45.45%
    No
    54.55%

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Terrorism kills VERY few people in the grand scheme of things. I don't like how the media's created this awful terrorist hysteria in this country. People are okay with spending increasinly lavish amounts of money (i.e. on those full-body scanners) to further tighten airport security as it asymptotically approaches full terrorist prevention, while a fraction of that money spent in other sectors would save thousands of timesmore lives.

I have no problem with sacrificing human rights to preserve human lives if need be though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving these very convincing poll options. The truth is that it isn't a zero-sum game. A couple of human lives are certainly worth the rights that we enjoy in the 21st Century.

You as citizens need to realise your rights took hundreds of years to acquire and you will give them up easily because of scare tatics presented to you in the media.

Terrorism is a real threat but the problem only grows when you limit human rights and create disillusionment for certain demographics.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Human lives can be saved within a system that values human rights. We are still proof of that, whatever some may argue. In the 9 years since 9/11, we've only had a single successful wide-scale terrorist attack, thanks to the diligence of MI6, MI5 and the police, and despite some notable breaches of human rights on the behalf of the West, we have to a large extent maintained the concept of human rights.

Ultimately, human rights are such an important and indelible concept that I believe they must be preserved at any cost. If that cost is a few human lives, then so be it, because it's not like the Free World has a population of a billion people, or so.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    No.

Human lives can be saved within a system that values human rights. We are still proof of that, whatever some may argue. In the 9 years since 9/11, we've only had a single successful wide-scale terrorist attack, thanks to the diligence of MI6, MI5 and the police, and despite some notable breaches of human rights on the behalf of the West, we have to a large extent maintained the concept of human rights.

Ultimately, human rights are such an important and indelible concept that I believe they must be preserved at any cost. If that cost is a few human lives, then so be it, because it's not like the Free World has a population of a billion people, or so.
    (Original post by CjT)
    I'm loving these very convincing poll options. The truth is that it isn't a zero-sum game. A couple of human lives are certainly worth the rights that we enjoy in the 21st Century.

You as citizens need to realise your rights took hundreds of years to acquire and you will give them up easily because of scare tatics presented to you in the media.

Terrorism is a real threat but the problem only grows when you limit human rights and create disillusionment for certain demographics.
    Both excellent posts. Human rights are more important than people give them credit for. While someone did point out "You can't have rights if you have no life" or something, the converse would be that you should trying living with no rights. It's not great. Both life and liberty need to be preserved.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.