Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    This is my first post on this site sorry if this is in the wrong place, but hey im new.
    Ok i have decided to take for a levels the following.
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Law/Economics

I was wondering wether to take Law or Economics? I haven't done either of the subjects so i don't know what they are like. I would really like to do both but unfortunately i cannot due to my school only doing 4 A levels (like most). I am definately doing Physics and Maths. But not sure on chemistry?

Has anyone had any previous experience of these subjects and could advise me on the best combination?

Thanks
    Sam

ReputationRep:
    Economics.

Chemistry is probably the hardest A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    Take Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Economics is more respected as an A Level than Law, but Law isn't too much of a 'soft' subject, and as you'd have three very very strong subjects alongside it, I doubt Law would cause you any problems in terms of reputation. I'd say, with the Maths element, Economics probably fits better as a combination with your other choices. Maths, Physics and Chemistry are all pretty challenging subjects, so if you find written subjects quite straight forward, then Law could be a nice change and slightly less challenging? Just something to consider.

But it does kind of depend what you want to do after your A Levels?

I do Maths and Law out of the subjects you've mentioned, so if you have any specific questions about them I can try and help further :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becbec :))
    Economics is more respected as an A Level than Law, but Law isn't too much of a 'soft' subject, and as you'd have three very very strong subjects alongside it, I doubt Law would cause you any problems in terms of reputation. I'd say, with the Maths element, Economics probably fits better as a combination with your other choices. Maths, Physics and Chemistry are all pretty challenging subjects, so if you find written subjects quite straight forward, then Law could be a nice change and slightly less challenging? Just something to consider.

But it does kind of depend what you want to do after your A Levels?

I do Maths and Law out of the subjects you've mentioned, so if you have any specific questions about them I can try and help further :yep:
    Thankyou for your quick detailed answer.
    I do not really like writing subjects that much so i think i may take economics as you said it does go well with Maths. I'm not sure what i want to do after level but i'm interested in in the physics and computing area so do you think these subjects will work? I.e chemistry?

Thanks again
    Sam
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Samkio)
    I do not really like writing subjects that much so i think i may take economics as you said it does go well with Maths. I'm not sure what i want to do after level but i'm interested in in the physics and computing area so do you think these subjects will work? I.e chemistry?
    I think Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics is a strong and excellent combination of subjects. It will, by no means, be easy though. But if you're up to it. Why not?

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is taking both currently, I can't stress how much that you should go economics. Even if law is considered to be a soft subject, there is PLENTY to memorise and I spend most of my studying time memorising all the cases and facts. If you forget something or can't answer the question, you'll be getting 0 or something really low in that particular essay since its so hard to bullcrap your way through an exam. Economics, on the other hand, is really useful in life and most you have to do is understand the concepts + some good logical thinking and you'll be doing okay. Economics is also a subject where you need writing though not as much as Law where its ALL about writing.

There was 12 people taking law at AS in my year, theres only 5 continuing now, and soon they'll be 3 since 2 more are dropping after offers. ITS A PAIN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samkio)
    Thankyou for your quick detailed answer.

Thanks again
    Sam
    Yeh I think you've got a really strong combination if you're thinking of going down the Physics / Computing route. Chemistry fits in well. Any chance you could take Further Maths? It might be of use :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely do Economics. I did both for AS grades, and couldn't stand anymore of Law as it was just essentially a memory test for most of it. Economics was far more interesting and challenging, and also a lot more relevant. It fits a lot better with your other subjects too.

If your maths is good, and you feel like you can take the extra weight; I'd agree with considering Further Maths as it would help for Universities, plus if choose the Mechanics options, they help a lot with Physics (many of my friends found this). If you didn't want to do it straight away, you could always pick up the AS in your A2 year. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becbec :))
    Yeh I think you've got a really strong combination if you're thinking of going down the Physics / Computing route. Chemistry fits in well. Any chance you could take Further Maths? It might be of use :yep:
    Unfortunately i can't take further maths with the collums system, but i am happy now that i have settled on chosing economics over law.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.