Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically in August when I got my GCSE results back I had the Bs and Cs to get on the courses I wanted with the exception of English (D at higher)so I planned to take English and get a job until the summer at which point I would have the English GCSE and could do the courses, however my mum stepped in and forced me to attend a first diploma for the year to ensure that I stayed in full time education as she was worried about me getting used to the regular paypacket and not going back to college... I agreed to do it for her sake and started the course.

First week or so, yeah pretty fun, whole new scene with new people to meet, but the course is so ****ing boring, add to that the fact that I have all the qualifications I need to get on the A levels I want after which the GCSEs will be useless when applying to University, and it equals someone completely lacking motivation, and when I'm not motivated I don't work to my potential, if it wasn't for the fact I've met some great lads on the course I'd have quit already.

Anyhow, I'm thinking that now is the time to quit, I'm not working hard enough and at the rate I'm working I'll be lucky to get a merit, let alone the distinction I targeted, my attendance is below 70% and I've got a backlog of assignments due to the lack of effort and attendance that I mentioned. Is it worth sticking it out and finishing the course for the sake of a few GCSEs that I don't need? Plus I have so many things I need to save up money for atm, top of the list being insurance for the car. On the other hand, my mum will kill me if I quit the course, and I'll be potless until I find a job as the child allowance she gets pays for my pocket money and she told me I wouldn't get the pocket money if I left college for the year.

Anyway, what do the boffins of TSR think I should do?

ReputationRep:
    Mate, i was in a simular position, zero work ethic, zero interest. But i had a good think and decided to work hard, get good grades and eventually go to uni and it'll be one of the most significant, fun and educational experiences of your life. you'll meet fantastic new people, have an amazing time, get some independance, its well worth it. As long as you can maintain that effort in uni and not fall at that herdal(spelling?). I'm pretty useless with advise, but i hope that helped. Just dont quit, work harder and persist, it's all for the great good.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'll still be working towards that, once I have the English GCSE C I'll be onto the A Levels I want to do and then University, when I'm interested in something I'm the hardest worker in the world, when I'm not it's a waste of time me being there because I simply don't work to my potential

ReputationRep:
    yeah, sorry i should have read it more thoroughly. But i still maintain we're quite alike. I took a year out to work and move out, i loved having the money, whilst doing this i was supposed to be doing a distance leaning course to finish my last A Level, but i found myself having so much fun, i didnt get anything done. So i realised a year out was a massive mistake and i should have listened to my parents (but who does in their teens). I think we're the same in that, i know im clever if i put my mind to it i could do very well acedemicly, i (as do you) just laclk the motvation. I'm saying, work hard to find it, sacrifice a part of your social life, this is what i plan to do. im just getting a bit fed up with myself underachieving and not being as motivated a i can, again, i babled, i hope you can desyfer some sense from that rant. haha i really am no help!

ReputationRep:
    hmm, I can see your point but I just feel that I'm wasting time that could be better spent elsewhere, even if it's not a job that I get between now and September, just taking a short break from education, besides my mums a dragon when it comes to my education, even if I didn't want to go back after the break I wouldn't have a choice

ReputationRep:
    im just thinking the same thing about my uni course, im soo demotivated and have exams now... due to family pressure and a lot of people relying on me and thinking im a genius... i dont think i can quit uni, and even if i was to i dnt know what the hell id do with my life if i wasnt at uni.. so im sticking at it just for the sake of sticking at it.... im hoping the motivation and the rewards will come soon enough... maybe you should do the same

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.