Turn on thread page Beta

Four siblings at Uni at the same time! watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I am planning on starting university this October. I have had a few gap years so it turns out that I will be a fresher alongside my brother and step brother (all at different unis). I also have a brother who is already at Uni. So there will be four of us from the same family studying at the same time.

Does anyone know if any allowance will be made for this when assessing our financial entitlement? If so how much of a different is this likely to make? :confused: Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i also want to know this because me and my brother will be starting university in september but at differnt university

Well I'm not sure to be honest how it will affect you, but at the start of the student finance application you're asked how many children are dependent on your parents, but I'm not sure if that includes those who are going to university too.

I'm somewhat sure that it does, however, and then student finance will take into account that the household income is spread across more than one person.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably get the maximum loan, they ask how many of your siblings are in full-time education.

ReputationRep:
    I have a twin brother so started in the same year but it didn't affect it, no.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, four in a row, ur parents must have been busy. lol.

ReputationRep:
    wow and i thought it was going to be bad with me at uni and 2 yrs into the course my 2 brothers going uni too!

ReputationRep:
    entirely depends on how much your parents earn.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    They make a small allowance for having siblings at university. The only way to be sure is to give them a quick call to see It's best to do it now before the absolute chaos that calling them will soon become.

ReputationRep:
    The SAAS (Scotland) system is to work out your parents' contribution based on their income. They then take £195 off this for each child at university and split the remainder equally across each child. No idea if elsewhere uses the same system though.

ReputationRep:
    It will make some difference but not an awful lot.

The only concession will be that SFE will reduce the total household income by £1130 for each other person in the household who is under 16 or over 16 and in full time education when they calculate how much grant and loan to award you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.