Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys!

I'm a Canadian looking forward to apply at Cambridge University in a few years. I'm currently studying in grade 11 and over here (Quebec, Montreal), our high school ends this year and then we move on to CEGEP (2 years of post-secondary education). I will be most likely doing the IB full diploma program for the next 2 years.

So my question is, what exactly do they look at? I mean, do they look at your high school grades (grade 9-11) or your CEGEP transcript (IB grades)?

I also have been diagnosed with several mood disorders. Do you think this will affect my admission? A friend of mine said it'd be better not to mention about it...but I had a downfall in my 10th grade and performed relatively poorly at school, although my 9th grades were excellent and I'm expecting to do well this year as well. Do you think it will hurt my admission chances if I explain my issues (in a essay) and how I dealt with them...?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leptons)
    Hello guys!

I'm a Canadian looking forward to apply at Cambridge University in a few years. I'm currently studying in grade 11 and over here (Quebec, Montreal), our high school ends this year and then we move on to CEGEP (2 years of post-secondary education). I will be most likely doing the IB full diploma program for the next 2 years.

So my question is, what exactly do they look at? I mean, do they look at your high school grades (grade 9-11) or your CEGEP transcript (IB grades)?

I also have been diagnosed with several mood disorders. Do you think this will affect my admission? A friend of mine said it'd be better not to mention about it...but I had a downfall in my 10th grade and performed relatively poorly at school, although my 9th grades were excellent and I'm expecting to do well this year as well. Do you think it will hurt my admission chances if I explain my issues (in a essay) and how I dealt with them...?

Thanks!
    They probably won't pay much attention to your 10th grade marks although you will have to submit them along with your 11th grade marks. You will probably not have enough space to declare your 9th grade marks on UCAS/Cambridge Overseas Supp. Application. Although they will still be sent since it's on your transcript, no emphasis will be placed on them either.

Mostly they look at your predicted IB grades and if you get an offer, it will be an IB requirement [ie. 40 points HL 7,7,6].

Selon moi, je ne pense pas que tu doives parler de ses troubles de l'humeur.

ReputationRep:
    aren't grade 10 grades equivilent to GCSEs, though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowshine)
    aren't grade 10 grades equivilent to GCSEs, though?
    There isn't really a Canadian equivalent for GCSEs since the grades given out aren't even standard/regulated by standardized testing...In her case, the best equivalent I guess would be her grade 11 marks because she studies in Quebec and there are 13 grades there. But seriously Cambridge doesn't care about non-standardised grades from 2 years ago; they'd much rather focus on your most recent marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ylem)
    Calligraphy?...how do you know that?
    She says she's on a year abroad at Mcmaster. McMaster is a Canadian university. Like she's living there temporarily, I meant.

ReputationRep:
    jenna109 and Calligraphy: Thank you for your replies. So it's safe to assume that they will simply pay more attention to my 11th and 12th year grades, as well as the predicted IB scores? Also, will they be looking at the last term's grades for each year or the whole year in general?

Oh and I'm surprised that mentioning any disability (or mood disorders) would reduce my admission chances...I'll definitely not mention about it then.

Thanks once again! =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calligraphy)
    ignore the idiot above. good luck with your application - i'm currently on my year abroad at mcmaster, loving canada enjoy your time in the uk. (sorry for being the least helpful post ever!)
    Thanks a lot! I'm glad your enjoying Canada! =)

ReputationRep:
    Well? (repeating what I said earlier)

So it's safe to assume that they will simply pay more attention to my 11th and 12th year grades, as well as the predicted IB scores? Also, will they be looking at my last semester's grades for each year or the whole year in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leptons)
    Well? (repeating what I said earlier)

So it's safe to assume that they will simply pay more attention to my 11th and 12th year grades, as well as the predicted IB scores? Also, will they be looking at my last semester's grades for each year or the whole year in general?
    Cambridge will only look at the grades for the whole year.
    I just realized a lot of posts on this thread got deleted. Wow.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.