Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just wondered if passing CFA level 1 really helps MSc Finance application?
    Is there anyone with a not good GPA/GMAT but passed CFA level 1 managed to get in a top tier MSc Finance ? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    At most it will help with schools which like to see work experience prior to undertaking a MSc Finance (such as LBS). For all the others, which include Oxbridge, LSE and the like, it doesn't matter at all. They really don't care if you have a CFA1. It look nice of course, but doesn't add much.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely YES

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsingh)
    At most it will help with schools which like to see work experience prior to undertaking a MSc Finance (such as LBS). For all the others, which include Oxbridge, LSE and the like, it doesn't matter at all. They really don't care if you have a CFA1. It look nice of course, but doesn't add much.
    Is that really true?
    I'm gonna to apply for LSE MSc Finance next year and considering sitting for CFA level 1.
    If so, maybe CFA is just a waste of time at the moment.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozania)
    Is that really true?
    I'm gonna to apply for LSE MSc Finance next year and considering sitting for CFA level 1.
    If so, maybe CFA is just a waste of time at the moment.
    Thanks
    I'm doing LSE MSc Finance and Economics right now and the only people here who have passed CFA1 are those who did it as part of a previous job. No one has done it with the thought of improving their chances for admission, incl. myself, and of course they all got in. The thing with MSc Finance is that it is more targeted towards people who already have some work experience. IMHO, what they are looking for is just that, work experience, not necessarily a CFA1. If you want to, of course go ahead since it doesn't in anyway hurt your chances, and if anything only makes you stand out.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like CFA level 1 does increase the admission chance to LSE MSc Finance
    I emailed to ask about it and here's the answer:
    Dear Linh,

Thank you for your email. You academic background is the most vital aspect, and the CFA will also be considered when reviewing your application.

Regards,

Emma

Emma Coker

Graduate Admissions Assistant

Department of Finance

London School of Economics

Houghton Street

WC2A 2AE

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to know whether work experience is a very specific requirement for the M.Sc. Finance course in LSE ? I have passed the Level 1 exam and am going to complete the further levels too. But I would very much like to get a place at LSE to study Finance. How do I go about it ?

NB: I have no work experience whatsoever !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.