Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am trying hard in Y11 to upgrade my maths after not paying much attention for the previous years. so I studied a lot on 'mymaths'' and did 3 practice AQA papers at home and got A each time. But in my mock at school I got a C. gutted. :confused: 3 marks off a B, lost loads of marks on basic maths mistakes, and found the shape section hard.
    I feel disheartened at this point.
    So ... if I work like crazy can I get the A/A* I need, or do you think some people 'just cant get it' with maths?! :o:

ReputationRep:
    By basic mistakes do you mean number mistakes?

You need to work on your exam technique. Check your work at the end.

Practise doing shape questions too. You can post the quesitons in here if you like and people could explain it to you in different ways. Perhaps the way your teacher is teaching it isn't working for you?

I think at gcse level you should be able to get with some work .

ReputationRep:
    i reckon you can easily get an A/A*

get every single maths past paper you can find, if there aren't that many then go for other boards which cover similar stuff.

then literally do them all, mark them all, but be harsh. learn what the examiner wants you to write, if your answer isn't 100% correct, learn the right answer.

oh and after a couple of past papers you should have an idea of which areas you're really lacking. find the area in your textbook and do literally every single question.

and mistakes are usually down to just not doing enough questions.

ReputationRep:
    If you got an A in each of the practice papers as you said, but a C in the mock, then that suggests either the paper this year is especially tough, or the difference in environment has some kind of effect on you. Maybe you're being distracted by those around you...? I know I get that. :sad:

Of course, if you weren't timing yourself for the practice papers, that may have something to do with it. :p:

Not sure what to suggest for improvement, though. Just keep doing practice questions, and you should be able to get it.

I think anyone can 'get' maths, it's just that some people have to put in more work than others. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    O- Ren by basic mistakes I mean really silly adding mistakes and stuff like that. I knew HOW to do the math, 'just did it wrong'..

I did time myself at home, and was fine with the time. Idk why it was so different at school.. if I was nervous, maybe. I really wanted to do well in it.

I will def stick with it, given what you people say. :yes:

I really hope my maths teacher will give us another mock under exam conditions, I doubt he will though. I really wanted to reassure myself I could do ok under exam conditions. Quite nervous - making, getting a C. ( the only C I got in the mocks, and in the subject I worked most for.. aaaargh!)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry
    you sound like you are willing to put the hours in and your approach sounds prudent. Believe me, there is no better way to revise than doing past papers because it helps you learn the material, it calibrates your brain to the difficulty of the exam you're going to do and it helps your exam technique.
    I am in year eleven as well and I took maths maths early in november and for about two or three weeks beforehand I did a past paper every day.
    My teachers told me that they would regard it as a failure if I got anything less than an A*, so I really was feeling the pressure.
    Thankfully I got an A*, there's no reason why you can't an A* so carry on doing past papers.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.