Turn on thread page Beta

People say that doing the IB is equivalent to wanting to commit suicide, but can't. watch

ReputationRep:
    That's what I've heard about the IB. I hate it that our school has changed the A-level system to IB system a few years ago. It's a new IB school but the results are brilliant apparently. Like 5 people got 45 or something in the first year, and 20 getting 40 and above. But anyways, I am in year 11 now and many people in year 12 that has just started their IB recently, have been giving me feedback like:

"You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."

I asked 5 people and thats what they said. Ridiculous, right? So I asked some Year 13's and they said:

"You feel like dying, but you can't die."
    "A lot of work and pressure."
    "You're gonna die." ==;;

Then I asked some nerds. Well, not really nerds. Like those smart people who don't study and get 7's? Yeah, those. Well, they said:

"IB is easy as ****."
    "The easiest subjects are HL math, physics, chemistry. Take those."
    "I don't study for HL math and I got 98% in my unit test."

Yes, well, anyways, I would like to know your opinion.
    1. What do you think about the IB?
    2. What things would you like to be told before the IB?
    3. If you could redo the IB, what sort of changes would their be?
    4. What subjects do YOU consider easy/interesting?

For those who are curious, I am planning to do:
    HL English, History, Biology
    SL Maths, Chinese, Economics

People say I am going to die in HL history and biology. Oh wells :woo:

PS. I am going to read everyone's comment so don't be discouraged IF the thread has a lot of answers. The more the better for me

ReputationRep:
    well no not really, i wouldnt say that it is easy but it isnt very hard either as long as you keep up with the work and start early on all the essays and assignments you get. I'm doing HL bio at the moment and although theres a lot we have to cover I find it really interesting

ReputationRep:
    hey, well i tried ib out for a few weeks and on realising that i actually hated science and maths i dropped out of it and went back to a levels i think its fine if you have a genuine interest in all the subjects your doing, hl english and history were good, you get through so much more than you do at A levels and the syllabus is much more challenging. A lot of the ibs at my school pretty much hate it, but i dont think they understood the amount of work you have to do :l so do your research, speak to the teachers and you'll know if you can cope/enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scumie)
    That's what I've heard about the IB. I hate it that our school has changed the A-level system to IB system a few years ago. It's a new IB school but the results are brilliant apparently. Like 5 people got 45 or something in the first year, and 20 getting 40 and above. But anyways, I am in year 11 now and many people in year 12 that has just started their IB recently, have been giving me feedback like:

"You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."

I asked 5 people and thats what they said. Ridiculous, right? So I asked some Year 13's and they said:

"You're gonna die." ==;;

Then I asked some nerds. Well, not really nerds. Like those smart people who don't study and get 7's? Yeah, those. Well, they said:

"IB is easy as ****."

PS. I am going to read everyone's comment so don't be discouraged IF the thread has a lot of answers. The more the better for me

I do HL history and English, English HL is extremely hard, and History is damn easy, if you pick the right topics.
    But you have a great combination of subjects, I find IB hard, but I'm still predicted 38, so don't worry about only nerds doing well haha

ReputationRep:
    Bull ****. What school do you go to? 20 people getting over 40 is insanely good.

ReputationRep:

"IB is easy as ****."

Firstly, that's absolute bull.
    They're just showing off, and I'm pretty sure they study.

The thing is, IB isn't particularly HARD, it's just got alot to do. Like, the quantity of stuff to do it alot. So if you're really good at time management, and you don't slack off very often, then it's absolutely fine, and you might even enjoy it.

Also, there's a particular way you go about the IB, and if your staff and teachers are crap, then you're screwed. But your school seems to be on top of things, so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

One year of IB has taught me that.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't in the best of schools. And I knew I would be trapped if I continued, so I didn't persevere. *sigh* Never mind.

Anyway, if you're a good student, average even, just keep ontop of things and you'll do fine.

People who say 'you're going to die, you're going to die' are the procrastinator extraordinaires. They've brought it on themselves.

Those subjects sound good.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

"You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."

"You're gonna die." ==;;

"IB is easy as ****."

Hey, don't worry too much about IB... The HLs can be hard, but are mainly just a lot of work, and the SLs are quite easy, you just need to know what is being required of you. For example, for SL English, there's nothing to actually learn (except for a few literary terms like alliteration, metaphor, etc) you just interpret texts, but make sure you read and understand the assessment guidelines so you know what they're looking for - my school didn't give them to us but I searched for them online and got a 7 (actually my teacher phoned me up to say my english exam paper is now an IB model perfect paper :P)

Basically IB is about working hard but also working carefully - it's about what you know, but also about delivering what THEY need so they can tick the boxes for each level (tick you through a 5, a 6, a 7). For example, I remember one of the requirements for an A in a TOK essay was 'shows cultural awareness and neutrality' or something! (well, the IB is Swiss I suppose :P)

However, I did HL sciences, and I can honestly say I needed to learn a lot for them - not only memorise but understand a huge amount of info (but I guess that's the same for A-level sciences as well)

Don't panic, you're not going to die! You won't even be that stressed until you are finishing your Extended Essay/revising for your finals. Just keep on top of work and don't let it build up.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Much.More.to.it)
    Firstly, that's absolute bull.
    They're just showing off, and I'm pretty sure they study.

The thing is, IB isn't particularly HARD, it's just got alot to do.
    Like, the quantity of stuff to do it alot. So if you're really good at time management, and you don't slack off very often, then it's absolutely fine, and you might even enjoy it.

Also, there's a particular way you go about the IB, and if your staff and teachers are crap, then you're screwed. But your school seems to be on top of things, so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

One year of IB has taught me that.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't in the best of schools. And I knew I would be trapped if I continued, so I didn't persevere. *sigh* Never mind.

Anyway, if you're a good student, average even, just keep ontop of things and you'll do fine.

People who say 'you're going to die, you're going to die' are the procrastinator extraordinaires. They've brought it on themselves.

Those subjects sound good.

Good luck!
    Just thought I'd pick you up on this.

For the sake of the OP: The material as such isn't hard, in that it's the same stuff that you would study in A levels or any other FE course.... but (and this is a BIG but) it is MUCH harder to do well at the end of the day because the exams are all localised in one May/ November sitting. This means we have to learn everything for one examination period (unlike modular courses) and also can't rely on retakes.

As Much.More.to.it has said though, organisation is the key. Motivation, determination and perseverance are the three magic qualities that all the top scoring IB students seem to have. You can have the common sense of a lemon, but if you pay attention in class, keep up with the work and study hard for tests you can get a top score (The latter is ultimately the deciding factor though. If you suffer from severe test anxiety IB offers no sympathy whatsoever).

ReputationRep:
    You are already dead.

ReputationRep:

"You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."

"You're gonna die." ==;;

"IB is easy as ****."

It's not THAT bad. Okay, it's very hard, and you'll probably have more/harder work than you've been used to in your life - but if it was that bad, people wouldn't be passing, let alone getting 45 points. In our school the Year 13s (including me :p:) used to mess around the new Year 12s by telling them how much hell they were in for, but honestly, if you're fairly intelligent and work hard it's not a struggle. Don't do what I did and attempt to skate by just doing whatever was absolutely necessary, then scramble to keep up a few weeks later, because that WILL make your life miserable (but I still survived and did well, so it's not as awful as you've been told).

But DON'T listen to the people who tell you HL Maths/Physics/Chem are incredibly easy. They're liars. HL Bio's not bad at all though, there's just a lot of memorising and good notes needed. Overall your subject combination looks fine, pretty interesting with a good choice of HLs (if you like English Lit, HL English is amaaaazing). SL Maths is variable - hard if you're not good at maths, easy if you are - so pretty much like any other maths course, then. Chinese is much the same - if you're in SL B, fluency will pretty much guarantee you a 6/7. I know nothing about History/Economics so I can't say much about them :p:

IB in general is incredibly interesting. I found I got as much out of the way we were being made to think, as WHAT we were actually learning. It's a very different experience to GCSE/O levels. The subjects themselves were fine and quite interesting (apart from Business, but then I had a really crappy teacher and didn't like the subject anyway). TOK is a bit odd - some people really love it and know exactly what to do, and some people find it a waste of time. The EE was one of my favourite parts of the whole course, as I got to write at length about a subject I found really interesting, but some people hate having to write so much, and again others think it's a waste of time (often because they can't be bothered to research a topic in detail - the ones who like it tend to be the ones focusing on specific interests of theirs). CAS can be a great opportunity to try things you've never done before and to get credit for things you're already doing, but at my school it was badly organised and most people got fed up with trying to scramble for hours. Done properly, it shouldn't be a problem at all though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iapetus)
    Just thought I'd pick you up on this.

For the sake of the OP: The material as such isn't hard, in that it's the same stuff that you would study in A levels or any other FE course.... but (and this is a BIG but) it is MUCH harder to do well at the end of the day because the exams are all localised in one May/ November sitting. This means we have to learn everything for one examination period (unlike modular courses) and also can't rely on retakes.

As Much.More.to.it has said though, organisation is the key. Motivation, determination and perseverance are the three magic qualities that all the top scoring IB students seem to have. You can have the common sense of a lemon, but if you pay attention in class, keep up with the work and study hard for tests you can get a top score (The latter is ultimately the deciding factor though. If you suffer from severe test anxiety IB offers no sympathy whatsoever).
    Ah yes, ofcourse. Retakes and Module testings. Forgot about that, because I don't think I'm in a position to resit any of my A-levels either :P, and for my GCSE equivalents, I did a syllabus that didn't even consider resits ever existing.

So the transaction from that course to IB wasn't that hard for me, as in, the fact that you are tested on EVERYTHING at the end of it all, and that you aren't allowed resits wasn't a shocker or anything.

but I suppose it does matter to you, OP.

Just make a time table, and stick to it. Job done.

ReputationRep:
    Its very good if you aren't too sure about which area of study you want to do at uni because it offers your 6 diverse subjects.
    That you will REALLY need to prioritize your life and religiously stick to a study plan. Time management is key.
    Umm...I would never redo the IB. Once is enough, I'd rather not go through all of that again considering how lazy I am.
    I think that English HL is quite easy. So is Business & Management HL.
    Biology HL is good if the teachers end up choosing interesting topics.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It's perfect if you aren't sure what you want to study, or if you enjoy a wide range of subjects. What I liked about it a lot, is that even if you do bad in your first year, that won't count, so you can still do great in the exams.
    well I heard the same stuff about how I was going to die.. in reality, you only have to stay up all night if you procrastinate and you still have time to be with your friends. I used to have finished my work at around 10 each night. The bad thing though is that you can never say you don't have any homework because there is always something you can work on.
    I might have taken some different subjects, based on what I want to do now.
    If you want to maximize your score, biology sl and math sl are pretty good. Also HL social anthropology is almost exactly the same as SL social a. so you might as well take it HL

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good course. In theory. Speaking as a current IB student, I don't think my experience of IB is necessarily how IB should be. It's the first year my school has done it, there's only 10 of us, and the teachers aren't very experienced, so we are under a lot more pressure than typical IB students. All the same, it's a challenging course and not one that should be done if you particularly enjoy having a lot of activities outside of school. Prepare for a lot of work and a lot of pressure.

I would have like to have been told that I would be under this much pressure, then I probably wouldn't have taken the course. But like I said, I don't think it's a typical IB situation at my school.

I wouldn't redo the IB.

I do HL History, Geography, and German, and SL Biology, English, and Maths. Personally I find Maths and Biology hardest in terms of actually understanding the content, but German and History hardest in terms of having a lot to remember.

I think the main thing with IB is that you have to be committed. You have to be 100% sure that it's what you want to do otherwise your motivation will just drop and it'll be like banging your head against a brick wall. I would advise you not to do it, but ultimately I think I am quite biased and it's your decision. Good luck, either way.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for actually answering the question that I want to know.

@loonyplatypus: Do you biology HL? The past paper made me really scared, but I just really love biology. I think its a very interesting subject - however, I heard that it is very tough and rigorous course. Everyone I asked says that it is hard. But if you are dedicated to it and will work hard, it will be okay right??

@maria91: My school doesn't offer social anthropology. :/ Do you do biology SL? Would love to know more

@loonyplatypus: Please tell me more about history HL... (: I have not done it for GCSE but I think that I will be interested in it, as well as spending lots of time on it.

ReputationRep:

1. Hmm...well, I think the IB is hard - of course - and it's a lot of work but so far I don't think its suicidal-hard. I'm only in my 1st year though, and I know next year has a horribly long deadline list. :/ Actually, just this morning, the gr. 12s (Year 13) were telling us of the huge difference between the first and second year of IB.
    2. I think, just to know what a typical week is like.
    3. Well, I'm still doing the IB....but I guess so far I would say to just keep in mind to try and get as much done as soon as possible and not procrastinate. (:
    4. My subjects:
    HL English, Biology, Psychology
    SL Maths, Mandarin, Swedish Self-Taught

I really think psychology isn't too hard, but I want to study psychology in Uni and find it really interesting.
    Bio HL - it's a lot of information but making note cards really helps me. Also, I think a lot of what you do isn't completely new and so some parts are more of a revision but also adding on more info. (:
    English isn't too bad either, as soon as you get the hang of writing the essays it's all good - and as long as you like your essay books and topic.

Hope I helped a little bit at least!

ReputationRep:
    You're going to die. :awesome:

Naah, i do history HL and bio HL and i'm predicted 7s in both of them, theres a lot of info to take in for them but the concepts aren't particularly hard.
    You need to be able to manage your time basically, once you've got that sorted then everything kinda slots into place.
    Personally, although it's ******* hard at times, I like the IB. Although you're still going to die.

ReputationRep:

"You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."
    "You're gonna die."

"You're gonna die." ==;;

"IB is easy as ****."

Firstly, if you’re going to do the IB you need to pretty much be an all-rounder and be prepared to work, if you’re prepared to work then it’s fine. What it’s like compared to A levels, I don’t know as I haven’t done A levels, but friends doing A levels seem to have far less work. I think the IB is only good for certain people, if you’re more of a specialist then it’s no good as when you could get AAA in A level you could end up with a relatively low grade in IB as certain subjects can easily bring you down. My brother is very much science and maths based so IB would be no good for him, but for me who’s good at most subjects it’s fine. I am extremely exhausted at the moment though with deadlines and pressure from teachers, but I suppose you’d get the same thing with any qualifications of the same level.
    I would’ve liked to have been told to consolidate all my work from the beginning and that it’s essential to keep revising even though the exams seem ages away. There’s so much to learn that’s it’s impossible to just revise it a few weeks before the exam. We have had mocks after the summer holiday and Christmas holiday, so I had to revise over summer and Christmas and even then I’m finding it hard to fully revise it all. So my only advice is to looking though your work ever so often and check you understand and if you don’t ask your teacher, don’t just wait and think “It’ll be alright”.

I’m taking my exams this May so I’m not entirely sure what I would change until I get my results. I’m doing Biology, English and Art at HL and Maths, History and Spanish ab initio at SL with an EE in Biology. I love all my subjects apart from, for me, History can be a bit boring, but it doesn’t seem too bad judging on my mock result, in fact this time round I did better in my History than preferred subjects! I would maybe have chosen Psychology instead though as I think it would interest me more. I’m applying for Biology at university and a lot of universities wouldn’t even consider me without Chemistry but there’s no way I’d give up my Art to do the extra science as I’ve got offers from very good universities so it doesn’t seem to matter. If you have any idea about what you want to do at university check in prospectuses about any specific subjects they want.

It’s pointless saying really what subjects are easy and which aren’t as everyone has different opinions. For me all my HL subjects are easier because I find them interesting. There is a hell of a lot of work in Visual Arts though but I enjoy it so much and it’s such a relief from all the other subjects. I think Biology is not necessarily easy but I find it so interesting hence doing it at university and all my friends who study HL History love it. If you have an interest in the subject you’ll be fine. HL English is probably one of the easiest subjects to move from HL to SL from, you only have to read a few extra texts and like SL you go into the exam with 50% of the course done with IOP, IOC and World Literature essays. I got an A in GCSE Maths and I find SL Maths hard at times, but that doesn’t mean I’d recommend Maths Studies as it’s not as respected as SL or HL. Although all the exams are at the end of the two years which makes it harder, you have coursework, so get that to the highest grade you can so you can go into the exam with maybe a level 2/3 already depending on the percentage coursework counts for.

Wow…I’ve written loads, if you want to ask anything just PM me cos I’ve had year 11s ask me at school about certain subjects etc. etc. Basically IB is fine as long as you have an interest in all the subjects and are prepared to put in the work. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    Naah, i do history HL and bio HL and i'm predicted 7s in both of them, theres a lot of info to take in for them but the concepts aren't particularly hard.
    Oh wow, you do HL history and biology? I absolutely ADORE biology at IGCSE level and I just love it love it love it. It's amazing to know how your body works and everything. But I heard that it is very tough at IB and that is worrying me, since I have history at HL which I have not done in GCSE. But I will be dedicated to spending all my two years on doing loads of work. Please tell me more about biology and history (: Is it difficult to handle them both together, seeing that they both require so much memorizing.

(Original post by 00EyeOfTheStorm00)
    It’s pointless saying really what subjects are easy and which aren’t as everyone has different opinions. For me all my HL subjects are easier because I find them interesting. There is a hell of a lot of work in Visual Arts though but I enjoy it so much and it’s such a relief from all the other subjects. I think Biology is not necessarily easy but I find it so interesting hence doing it at university and all my friends who study HL History love it. If you have an interest in the subject you’ll be fine. HL English is probably one of the easiest subjects to move from HL to SL from, you only have to read a few extra texts and like SL you go into the exam with 50% of the course done with IOP, IOC and World Literature essays. I got an A in GCSE Maths and I find SL Maths hard at times, but that doesn’t mean I’d recommend Maths Studies as it’s not as respected as SL or HL. Although all the exams are at the end of the two years which makes it harder, you have coursework, so get that to the highest grade you can so you can go into the exam with maybe a level 2/3 already depending on the percentage coursework counts for.
    Thanks for the incredible long post. I was going to rep you, but stupid TSR said that I had to wait 28 days?? Oh well, thanks so much anyway. I would love to know more from your friends about HL History and why they love it so much. Is it okay considering the fact I have not done it at GCSE? One or two people at my school said its harder than higher math, which got me worried D:

I actually chose math studies, but my math teacher found out and changed it to math standard. She said I have potential and I get A* in my IGCSE exams. But I always thought that there was a huge gap between IGCSE and IB - I might try it out for a couple of weeks and then drop it if I find it too hard. Nonetheless, I hate math. Or any sciences, apart from biology.

Also do tell me more about biology. Is it a lot of memorizing? A lot of people at my school (A LOT!) told me not to choose it and that you have to memorize so many vocabularies and stuff.

(Original post by pink giggle)
    I really think psychology isn't too hard, but I want to study psychology in Uni and find it really interesting.
    Bio HL - it's a lot of information but making note cards really helps me. Also, I think a lot of what you do isn't completely new and so some parts are more of a revision but also adding on more info. (:
    English isn't too bad either, as soon as you get the hang of writing the essays it's all good - and as long as you like your essay books and topic.

Hope I helped a little bit at least!
    Thanks so much. I am also doing HL english and biology. Please tell me more about it? I really want to know more about my subjects so I am fully prepared. Can you possible study biology all by yourself? I do it all the time in biology at IGCSE, not sure if its possible at IB?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much. I am also doing HL english and biology. Please tell me more about it? I really want to know more about my subjects so I am fully prepared. Can you possible study biology all by yourself? I do it all the time in biology at IGCSE, not sure if its possible at IB?
    Hmm, well I really don't have much to add to HL English right now because we've been doing the exact same thing as SL so far. We pretty much just go through the books, and write an essay for each of them and also doing some practice commentaries along the way. (:
    Bio - we've done two labs so far and a lot of quizzes and tests. Our teacher really thinks that having more quizzes will help us in the long run and they probably will. The amount of information is really way much, but obviously some parts of Bio seem easier whilst others are crazy hard. Like I hate cells and so I just have to spend more time going through all of it.
    Well, when you say study by yourself do you mean just to review at home...? I think its possible, I have the IB studyguide for Bio and it has everything you need to know so I highlight and write small notes in it to help me remember things.

Well, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. (:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.