Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've decided that I want to become an H.E teacher, I've looked up the courses and know where I can apply to. The only problem is that I'm not sure my degree is suitable. Im doing a BSc Hons in Physiology, Sports Science and Nutrition. The entire Honours year is in Nutrition. Does anyone have any insight into this? Any idea? I'm only in first year, so I don't have to worry about it just yet, I'd just like to know if it's out of the picture.

ReputationRep:
    Does Home Economics exist as a subject anymore? It didn't in my secondary school...

The problem is that cookery and so on have been deemed a technology - Food Tech - which means it's all about designing products, drawing the packaging, and so on, and you can easily get through a GCSE without cooking more than a couple of actual meals, but having redesigned a particular cake 3 times! (I didn't do the GCSE, but this was my impression from the lower years, and my brother did GCSE and moaned about this kind of thing a lot). I think we could really do with replacing Food Tech with something more like Home Economics, so people learn to cook actual meals.

Maybe some schools do still do it, but I don't think many do - I've only ever heard of Home Economics in books, and from my mum, who was at school in the 70s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keziah)
    Does Home Economics exist as a subject anymore? It didn't in my secondary school...

The problem is that cookery and so on have been deemed a technology - Food Tech - which means it's all about designing products, drawing the packaging, and so on, and you can easily get through a GCSE without cooking more than a couple of actual meals, but having redesigned a particular cake 3 times! (I didn't do the GCSE, but this was my impression from the lower years, and my brother did GCSE and moaned about this kind of thing a lot). I think we could really do with replacing Food Tech with something more like Home Economics, so people learn to cook actual meals.

Maybe some schools do still do it, but I don't think many do - I've only ever heard of Home Economics in books, and from my mum, who was at school in the 70s.

On all the PGDE websites it's listed as Home Economics, which is why I referred to it as that. I know all the about the subjects and it's background having done a standard grade in Food and Consumer Technology and a Higher in Health and Food Technology; Consumer Studies. The subject that you speak of which requires you to learn to cook 3 course meals is called Hospitality.

Also in Scotland (where I am) it seems the syllabus is different, at Standard Grade level it is approx 1/3 cooking, 2/3 theory, you cook at least once a week.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.