Turn on thread page Beta

People say that doing the IB is equivalent to wanting to commit suicide, but can't. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scumie)
    Thanks guys for actually answering the question that I want to know.

@loonyplatypus: Do you biology HL? The past paper made me really scared, but I just really love biology. I think its a very interesting subject - however, I heard that it is very tough and rigorous course. Everyone I asked says that it is hard. But if you are dedicated to it and will work hard, it will be okay right??

@loonyplatypus: Please tell me more about history HL... (: I have not done it for GCSE but I think that I will be interested in it, as well as spending lots of time on it.
    Well, I don't do HL Biology, but I don't find SL too hard. I'm not a science-y person so I can't really comment on this one

HL History is fine! It's not hard to do or understand, it's just that there's a lot of work involved, and a LOAD of essays. I enjoy it and am going to do History at university, but my teacher is really good so that helps. If you don't like any of the History teachers at your school, then I would advise against it, because that makes a huge difference. But the not having done a History GCSE doesn't make any difference, there is one boy in my History class who didn't do History GCSE and is now doing it to HL, but he's doing fine.

ReputationRep:
    Can you possible study biology all by yourself? I do it all the time in biology at IGCSE, not sure if its possible at IB?
    My IB Bio teacher was terrible, so pretty much all the work I put in was self-study (including two weeks of revising the entire syllabus, just before the final exam). I ended up with a 7. Some of it is to do with natural aptitude and ability to memorise (there's a lot of facts and processes to remember, but none of them are VERY difficult), but good study technique will take you far even without a good teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the incredible long post. I was going to rep you, but stupid TSR said that I had to wait 28 days?? Oh well, thanks so much anyway. I would love to know more from your friends about HL History and why they love it so much. Is it okay considering the fact I have not done it at GCSE? One or two people at my school said its harder than higher math, which got me worried D:

I actually chose math studies, but my math teacher found out and changed it to math standard. She said I have potential and I get A* in my IGCSE exams. But I always thought that there was a huge gap between IGCSE and IB - I might try it out for a couple of weeks and then drop it if I find it too hard. Nonetheless, I hate math. Or any sciences, apart from biology.

Also do tell me more about biology. Is it a lot of memorizing? A lot of people at my school (A LOT!) told me not to choose it and that you have to memorize so many vocabularies and stuff.
    I think mainly they like it because of the teacher cos he's pretty badass, luckily I have him this year for SL too. Also cos they're doing HL they obviously have an interest in the subject which helps. I think History is a subject that pretty much anyone can do, it's memorising and common sense with the different historical interpretations, so you should be fine as long as you have an interest.

The same with Biology, we have a really good teacher but also I find it interesting so it's easier for me to memorise. Some of my friends hate Biology so they find it harder to remember. There is quite a lot to remember and the really hard topics like respiration and photosynthesis (a big step up from GCSE, you no longer just need to know that carbon dioxide and water make glucose and oxygen) I'd advise looking over them a lot just so it sticks in for the exams. If many people advise you not to do it, maybe it's due to the teacher? Cos pretty much everyone at my school loves it due to the teacher.

I don't know what you want to study at university but I would try and stick with Maths SL, especially if you got an A* you should be ok, but it is quite a jump from GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Take what they say into consideration, but honestly, IB is not as bad as they say.

However, you always have to stay on top of your game if you're aiming high. If you're like me, and you want 6s and 7s in everything, you can't stop working, you really can't. That doesn't mean that you can't have a day or two off hanging out with friends (because I still manage to do that), but you can't leave homework to the last minute, you must always do work as soon as you get it. It's also vital that you pay attention in class, because really, that's what ensures your "survival".

Another thing is, don't fully regard your GCSEs as an indication of how well you'll do in IB, because it can go both ways. Someone who did really well in GCSEs may not do well in IB and vice versa. GCSEs is easy to ace because you don't even have to be intelligent to do well - it's mainly rote learning. And, some people who work so hard during GCSEs end up running out of steam. Also with IB it's the combination of hard work and the ability to actually understand things which will guarantee good marks.

ReputationRep:
    ^Blates a first year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

like other people have said, it depends on the school you attend, and the teachers. I was taught outside of the UK, and the school just isn't that good.

One thing that you must remember is that your final grade is scaled (What that actually means????) Anybody got a clue. Anyway, first you get a moderated grade, then this grade is scaled, in other words, the grade is dropped. My overall grade was dropped by over 32%. How can that be?????
    On the transcript for my grades, for my psychology IA, I was awarded 0. On getting in touch with the IB Organisation, they were less use than a chocolate fireguard. I contacted the school, and they told me that it is virtually impossible to get 0. So the IB Coordinator for the school got in touch with the IB. IB did not contact him, but upon checking the status of things, he found that I was then given a grade 5, but low and behold, this was scaled back to 2. How can that be? It's like sitting an exam, getting 75% and then being told, oh sorry, you can only have 45%.
    If I were anybody out there thinking of taking the IB Diploma, my suggestion would be to avoid it like the plague.

Upon researching this, I found that in America, they are actually trying to get the IB Diploma taken out of public school.

I hope this helps....By the way, I'm still waiting for an answer from the IB regarding this situation, who knows what else was put incorrectly into their grading system...sure does make one think....Oh yeah, so my moderated grade of 32 was scaled to 20.

IB don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Googly Bear)
    Hi there,

like other people have said, it depends on the school you attend, and the teachers. I was taught outside of the UK, and the school just isn't that good.

One thing that you must remember is that your final grade is scaled (What that actually means????) Anybody got a clue. Anyway, first you get a moderated grade, then this grade is scaled, in other words, the grade is dropped. My overall grade was dropped by over 32%. How can that be?????
    On the transcript for my grades, for my psychology IA, I was awarded 0. On getting in touch with the IB Organisation, they were less use than a chocolate fireguard. I contacted the school, and they told me that it is virtually impossible to get 0. So the IB Coordinator for the school got in touch with the IB. IB did not contact him, but upon checking the status of things, he found that I was then given a grade 5, but low and behold, this was scaled back to 2. How can that be? It's like sitting an exam, getting 75% and then being told, oh sorry, you can only have 45%.
    If I were anybody out there thinking of taking the IB Diploma, my suggestion would be to avoid it like the plague.

Upon researching this, I found that in America, they are actually trying to get the IB Diploma taken out of public school.

I hope this helps....By the way, I'm still waiting for an answer from the IB regarding this situation, who knows what else was put incorrectly into their grading system...sure does make one think....Oh yeah, so my moderated grade of 32 was scaled to 20.

IB don't do it.
    The IB require students to complete internal assessments in classes. You already refer to them as IAs. These can be labs, world literature papers, historical investigations, and mathematical portfolios, for example. Your teachers mark them and give you a grade. The IB then ask for a random selection of students in that class in order to make sure that the teachers are marking accurately-- not too easily and not strenuously. In other words, they are trying to act in the best AND WORST interest of the student; they want you to have a fair mark under their guidelines. Let's say you get evaluated as a 7 by your teacher and they ask for your IA and find it's actually a 5, they scale everyone in the class back by a certain amount to accomodate for this. So that's what happened to your IA-- your teacher couldn't mark you effectively and you are paying for his inaccuracies.

Likely, you didn't actually have a chance at getting a 5; your teacher planted those seeds in your head, but he didn't know that you were NOT meeting the guidelines set by the IB. You're probably not a 2 either, but you are probably in between. They may be inaccurate, but they use a nice sample size so I don't think they are too far off. Sure, I lost points due to IB moderation (enough to cost me a lot in chemistry and French), but it's all part of standardizing things. I'm sorry for you and hope you reach some solace over the next few months-- I hope you get the opportunity to go to university and follow your dreams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vms1993)
    Take what they say into consideration, but honestly, IB is not as bad as they say.

However, you always have to stay on top of your game if you're aiming high. If you're like me, and you want 6s and 7s in everything, you can't stop working, you really can't. That doesn't mean that you can't have a day or two off hanging out with friends (because I still manage to do that), but you can't leave homework to the last minute, you must always do work as soon as you get it. It's also vital that you pay attention in class, because really, that's what ensures your "survival".
    I just thought I should highlight these points, because they are 100% true. If you follow the rule of doing homework as soon as you get it rather than leaving it for the deadline, you won't run into many problems and you'll be able to say "yeah I'm free tonight" more often than not on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I also want to add that IB work is a fantastic preparation for university. IB teaches you discipline, perserverance and time management skills. Those are all things you need for a degree too, and I've found IB very helpful in my first year at uni. So if you're in for studying at uni, IB is a good programme to do.

EDIT: oh and if you get personal study classes, use them! They really save your evening when you have a lot of work to do.

ReputationRep:
    1. What do you think about the IB?
    I think it's torture. Death by boring SL subjects.
    2. What things would you like to be told before the IB?
    How much work you have to put into SL subjects, and how much of a life-sapping nightmare the extended essay is.
    3. If you could redo the IB, what sort of changes would their be?
    I'd be on A levels.
    4. What subjects do YOU consider easy/interesting?
    HL art and chemistry, the saving graces of my IB. HL art's a dream because there are no real rules. The A level people are beavering away in their sketchbooks, and our teacher is telling is to run wild and be as insane as we want to be. And chemistry's fantastic because it's insanely hard and it keeps my brain running at top speed so that I don't sink into the puritan artist mindset, which I've been in before, and I didn't like it. I also find it fascinating to learn why things happen, and love it when I can explain simple things just by applying what I know from the lab. Also ToK is interesting, but that might just be because our ToK teacher is awesome and we just have random chats (usually involving cats).

Ah so for all that complaining it's probably not that bad after all... She said, procrastinating from her EE.
    My words of advice to future IB people: learn to love caffeine in it's many and varried forms. It will be your friend if you intent to try and have a life while doing IB.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but I find IB quite easy to be honest. I have no idea what A-Levels are, but my school runs APs and if you take 11 APs(which some do), then they are definitely harder than the diploma.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.