Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    'All men are born equal' - Not only thinly veiled sexism, but a fundamentally flawed fallacy. A fallacy which built the modern developed world.

Everybody knows that this is a lie, an ideological human creation, that does not even exist in our minds. You meet people and you subconsciously, or perhaps consciously for some, judge them and subsequently place them in the appropriate strata of our shared hierarchy. We label them according to race, class, intelligence, attractiveness etc. So we may put them in their place.

We perpectuate this pretense of equality only to satisfy our self declared moral superiority over our animal counterparts. Morality is a luxury that is soon forgotten in times of desperation. We are nothing but pretentious beasts, denying our very nature, in the interest of our self importance.

We can now all vote, regardless of all labels. The vote transcends race, breed, creed, intellect, age, gender and class. Those we vote for however, remain an elite society, the 'political class'. They tell us we are all equal, while they wallow in the miasma our their own self importance.

How many descendants of immigrant dinner ladies have trodden the floors of the houses of parliament, in a context other than that of the wandering tourist or humble cleaner, I wonder. If we are all equal, why do the same aristocratic families dominate our leadership? David Cameron is descended from royalty and he will soon rule great Britain, just as his ancestors did before him.

The laws of nature shaped us and they did not make us equal. Nature has no agenda, no intention and no morality. The rules are simple, the strong survive while the weak die. Survival requires no selflessness and no equality, thus no such selflessness or equality exists. We are animals and it's time we stopped denying our nature.

ReputationRep:
    Amen

ReputationRep:
    Alright, so what do you propose?

So you want us to start throwing poo?

ReputationRep:
    We are all born equal, it's what we do in our lives that shapes us and causes inequalities between classes, but this won't stop, not as long as people live and breathe upon this earth. Most people will always strive to do better.

As for the quote that you are ridiculing in your post, OP, it's from a bygone era.

ReputationRep:
    Good post if a little incentric. However.

Prejudice dates back to a time when we lived in the stone age and feared other tribes who would raid us and steal our resources. In a way it was justified because it gave us fear and this fear protected us.

In the 21st Century we are logical enough creatures. Racism / Prejudice does mean labelling but eventually this will die as our society becomes more educated and mixed marriages take over.

Therefore your arguement that we should stop "denying our nature" is inaccurate. Our "nature" is no longer relevant to the times we live in and as a species we need to adapt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    Alright, so what do you propose?
    What Steve Hsu says:

Finally, it is important to note that group differences are statistical in nature and do not imply anything about particular individuals. Rather than rely on the scientifically unsupported claim that we are all equal, it would be better to emphasize that we all have inalienable human rights regardless of our abilities or genetic makeup.
    http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2007/01...nomes-and.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    'All men are born equal' - Not only thinly veiled sexism, but a fundamentally flawed fallacy. A fallacy which built the modern developed world.

Everybody knows that this is a lie, an ideological human creation, that does not even exist in our minds. You meet people and you subconsciously, or perhaps consciously for some, judge them and subsequently place them in the appropriate strata of our shared hierarchy. We label them according to race, class, intelligence, attractiveness etc. So we may put them in their place.

We perpectuate this pretense of equality only to satisfy our self declared moral superiority over our animal counterparts. Morality is a luxury that is soon forgotten in times of desperation. We are nothing but pretentious beasts, denying our very nature, in the interest of our self importance.

We can now all vote, regardless of all labels. The vote transcends race, breed, creed, intellect, age, gender and class. Those we vote for however, remain an elite society, the 'political class'. They tell us we are all equal, while they wallow in the miasma our their own self importance.

How many descendants of immigrant dinner ladies have trodden the floors of the houses of parliament, in a context other than that of the wandering tourist or humble cleaner, I wonder. If we are all equal, why do the same aristocratic families dominate our leadership? David Cameron is descended from royalty and he will soon rule great Britain, just as his ancestors did before him.

The laws of nature shaped us and they did not make us equal. Nature has no agenda, no intention and no morality. The rules are simple, the strong survive while the weak die. Survival requires no selflessness and no equality, thus no such selflessness or equality exists. We are animals and it's time we stopped denying our nature.
    Depends what you mean by equal. We are born into society and not in a state of nature so that argument is flawed.

ReputationRep:
    We are animals and it's time we stopped denying our nature.
    One of the problems is confusing equality under law with biological equality. This then leads people to infer that unequal outcomes must be due to unequal opportunity. So you hear about underrepresented groups etc and the need for social engineering to fix this. However, there is no reason to expect equal outcomes even with equal opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, alright! I didn't know. Thanks for alerting me to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrellahead)
    Oh, alright! I didn't know. Thanks for alerting me to this.
    New ammo huh lol

ReputationRep:
    Too bloody right

ReputationRep:
    tldr

ReputationRep:
    Yet more eugenics crap.

When have we ever pretended all people are equal? People are more intelligent than others, as you've already stated. This is an accepted fact. Your post seems to be an attempt to fool the reader into thinking equal opportunities for people are the same as an equal society and therefore flawed - they're not. If everyone gets given the same oppurtunities then the clever and talented can "succeed" and the less so work the menial jobs etc and not just the rich, and priveleged succeed whilst the people from poorer backgrounds inevitably fail.

If we are all equal, why do the same aristocratic families dominate our leadership? David Cameron is descended from royalty and he will soon rule great Britain, just as his ancestors did before him.
    Because he was born into it and given the opportunities few else get?

ReputationRep:
    Don't really understand what's going on here. No people are not all equal, some people are more intelligent/more courageous/more selfless/more hard working than others. Clearly these people are superior.

However, we are not born into equal situations. Saying that the reason working class people are less likely to become politicians than middle class people is down to their inherent genetic inferiority is batsht crazy. There may well be a small genetic difference, but most of the difference in success is due to middle class people having an easier ride. No rational person could deny that.

ReputationRep:
    “Equality is a chain, like obedience. Like fear or uncertainty or self doubt.”

ReputationRep:
    You're the opposite of Martin Luther King, Jr. Pretty whack

ReputationRep:
    This isn't going to be one of your joke threads is it?

Boy who cried wolf and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Define 'equal'. :p:

Equality in station? Equality in social or academic talent? Equality in sensory perception, in happiness, in physical or mental states?

Although humanity in general has been trying for ages to define measurement systems for every property under the sun (and many more besides), everything is still essentially analogue for the purposes of your argument. You cannot say things are 'equal' without either biasing your views via personal perspective, or providing the ultimate measurement scale for equality against which you may prove undeniably that there exists one person in the world whose level of 'equality' does not match that of another. However, I'd say that the latter option is an impossibility.

Personally, I'd say that everyone (and, if such terminology is more familiar to you, everything) is equal, regardless of age, gender, species, race, class, size, and whatever else could possibly be discriminated against - that is to say, any attribute. I stick to it. That's my belief, and as such it is a part of my world. From my perspective, then, the issue of egalitarianism is a solved problem, and I can get on with my life.

Make what you will of this. I'm bored. :flybye:

ReputationRep:
    The people who succeed most in life are the ones who strike the correct balance between what nature and society wants of them (as these two usually oppose; the only criteria they seem to have in common is confidence).

No we're not all equal, nobody sees themselves and everyone else as being equal. I generally agree with the OP, everyone judges, we are all on a hierarchy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.