Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

60's clothes - what to do with lots of them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    my gran has offered me all her clothes from when she was in her late teens and twenties which was the 1960's. she has kept loads and was clearly quite a fashionable trendy person (go gran!).

thing is I dont know what to do with them. do i keep them (talking a wardrobe full) do i wear some of them (could be interetsed in some but to be honest not really me) do i sell some (are they sought after and sellable).

i'm a bit stuck as i dont want to offend gran. On the otherhand mum is saying she's doesnt want them at our house becuase of the space.

ReputationRep:
    charity shop?

ReputationRep:
    Ebay, they can sell for quite a bit.
    Or just give them to me.
    =P

ReputationRep:
    If they do take up a lot of space, then it's probably best to sell them. A lot of people love 60s clothes, so you can quite easily make some money. Or give them away to a charity shop.

ReputationRep:
    hey pennyhen... im a trainee fashionista and i know there is 97% chance that by summer/fall time the 50s and 60s clothing will come back into fashion... so my advise would be to keep the clothes on the side for now and by the time summer/fall comes around wear them then but add a few hints of modern couture (belts accesories etc.)... oh n btw, if you decide to keep them by summer/fall time you would be the most fashionable one out of all your friends, and you will have some genuine 'vintage' couture...

ReputationRep:
    Ohmygod I hate you. D: I want a wardrobe full of 60s clothes! If you don't think you're going to wear them, though, you can probably sell them quite easily - there are a lot of people who love vintage clothing, and stores that specialize in finding and selling nice vintage clothes. If there are any such stores in your area, you could approach them and ask them about selling your stash, or even find someone online - if not, both ebay and etsy are nice options. And hey, if they're pretty and in my size, I'd happily buy some. xD So I s'pose my advice would be to keep the ones you can see yourself wearing, and sell the rest. No sense in keeping a bunch of clothes just so they can gather dust in your closet!

@_B_N_ Oh, that is great news. I'm really not too fussed about wearing what is "fashionable" (style over fashion, I say), but trends do dictate what I can find in mainstream stores, and I love, love, love 50s and (early) 60s-style clothing. Huzzah!

ReputationRep:
    Where abouts in the UK are you? I'll happily take them off your hands for you!

ReputationRep:
    Put them on ebay and I'll have a gander

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes eBay them. I want this grandmother

ReputationRep:
    you can so a rummage for that. or you can wear them in a costume party with the theme of 60's fashion, LOL

ReputationRep:
    eBay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pennyhen)
    my gran has offered me all her clothes from when she was in her late teens and twenties which was the 1960's. she has kept loads and was clearly quite a fashionable trendy person (go gran!).

thing is I dont know what to do with them. do i keep them (talking a wardrobe full) do i wear some of them (could be interetsed in some but to be honest not really me) do i sell some (are they sought after and sellable).

i'm a bit stuck as i dont want to offend gran. On the otherhand mum is saying she's doesnt want them at our house becuase of the space.
    You can give me those clothes!

But seriously, eBay is the best option

Could you store some in a suitcase in your attic whilst keeping those which you would wear in your wardrobe? You could then alternate them every few months unless there's some which you would never ever wear in which case sell them on and buy your gran a nice gift with some of the money.

ReputationRep:
    If you put them on ebay, link please

ReputationRep:
    Ask your Grans permission and sell them on eBay.

Then take your nanna out someplace fancy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.