Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Car Rental in USA watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutely desperate to rent a car in the USA but the whole age limit thing is driving me mental. I'm only 19 although I'll be 20 at the time of driving and have been driving for almost 3 years. Is it impossible to rent a car in the US?

Ideal situation would be getting a wreck from somewhere cheap and just being able to drive it around the southern states. I've heard about rent-a-wreck but somebody said that it had gone out of business? Or is this just one particular branch?

I've also heard that Michigan and New York rent to under 21s. Do they rent with insurance or do you have to provide that? Rent-a-wreck rent with insurance right?

If it's impossible to rent something I was thinking of just buying a wreck when we're out there and driving that about. Is it possible/not ridiculously expensive to insure yourself in America for a couple of weeks? How would one even go about doing that?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shebelongs)
    I'm absolutely desperate to rent a car in the USA but the whole age limit thing is driving me mental. I'm only 19 although I'll be 20 at the time of driving and have been driving for almost 3 years. Is it impossible to rent a car in the US?

Ideal situation would be getting a wreck from somewhere cheap and just being able to drive it around the southern states. I've heard about rent-a-wreck but somebody said that it had gone out of business? Or is this just one particular branch?

I've also heard that Michigan and New York rent to under 21s. Do they rent with insurance or do you have to provide that? Rent-a-wreck rent with insurance right?

If it's impossible to rent something I was thinking of just buying a wreck when we're out there and driving that about. Is it possible/not ridiculously expensive to insure yourself in America for a couple of weeks? How would one even go about doing that?

Thanks in advance.
    I would say it is pretty impossible.. unless you can find one of those "alley way" dodgy rental places.

On your car purchase, I'm not going to go into too much detail.... just seriously don't bother for 2 weeks. Even if you could be bothered to go through the hassle, you will probably find it very difficult to find an insurance provider that will insure you without a US license. Even if you could... your premiums would be sky high.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.