long as it tastes the same, i'm good.
    and if not, we always have galaxyyy <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...lips-away.html

Cadbury has a 10.2% market share in confectionary as opposed to 9% for GSK in Pharma, not earth shatteringly different...
    Thats globally. We're talking about england for cadbury's here in case you haven't noticed.

ReputationRep:
    cadburys tastes like pigswill. discuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyPyramid)
    A bit, I heard there will be big bonuses for the guys at the top involved with the deal and..... many job cuts for those at the bottom!

Plus you know, it was nice having it English and all.
    it was british not english, hate people who say things from the uk are "english"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriela08)
    The UK barely have any other industries- all they have left really are banks. Its mainly centered around the 'british identity'. But, I don't care neither.
    very few leading british banks even! cadbury is (was?) the only british confectioner to remain. british are getting taken over by the americans...big time..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    as long as they don't screw with the recipe then I'll still buy it, but its a shame they were brought out by the yanks (who borrowed the money in the first place)

ReputationRep:
    Im really annoyed its like nothing is english anymore, i mean most of britts seem to complain that nothing is english anymore and then have no back bone to defend our last orignal peice of england,

i only bothered as soon as they touched our CHOCOLATES!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    Thats globally. We're talking about england for cadbury's here in case you haven't noticed.
    I hadn't noticed because you said GSK has a small GLOBAL market share. You made it gobal, not me

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    The less successful the British capitalist class is the weaker the influence these parasites wield in the corridors of power. I'm largely ambivalent. When all the profits go overseas people might have a rethink about their globalist economic agenda and begin to appreciate that the fruits of society belong to society. Kraft are welcome to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YerMah)
    it was british not english, hate people who say things from the uk are "english"
    I HATE PEOPLE WHO SAY THINGS FORM ENGLAND AREN'T ENGLISH!!!!!
    CADBURYS IS A GREAT ENGLISH BRAND

ReputationRep:
    :O :O :O Cadbury was bought by Kraft :O

naaa i dont care it will still taste good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    I dont even know why people moan about jobs. Unless its the Government moving jobs to another country, no one can complain.
    A company has no loyalties and sole focus is to make profit for his shareholders, nothing more.
    People in the UK seem to think they should have a given right to having a job. NO! It doesnt work like that!
    You give a job to those who are most capable and cost effective. If you dont want to do that, you shut off all borders from outside influence. Cant have your cake and eat it.
    Actually, these are just ideas. It is up to the people to decide how we conduct our economic relations. It is not a question of "it doesn't work like that" and "no one can complain" - it is society that decides how we govern our economic relations - and society can change the rules at it pleases.

This idea of companies having no loyalties is so outdated. Companies should serve the people and act as a vehicle to bring together labour. That they should serve just to enrich a few is one idea - but there are many other ideas on how to run companies and who is rewarded by their success.

You should stop portraying one crazy, mad, out of control system as a factual truth. It isn't.

So many ways to organise our society. You must suffer from a poverty of the imagination to take such a dogmatic approach to social relations.

ReputationRep:
    It is actually based in England. Much in the same way the highlands are Scottish and not British. I hate it when people try to claim English achievements as their own under a banner of "British" yet try to insist anything in Scotland is Scottish and not British. Double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    It is actually based in England. Much in the same way the highlands are Scottish and not British. I hate it when people try to claim English achievements as their own under a banner of "British" yet try to insist anything in Scotland is Scottish and not British. Double standards.
    you could say that about anything though. it is a company who pays tax to the uk so its british.

ReputationRep:
    you could say that about anything though. it is a company who pays tax to the uk so its british.
    No because some companies may have substantial presence in several parts of the UK - which would make it British. Being concentrated in England, makes it English - not British. It would be British if it had big bases in another country in the UK aside from England. Otherwise according to your logic, Famous Grouse is a British [Irish, Welsh, English and Scottish] company rather then a Scottish company. Anyone with an iota of common sense could see the flaw here.

ReputationRep:
    Well the Cadbury factory is located in Bournville, which is just outside Birmingham, so I think we can call it English. But of course you're right, it's British as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Actually, these are just ideas. It is up to the people to decide how we conduct our economic relations. It is not a question of "it doesn't work like that" and "no one can complain" - it is society that decides how we govern our economic relations - and society can change the rules at it pleases.

This idea of companies having no loyalties is so outdated. Companies should serve the people and act as a vehicle to bring together labour. That they should serve just to enrich a few is one idea - but there are many other ideas on how to run companies and who is rewarded by their success.

You should stop portraying one crazy, mad, out of control system as a factual truth. It isn't.

So many ways to organise our society. You must suffer from a poverty of the imagination to take such a dogmatic approach to social relations.
    Of course its up to people but realistically, most people are inherently selfish. Same way as those who think their jobs should be there for them, are being selfish for themselves, others thinking jobs should remain in the UK being selfish for their own economy and thus the shareholders being selfish and wanting higher profit margins so better dividends and share value.

Especially so with the current economic climate, those companies which arent ruthless whether in chasing profit or striving to keep brand loyalty eg through lower prices or quality - well I'd be surprised to see many being rewarded by trying to keep their current employees happy by maintaining a higher than necessary wage bill.

While society may have some influence, it is those individuals who decide what to do. The current example of Kraft. Massive debts.
    The shareholders of Cadbury, if they wanted to "benefit society" they wouldnt consider the bid, but as the offer is high enough in monetary value, most will probably sell up for themselves, rather than retain to keep "British jobs".
    Kraft will be ruthless in trying to maintain the quality + brand but will cut the costs to make profit - they're in too much debt to not focus on profits.

Lol no real need to insult my "imagination". Tbh I dont care about the British person next to me. As far as im concerned, he's just one other person in the world, like the millions out there without jobs/in actual poverty rather than relative poverty. The only difference is the British man is within the national territory but in the modern day, we live in a truly global world, where the jobless man in Portsmouth may be 6 hours drive away but the man in Poland is only 6 hours air travel away.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.