Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which uni has the most northern/midland students? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glasshouse_Life)
    Haha sorry, I didn't mean to sound quite so angry.
    eee dont worry! but i have noticed over the past 5/6 years of so that theres more southerners up here, thats all!

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about southerners but when I first went to Newcastle it did feel like there were a lot of public school kids.

Looking back to those early days I have concluded that the 'rah' character (a term I had never heard before uni) simply stood out more as they often have quite loud and deep voices haha.
    Maybe on Osbourne Road it gets a bit much some times...

ReputationRep:
    Probably Northern/Midlands Universities. :rofl:

At my Uni most people I know are from Northern/Midlands places such as Durham, Birmingham, Leeds, York, Doncaster, Grimsby, Huddersfield, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Leicester etc. Though I know a few people from southern places such as Essex, Reading, Cambridge, London, Kent and Dorset.

Though I'm not going to tell you what Uni I go to because I don't think you'll like it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I come from the (Grim) North and most of the universities I've applied to are in the south, althought I've applied to 2 Northern unis I doubt I'll end up going to either of them.

Generally you'll find fewer northerners in the south and vice versa. Although I'd think places like Durham are an exception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glasshouse_Life)
    Don't know about southerners but when I first went to Newcastle it did feel like there were a lot of public school kids.

Looking back to those early days I have concluded that the 'rah' character (a term I had never heard before uni) simply stood out more as they often have quite loud and deep voices haha.
    Maybe on Osbourne Road it gets a bit much some times...
    As I am not a Uni student (yet) I have no idea what that means :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Generally you'll find fewer northerners in the south and vice versa. Although I'd think places like Durham are an exception.
    Very much so, although that doesn't mean they are all bad or that the ratio is 90:10 as some would have you believe
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    Very much so, although that doesn't mean they are all bad or that the ratio is 90:10 as some would have you believe
    I've no ideas about the ratio, but I can't imagine I'll find many fellow Northerners if I end up in Southampton.

My brother goes to Warwick and I think he knows only a handful of Northerners (one of whom actually lives a few miles up the road, surprisingly)

ReputationRep:
    This is something I completely didn't think about when I moved from Preston to Exeter. It wasn't an issue at all but now I have to say that sometimes the rah culture really gets too much (although Exeter uni does have an reputation for rah's anyway, missed that one too when I was applying). It's not really because of a fundemental difference between north/south, and the Devon locals are actually very similar to what I'm used to (funny accent, country pubs) but the people from London and the south east seem to have a very different culture to me and as one of the few northerners I have at times felt a bit lonely.

I don't think it's a factor that should decide whether you go to the uni or not but it's something to be aware of in the back of your mind definitely.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fresher at Nottingham, and I have met hardly no-one from the north. I'm from cumbria, which is obv pretty far north, and I've met so many people from London! The only northerners/midlanders I've met is a guy from doncaster, one from chester, one from nottingham and one from birmingham. Literally everyone else I've met is from south of Nottingham.

I think it is fair to say that southerners do tend to branch out more and travel further, whereas us northerners tend to stick to local ground. Most of my friends from home have stayed up north, the likes of Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Durham, Northumbria, Huddersfield, Leeds, Lancaster etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.